HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2006, 02:17 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Personally I like 8 on the e version the sloper guys like 8.5 to 8.75 sometimes.
8 'on the E version will still roll verry axially ,and will track better at higher speeds ,it also wont be tipstally a low speeds either.The downfall is it flys inverted with a little more reflex but still flys great.If it is tail heavy it will be loopy and floatie but wont track as well at high speeds,Find your happy spot.
On the slope with lighter wingloading it is ok to be a little light in the nose ,it will still yank out of a tipstall no prob.
I will be waitin for the maiden report, do you have a close up pik of your motor thrust ange from the bottom of the wing.This wing is verry touchy to thrust angle posistions.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBall Flies!
Hey CK, about the CG, what is the range I can play with? I am aiming for axial roll and little to no input for inverted flying. I have it currently at 8 1/2
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Successful maiden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Personally I like 8 on the e version the sloper guys like 8.5 to 8.75 sometimes.
8 'on the E version will still roll verry axially ,and will track better at higher speeds ,it also wont be tipstally a low speeds either.The downfall is it flys inverted with a little more reflex but still flys great.If it is tail heavy it will be loopy and floatie but wont track as well at high speeds,Find your happy spot.
On the slope with lighter wingloading it is ok to be a little light in the nose ,it will still yank out of a tipstall no prob.
I will be waitin for the maiden report, do you have a close up pik of your motor thrust ange from the bottom of the wing.This wing is verry touchy to thrust angle posistions.
ck

Hi CK,

I have the cg at about 8.4 today and maidened successfully. Will try to get some pics for the flight and motor mount position. If you haven't told me about the 8" position, I would have concluded my wing as being tail heavy lol. You are completely right about the flight characteristics, it doesn't track that well to too much input or tight turns, seems to loop real small too lol. I landed the wing and put in 50gram dead weight on the nose and it tracks much better and flies closer to my style. What really surprises me is that the wing tracks really straight and true and does not really suffer from any torque issue. Whether the throttle is off or on, it flies the same way and glides like there is no tomorrow. I was even able to land the wing with pretty high flare and it did not tip stall on me, it simply got to a point where it belly flops and settles on the ground. Note my elevator was pulled held on quite back a bit for this landing, I am impressed by the wing

I met with 1 problem though, I am using Jeti Spin 66 (70amp) and I encountered throttle down several times. I was not able to go 100% out for the flight. Kept it at 50%- 75% to trim (1 to 2 clicks) and flew it around to get used to it. I will work on the wing next to make it balance at 8" without the weight and install a small air intake somewhere to cool the ESC. I suspect either my ESC is overheating or the amp draw is too high, I am using 6.3 by 4 APC prop. Only managed a flight today cos the weather is real bad, only 1 flight opportunity during the whole day passing showers

CK, how many holes has the motor mount got? I am considering pushing the motor in more, need to confirm if my memory serves me correctly.
EdBall Flies! is offline Find More Posts by EdBall Flies!
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Darn, couldn't get my PC to recognise my camera. CK, I will try to get some pics tomorrow instead, what I noticed about the thrust angle is that there is a very slight upthrust which in flight is not noticeable between power on and off.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:06 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Yep there are 3 hole per side of mount.I say just push the motor forward alittle.
The prop you are using is a heavy gaser prop it bogs the motor and draws way to many amps.Use a 6/4 apc sport it works great also a 5.5/4.5 apc . They are both lighter and will turn more eficiently .
You are pulling around 65 amps static on 4s on a 5.5/4.5 at 32 krpm.
So i thinx your esc is stuggling.
ck
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:19 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Yep there are 3 hole per side of mount.I say just push the motor forward alittle.
The prop you are using is a heavy gaser prop it bogs the motor and draws way to many amps.Use a 6/4 apc sport it works great also a 5.5/4.5 apc . They are both lighter and will turn more eficiently .
You are pulling around 65 amps static on 4s on a 5.5/4.5 at 32 krpm.
So i thinx your esc is stuggling.
ck
Damn, I knew it, I was looking at the prop funny and wondered if it was too heavy for the motor. I just can't get the right stuff here in Singapore! I will stick to 5.5/ 4.5 meanwhile.
Last edited by EdBall Flies!; Dec 17, 2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:35 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Nice looking wing..

I was supprised just how far back the CG could go and still do what is talked about I think on my 50 i wound up at 7.75 inches and i like it there.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:45 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Ed looks awesome,the thrust angle looks rite in the pic too.The foil is verry symetricat so it will be nose up at low speeds and track way better than a lifting foil will at high speeds.
Is it fast enough for ya?
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBall Flies!
Damn, I knew it, I was looking at the prop funny and wondered if it was too heavy for the motor. I just can't get the right stuff here in Singapore! I will stick to 5.5/ 4.5 meanwhile.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Thanks to Paul and CK, many great help along the way to get wing right.

I have got my batteries and video cam ready, will post some vids later this week Just can;t bloody wait for the weekends to come again.

Hey come to think of it, Ritewing travelled far too. There is one now zooming about in the east now though I have not bveing able to go "fast" yet, theESC is cutting down for me due to overheating or overamping lol

More details on what I am working on:

- Ordered some 6/4 APC sports, sticking to 5.5/4.5 meanwhile. I am not sure if this is enough to resolve the Jeti Spin cutting throttle for me. I am thinking of using the plastic spoon method to get some airflow in to cool it. What do you guys think? It was previously spinning 6.3/4 Gasser prop which may be the culprit bringing the amp too high. Oh btw, do you guys set your ESC to advance timing with no brakes?

- I am working on getting the motor to sit inward more. May still need a bit of weight in the front to balance at 8". I read some parts about the glitches you guys are facing when using 4s config. My question is, are your guys using PPM receivers too? My experience for flying wing is that PPM suffers quite a lot of glitches due to the fact the receiver are placed pretty close (if not right to each other) in many cases. I never had any issues with a PCM receiver and I am wondering if I can go without the Opto Isolator and BEC and go lighter?
Last edited by EdBall Flies!; Dec 18, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Thnx ed for all your feed back ,once you get the cg alittle more forward you will love it even more.
The Rite wing will travel even to the far east LOL
Ck
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Anybody tried AS123's on a Ritewing?

It looks like a 6S1P A123 pack will handle the current and the A123's just hold the current great. I'm thinking of a Mega 16/15/4C turning a 4.5/4.1 APCe .... The A123 pack should hold a constant 15.5v under load.

kilque when will you have some TL50's ready to ship?

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
IIRC Chris has an a123-powered TL50 for sale.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
What's a custom title?
Tracy, CA
Joined Feb 2006
208 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the a123 demon twin that's for sale.
navyguy is offline Find More Posts by navyguy
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:20 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Yep it is the twin.
Brad the prop you are thinkin of usin is just way too small for any decent performance on the fity.Go to 5s a123 and use your 4 turn w a 6/4 apc sport ,it will be way better.
I am selling the verry first twin 45 demon w 17 a123 cells, configured as 2 5s pax and 7 loose cells.The pax have hyperion ballance leads on them.
150.00 plus 30.00 shipped.It is built for big power and is not a foatie loftie tapie.You cant even get the bats alone for that price.
I am also sellin a slightly older version of the cc 60 for 60.00$ bux that is brand new in package still,if anyone is interested?
ck
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:17 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpaul
Anybody tried AS123's on a Ritewing?

It looks like a 6S1P A123 pack will handle the current and the A123's just hold the current great. I'm thinking of a Mega 16/15/4C turning a 4.5/4.1 APCe .... The A123 pack should hold a constant 15.5v under load.

kilque when will you have some TL50's ready to ship?

Brad
I have a TL50 running A123's 5s it does good. I was running 3s2p lipo but now that I put the A123's in and was able to
take the extra nose weight out. I took out 3 1/2 oz of weight that I used to balance it.
I am using a JustGoFly 500 size motor and still get between 95 to 105mph with this 3lb wing.
I have repaired it a few times is why it weighs a little more. Still flys great. One tuff plane if built the Rite way.
The reason it has a black nose is I nosed it in at 50mph nose first. It was hard enough to bust the carbon spars.
A little glass work and some goop I was back flying the next day. I happen to run out of purple monokote thus the black nose.
The motor is around 2100kv running a 6x4 sport.

Any way the A123's work good for me. I have $100 in 2 5s packs so not to bad for the price.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Mar 08, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
TaSaJaRa,
What are your flight times with the 5s setup? What is your AUW?

My plan has been to get a TL50 with a123 batteries. I have just converted my Zagi-60 over to a123 and have been drooling over the TL50! I thought I would play around a bit more with the 3s and 4s a123 packs on the Zagi-60 setup before taking the plunge.
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy