HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:10 AM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Ken:

If you want to get in the 100+ mph club, you are going to need a higher Kv motor than the 2500.

FC
They have been running this motor at 4s and getting over 100 mph with these wings very easily.
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Last edited by AZcrashpro; Nov 26, 2006 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 01:17 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,078 Posts
I have never tried the Medusa on 4S1P. The Mega's are well known for their ability to deal with more voltage, but I was unaware that was also true for the Medusa.

I did use 4S with a Mega 16/15/4 once and it was great, but the plane starts to get heavy with the weight of the extra cell (as well as the $$$). Speed costs money....more speed costs cubic money.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
OK update on status.

I have started building the TL and have finished glassing it (Pacer Resin+Fibercloth 3/4 oz) method. Need some help with weight check.

So far:
Airframe with servos, receiver glassed - 500g - 17.63 oz
Poly RC 4350 4s - 455g - 16oz
All other gears (Motor, prop, mount, ESC, Opto, BEC, 150 mah 2s - 210g - 7.40 oz

Total - 1165gram - 41.1 oz

I supposed with the winglets, elevons, covering and some misc like hinges and whatnot would add a bit more. Airframe felt very sturdy now after the glassing, just hope it is strong enough for the speed I am looking for.

Oh another thing, I bought 150mah lipo for the BEC by mistake, is this good enough to last 2 flight of batts (4s1p)?
EdBall Flies! is offline Find More Posts by EdBall Flies!
Last edited by EdBall Flies!; Dec 12, 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
glendora,CA
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
edball just wanted to know how far your batterys are set back from the nose? those batterys really do the job. that thing will be fast. insane vertical. set mine too forward cgs at 8" flies exellent.on your 150 mah lipo after 2flights i think it only takes 90 mah or so. hope you have a big area to fly.love those big screaming passes.
pumpman is offline Find More Posts by pumpman
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Hi Pumpman,

I believed I have it at 3". Will double check later. I will get my plane covered soon and update on the cg balance. Hopefully I won't need any weights at the back.

Anyhow, may I know what kind of receiver are you guys flying your ritewing with? PPM or PCM?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Anyone?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:17 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
PPM, Electron 6 is a popular reciever.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:53 PM
glendora,CA
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
eddball, i also use an electon6 hitec.i made aseperate compartment for the reciever away from the speed controller.
pumpman is offline Find More Posts by pumpman
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Hey guys, I am using a PCM Futaba receiver and the additional weight balance the TL nicely without any weights needed. My experience is that PPM is pretty glitchy and I never met any issues with PCM, is Opto Isolator still needed?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Alright, figure most TL owners must be busy for the Christmas season, anyhow. I opt for the safer route and put in the BEC and opto isolator incase.

Final weight: 47.62 oz (is that build somewhat slightly heavier?)

CG balanced with no weights, I merely shifted the motor in the mount to get it right.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,279 Posts
shes a beaut
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:25 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Looks awesome

Yo ed hang the oem winglets below the wing so they are 50 50 top and bottom. Those are too small .
They will also act as skids to keep the motor off the deck in a landing.
It will also help on landing to keep the wing from getting a lofty flip landing where a bad landing gets air back under it then it loops out and flips over. make the cg at 8' inches.

Edd verry good build and the weight will be fine.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBall Flies!
Alright, figure most TL owners must be busy for the Christmas season, anyhow. I opt for the safer route and put in the BEC and opto isolator incase.

Final weight: 47.62 oz (is that build somewhat slightly heavier?)

CG balanced with no weights, I merely shifted the motor in the mount to get it right.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:42 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Alright, I will take the original piece and cut out some yellow pieces. Thanks for the tip, luckily it rained today, wasn't able to maiden kekeke.

Spent sometime adding a bit more decorative, now looks much better.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Edd it looks awesome.
If you use the oem ones just spray paint the outer sides to match the wing that is what dynomike just did and it looks cool.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBall Flies!
Alright, I will take the original piece and cut out some yellow pieces. Thanks for the tip, luckily it rained today, wasn't able to maiden kekeke.

Spent sometime adding a bit more decorative, now looks much better.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:32 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Yo ed hang the oem winglets below the wing so they are 50 50 top and bottom. Those are too small .
They will also act as skids to keep the motor off the deck in a landing.
It will also help on landing to keep the wing from getting a lofty flip landing where a bad landing gets air back under it then it loops out and flips over. make the cg at 8' inches.

Edd verry good build and the weight will be fine.
Ck

Hey CK, about the CG, what is the range I can play with? I am aiming for axial roll and little to no input for inverted flying. I have it currently at 8 1/2