SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:15 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Question
Ritewing TL 50 ordered! Have a powerplant question

Ok, I gave in to the dark side, I want even more speed and after having read tons of threads, I figured Ritewing is the "rite" way to go.

These are my ordered items from BMKDesigns so far:
- TL 50 TL
- Medusa 28-40-2500kv
- Potencia 6V/2 Amp BEC
- MR Opto Isolator

I have a some questions on the powerplant portion, would most appreciate answers from experienced builder. What is the best battery configuration to get the best CG balance? I have also read that it is recommended to use a 6/4 APC non-e prop, what kind of a speed and amp draw can I expect from this config?
EdBall Flies! is offline Find More Posts by EdBall Flies!
Last edited by EdBall Flies!; Nov 20, 2006 at 02:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:22 AM
just winging it
Fairfield, CA 94533
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
http://www.medusaproducts.com/Motors/calculate.asp this should help you on your amp draws for different props the 6x4 prop would be a slow prop then a 5x5 but have more thrust.
john wing is offline Find More Posts by john wing
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:58 AM
aka WarpedWingNut
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Dec 2004
297 Posts
You are going to like the TL50 ! I put a 3300 3S battery in mine.
PlusRC is offline Find More Posts by PlusRC
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Thanks for the link on the calculator.

I am thinking of getting the EVO 3700 or 3300. From the Spec, they should supply the power well, but I am still hesitant about it cos I would like to use the best fit that will ideally balanced the CG without weights added.

From some of the build threads, I am most worried about the glassing method, anyone knows how much weight would glassing the wing add?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:41 AM
aka WarpedWingNut
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Dec 2004
297 Posts
I think there is some weights calculated on some threads on here, however, with the power plant you are putting in, I wouldn't worry about it, it really doesn't add that much. If you build the Ck method, all is well !!

One suggestion that others gave me while doing my build, move everything as far forward as you can, and balancing is easy.
PlusRC is offline Find More Posts by PlusRC
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
As to batteries I run in my 36 inch demon 2 2s 3300 20c rcliops polyrc packs It needed 3oz of lead to balence but that is because im running a light outrunner in it.

The tl50 i have uses 2 2s 3700 20c rclipo polyrc packs with a HET4 motor and a 6x4 prop im pulling about 50amps and have been running like this for over 50 flights now with no problems.

The tl50 required no lead to balence.

My tl40 is running a mega 16/15/4 and 2 4s 2600 10c polyquest packs and required 1.5 oz of lead to balence

Follow the build DVD as to glasing The glassing is what will alow you to go 140mph with out flaping the wing to death it does not add that much weight (My 36 inch demo thread has the bare and glased weights in it).

So build it the rite way and do not worry too much the extra weight will not hurt but actually help the performance on the top end

If you are shooting for a real floaty tl50 then build it lite and use a outrunner like the 450 motor and run it on a 3s pack just move things as far foward as the thicness of the wing will alow for and you may need to cut your motor in a bit farther to get the cg right..

And as to the motor calc stuff it will give you false results (very conservitive) follow the build threads here as the real world numbers are much diffrent that the software will return.

36 inch demon
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584574

30 inch unsanctioned
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525564

some video of the tl40
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451312

More Ritewing Videos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452121

Mother of all Ritewing threads
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425922
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Nov 20, 2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Ok I guess I will just have to follow the included video closely for the 50 TL. I am shooting for speed and guess glassing is needed to the wings a certain rigidity. Can't wait for the damn thing to arrive. Mike from BMKDesigns has gotten back to me on my orders and had advised I should get it in about a week or less. Great stuff and service

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Questions I have this far:
- Jeti ESC with Medusa motors, any issue?
- 4800 Kokam 2s1p for 4s, are they any good or simply too big or heavy?
- For Glassing, where and what to buy for TL?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Questions I have this far:
- Jeti ESC with Medusa motors, any issue?

How many amps is the ESC

- 4800 Kokam 2s1p for 4s, are they any good or simply too big or heavy?

They will work are the 10C 15C or 20C Cells what do the 2s packs weight

- For Glassing, where and what to buy for TL?

We use a fiberglass cloth used for roofing and roof patching it is made by Henry's and normally sells for about 7 bucks a rool 3 would be needed of the 6inch by 25 foot to make sure you have enough we normally get that from home supply stores or hardware stores if you have problems finding it

I have about 15 rools i bought a while back i could sell (for cost + shipping)

Also you will want to locate 3M Hi Strength 90 sprsy adhesive 2 cans will do the wing with extra in the can when your done. about $13.00 per can.

I get it at the same hardware stores. You want to make sure you have the right adhisive the super77 and others do not work as well but in a pich could do it.

Super 90
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_406_A_SubCatID_E_425 _A_ProdID_E_3068

Henry 183 repair fabric
http://www.henry.com/Roofing_Membranes__Underlaymen.18.0.html

Patching & Repair Fabrics & Tapes Part number 183

I also use the plastic spreaders used to apply bondo to cars they clean up well and will make wiping the exess 90 off the wing as well as alow you to work out bubbles.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:40 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Hi Paul,

the Jeti is 66amp capable. As for the Kokam batts, it is capable of 20C, weighs 393.6gm and measures 145mmX42mmX22mm.

Many thanks for the info on glassing, it will be useful cos I am doing this for the first time.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:40 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBall Flies!
Hi Paul,

the Jeti is 66amp capable. As for the Kokam batts, it is capable of 20C, weighs 393.6gm and measures 145mmX42mmX22mm.

Many thanks for the info on glassing, it will be useful cos I am doing this for the first time.
we are here to help..

my polyrc 3700's are 145 x 43 x 15 mm you should be fine with your batteries. we mount them 2x2 so you have one battery in the nose and one right behind it so the wide part goes across the wing and your esc will be fine.

184g per pack so you should be fine with your packs weight wise.

Like i said when you get your kit and you have questions ask away picture tell 1000 words.. so be prepaired to so us your build..

Most of all enjoy the build and the wing it is one of the nicest wings i have ever flown.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:53 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Thanks Paul for the info.

I'm going to pick up those cells for some insane current draw!!!

fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:15 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
we are here to help..

my polyrc 3700's are 145 x 43 x 15 mm you should be fine with your batteries. we mount them 2x2 so you have one battery in the nose and one right behind it so the wide part goes across the wing and your esc will be fine.

184g per pack so you should be fine with your packs weight wise.

Like i said when you get your kit and you have questions ask away picture tell 1000 words.. so be prepaired to so us your build..

Most of all enjoy the build and the wing it is one of the nicest wings i have ever flown.
Corrections, I got the weight wrong. Those nos are for the 3s pack. The weight for a 2s1p pack is about 260gram. So 4s1p would be 520gram. I checked the weight of PolyRC 4350 and those weighs about 250 per 2s1p. I am quite close with Kokam I supposed.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
I just placed an order with Dynamo Electrics for their Poly RC 4350 2s1p, it is still way cheaper than my local hobby shop that is carrying the Kokam Batteries. I dun have to worry about the batts anymore lol.

Now, just waiting patiently for the postman.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:11 AM
Joined Dec 2005
293 Posts
Other than the fiberglass cloth and spray adhesive, what else you you need as far as adhesives are concerned? I remember reading thought one of the other forums and someone mentioned something about PU...what is that exactlly??

I have also been looking at Maxamps new batteries and I was wondering what you guys think about those. I had some of their earlier batteries and they worked OK but I don't know anything about the new ones.

Also, is there a more powerful motor than the one mentioned above, which would be suitable for this project? I found something about JGF's new outrunner but again, I don't know much about it. If any of you have used it, please let me know what you think.

I'm going to be starting a similar building sometime this week but I haven't decided on what size wing I want to buy. I would really like a 50" wing but I also want it to go faster than anything out there so i'm not sure if a 40" wing would be a better choice. I currently fly a diablo.

Ken.
Par_18 is offline Find More Posts by Par_18
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:00 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18
I have also been looking at Maxamps new batteries and I was wondering what you guys think about those. I had some of their earlier batteries and they worked OK but I don't know anything about the new ones.

Also, is there a more powerful motor than the one mentioned above, which would be suitable for this project?
Ken:

FWIW....I have a Multiplex FunJet with a Medusa 028-040-2500 with a Graupner 5.5x4.3 CAM prop with 3S1P MaxAmps 2100 HV packs, and it will do in the low 80's mph (just a guess vs. other planes that have been radared). Others have reported in the 90's with a 3268 Kv Multiplex 480 4D (4 turn) on 3200 mAh packs. Current ability of the packs while holding decent voltage is the issue. Your wing should have less drag and be 5 -15 mph faster than the FunJet with equal motors.

My set up works fine on the MA-HV cells but the ESC will cut out on older Thunder Power 2100 Pro-Lites because they cannot hold the voltage - brand new they are OK. If you want to get in the 100+ mph club, you are going to need a higher Kv motor than the 2500.

The MA packs have about 10 cycles on them and so far they are equal to the TP-PL, but a little heavier and run much cooler at the same current.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher