SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hawaiian Shores, Big Island, HI
Joined Jul 2006
34 Posts
Big E RC has the "A123 Blinky" on their web site.
VictorN is offline Find More Posts by VictorN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 12:11 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,506 Posts
Thanks!

I wonder why Astro doesn't have it on their own site?

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jul 07, 2007, 05:11 AM
Joined Feb 2006
5 Posts
Oke,

In a rush and panic i just mailed my first post into this forum last night ;-)
Been a member for quite a while but never posted anything.
Anyway i figured out the problem myself.
The lba10 balancer shut down because for some unknown reason one cell had a way too high cell voltage (new A123 pack). After discharging the pack a little everything was working fine with the balancers.

Thanks,
Maurice
dutch_anykey is offline Find More Posts by dutch_anykey
Old Jul 07, 2007, 06:27 AM
Barboursville, West Virginia, WV-OH-KY Tri State Area
Joined Aug 2003
348 Posts
Save a little width with packs offset

So far I have built a 5s2p, 4s2p and a 3s2p battery pack from DeWalt A123 cells.

To save a little room in my Telemaster Electro's battery tray, I off-set the parallel packs of 4 cells so they are 1/2 cell from each other and fit into the "groves" of the other parallel pack.

This allowed easy insertion into the battery tray where putting the cells in a full "rectangle" was spreading the sides of the tray.

I do tape wrap the cells just like the normal "rectangle" packs and it takes just a little more tape.

I could also do this with series packs by cutting the cells apart and using a wire jumper between the end cells insterd of using the existing metal tabs.

Bill
whizzard is offline Find More Posts by whizzard
Last edited by whizzard; Jul 07, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 06:37 AM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Bill, how about showing us a picture of what you did ? I would like to have a visual.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:16 PM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
1st a huge thanks on the 2 "How to" threads. Great info in both.

I'd like to build 4S packs in a 2x2 stick configuration. Has anyone done this with the A123 cells. I've looked at the SLKElectronics website and that is great info on build NIMH packs.

Is this process the same with the A123's?
waltj2k is offline Find More Posts by waltj2k
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2004
83 Posts
madmax 123cells

first cells cleaned off steel pcs. soldered silver buss bars + to - made up two 4 cell packs one 2 cell packs. due to illness only used once all cells show 3.2 volts same as first charge. de souldered all cells now use power tubs.cells are fitted into plastic shower rod covers then with shrink covering provided. this feels more rigid then just with shrink covering provided votage still 3.2
chucker
chucker four is offline Find More Posts by chucker four
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker four
cells are fitted into plastic shower rod covers then with shrink covering provided.
chucker
Great idea! Thanx, chucker

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:47 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
Bill, how about showing us a picture of what you did ? I would like to have a visual.

Bob

These are my 4S packs with balance connectors..

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Last edited by retiredVTT; Jul 30, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:02 PM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredVTT
These are my 4S packs with balance connectors..

Bill
Yes yes yes,

Would really love a little walk through on how you built those packs. This is exactly what I would like.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:54 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,191 Posts
Well, the way the 10 cells are assembled with tabs you can litterly get 2 4S packs by carefully separating and bending the cells into the two stick configuration. It's quite easy to see once you have the 10 cell pack in front of you. I believe I did have to add a bottom "bus" across the two cells. Just keep in mind that your final configuration is to have 4 cells in a series connection. Of course you will have two cells left over so that after doing a second pack, you will have four individual cells left over and they get soldered together negative to positive as well using either the tabs on them or a #12 wire. No different then those little 1/2 A Nimh cells that we used to use back in the dark ages, about three years ago...just bigger cells now.
Keep a meter close by to verify which end is pos and which is neg..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Last edited by retiredVTT; Jul 31, 2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2007, 06:19 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Man this is a great thread. Some of you may have hear of Modelelectronicscorp.com but if not they pioneered the solderless power tube technology. Basically you put the cells into tubes and clamp them down. No soldering required and you can disassemble them for replacement of individual cells. They also sell ready made packs which are on sale right now.

http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com/...uct.php?pid=12
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Aug 04, 2007, 08:31 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,609 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial theads on how to disassemble and build the cells from a Dewalt pack. These have really been useful to me.

Has anyone used these A123 battery bars from Hyperion?

http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5085

Feather, What are you doing looking around in here?
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Aug 04, 2007, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Man, I wished I'd found those before I got the battery bones. They look like they will fit a perfect semicircle on the ends of the A123 cells.

I've made 12s packs using the battery bones soldered to the tabs. I wish now that I had removed the tabs and soldered directly to the cell because in another pack I had the steel tab come off especially on the positive end.

I've made 5s packs by bending two pairs of cells end to end with a cell on the end connected with wet noodle for my electristar. I ran down a deep cycle battery the other day doing consecutive flights and charges.

I believe the trick to soldering directly to the cell is to first remove the oxide on the surface using either sandpaper or lightly with the dremel tool and immediately coat the surface with some flux paste so it doesn't have time to re-oxide and then tin the cell. The aluminum really sucks away the heat so you will need a very hot iron. Let the cell cool before trying to solder your wire to it.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Aug 05, 2007, 12:50 AM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
Tonight I was able to put my packs together. After reading this thread and discussion with GWH and Feathermerchant. I decided to try to build a 4S 2x2 stick. RetiredVTT displayed his packs and that helped me understand what to do.

Hopefully these additional pics will further expain for those who would like to build stick packs.