HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:24 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Build Log
GWS-38 Build Thread (GWS-38 Build Questions)

Well, it is time, once again, to start a GWS Build thread. This thread is the fourth installment in a line of GWS build threads I have posted:
GWS Zero Quesitons

GWS ME-109 Build Questions

GWS P-51 Mustang Build Questions
All of these build threads resulted in excellent maidens, and long-lasting, durable aircraft. (For example, I finally sold the Zero after 200 flights, and the buyer is still flying it!)

As usual, this thread will be educational for both you and me. I do not presume to imply I know everything there is to know about radio control aircraft (or even building GWS airplanes). Please feel free to post questions, comments, and suggestions!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:47 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
First things first... I opened the packaging, inspected, and dry fitted all the parts. The GWS-38 is big. It is roughly an inch larger in wingspan than the Flying Styro P-38, and roughly an inch smaller in wingspan than the Air Devil P-38. I have included a picture, below, of the GWS-38 wing beside a GWS P-51 wing, for reference.

The panel line detail is great -- even the gas caps are faithfully reproduced!

Normally, I spend a lot of time sanding the little "flowers" (also known as "mould release marks"), and other imperfections from GWS airplanes. The GWS-38 looks as if someone was hired to attempt to make these imperfections less of an issue. Very nice indeed. (However, since I am the epitome of the "up-tight" engineer, I will spackle and sand as usual.)

It looks as if the wing and horizontal stabalizer are designed to be removable from the booms (maybe for transportation) -- I will glue these in place, and fiberglass the joints. Since the airplane will be sealed with fiberglass and lightweight spackle, I will need to do some minor modifications for proper airflow to cool the electronics during flight.

Originally, I was going to go with BP-21 motors, but stumbled across a great deal on some Castle Creations (Phoenix 25?) speed controls, and could not pass it up... This GWS-38 will be powered by two 4200 KV brushless inrunner motors, with 5.67:1 gearboxes, and APC 8x8E props. I should end up with about 34 ounces of thrust, and a top speed around 45 mph, drawing approximately 24 amps at full throttle... I really wanted to keep the amp draw lower than 20 amps, but... well... the deal on the ESC's was just too good to pass up!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:58 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
The final product should look like P-38 serial number 44-53186.

This airplane was originally owned by my grandfather in 1946 -- he purchased it from the US government, NEW, for a mere $1,250!

The airplane did not look like this when he owned it, and it does not look like this today, but I like the paint scheme...

Read the history of P-38 serial number 44-53186.

Someone on another thread said they would help me with the nose art graphics... If someone here would like to help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:36 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Subscribed!
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:02 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm glad these subscriptions are free.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:12 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Cool pics Red. I may have to add some nose art to mine as well. First...gotta make sure she flies But I r very apprehensive about flying mine. I had several issues building mine and I dunno....just some odd feeling that maybe she just wont allow me any satisfaction. Of course, had I stuck to the GWS manual, I am sure it would fly fine. I think mine looks so nice in person, I am afraid to fly it. Thus, I may have to get another one and just slap it together with APC 2-blade props and minimal detailing. I do have two 4200kz inrunners lying around, but I do not care for gearboxes and those motors are supposed to go in the GWS A-10 I have. Hmmm.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,506 Posts
Red

You mentioned that this is your 4th P-38 model, and you have referenced your Air Devil a few times but not the FSK model. What was your opinion of it?

Wish I was flying today - doing a reserve weekend far away from my planes.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Nov 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
The Flying Styro P-38 is a nice model. It is light, looks awesome, and flys great.

However, it does have it's drawbacks:
Extremely fragile (just picking it up will crease the foam)
Expensive (roughly $220, just for the airplane)
Pre-painted (and it looks like everyone else's FSK P-38)
Cowls are not removable (once the motors are installed, they're in there for life! What about maintenance?!)
That being said, I'm really looking forward to this GWS-38. There is much more room for customization -- and that's where the fun is.

My FSK P-38 (note the nose art change, and removable canopy for drop-down battery installation).

A recent picture of the FSK P-38 in the hangar...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 06:20 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear Red 61, you should get GWS38 earlier!

We can expect to see this thread will be a great referance for flyers.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Red61, if you don't already have the motors check the GWBLM005 4900 KV motors. They are hot and the price is still low. I just tested one and was very impressed with the results. I have several HiMax motors and I'm certain the GWS can outperform the 2025-4200. I plan on buying several more of these before the price goes up.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Dear Red 61, you should get GWS38 earlier!

We can expect to see this thread will be a great referance for flyers.
Thank you, Mr. Lin. I am glad you approve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin
Red61, if you don't already have the motors check the GWBLM005 4900 KV motors. They are hot and the price is still low. I just tested one and was very impressed with the results. I have several HiMax motors and I'm certain the GWS can outperform the 2025-4200. I plan on buying several more of these before the price goes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Originally, I was going to go with BP-21 motors, but stumbled across a great deal on some Castle Creations (Phoenix 25?) speed controls, and could not pass it up...
TopSpin -- if you click on the link, you will see the 4200 Kv motors are included in the sale price! Again, it was a deal too good to pass up!

I am including pictures of today's progress. I've opened up the speed control area, both through the top of the boom, and through the firewall. I used my Dremel router to route an escape route for the warm air.

I have not yet decided if I will use the GWS supplied screw to hold the booms to the wing, or if I will glue it in place. All my other GWS builds have used the GWS supplied screw, without issue... Hmmmm... decisions, decisions...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:09 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
That's the masking-tape-mold technique for the Gorilla Glue? I expect that fills the spar channels nicely!
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
That's the masking-tape-mold technique for the Gorilla Glue? I expect that fills the spar channels nicely!
Yep -- that's the idea!

I just realized I did not take any pictures of the enlarged ESC area in the booms. Here ya go.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:35 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
I love reading your threads..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:59 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Thanks Tram -- that's very nice of you to say.

I haven't accomplished much in the last two days... I caught a cold, and have been busy with work and family life...

I've started the spackling job... Sanding is next. I still have not decided if I'm going to permanently attach the booms to the wing -- I keep changing my mind on that one...

On one hand, all my other GWS aircraft have removable wings -- it's great for maintenance.

On the other hand, this P-38 would look much better if the top of the booms were seamless... Hmmmm...