Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:15 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
Help!
Rolling Circle?

Help guys,

I have been trying for a while now on the simulator but I can't crack it! How do you do a rolling circle. I think this manouver looks the business and is probably the ticket to other advanced moves. So what is the deal? Can anybody give me a few pointers please?
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:59 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,655 Posts
Practice slow rolls, giving rudder, down elevator, and then rudder again. Now try adding down elevator and rudder at the same time, then when inverted, give rudder a little early, then a little up elevator during the second knife-edge. Practice this until you can do it consistently, turning ninety degrees, a one-roll ninety degree turn to the outside. After you've got this down, try doing two of them for a two-roll one eighty, then three. The hardest is the last one, as the orientation is weird, and you have to compensate for any screw-ups you made earlier.

So basically, practice slow rolls, and then practice changing the timing of the inputs. After you can do consistent four roll rollers to the outside, try doing it with two. Then try giving the inputs earlier rather than later for a roller to the inside.

These are just guidelines, there's no "trick." Just practice, and eventually it should click for you.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:49 AM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
Humm? Right, I will give it a go. Thanks cwojcik.

I guess I need more practice.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
USA, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2004
132 Posts
one other hint that has helped me is to concentrate on watching the landing gear as you roll instead of the whole plane.
bigdarylg is offline Find More Posts by bigdarylg
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
Landing gear? How does this help?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
USA, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2004
132 Posts
makes you focus on when to make elevator inputs ,it's like picking a spot to concentrate on. gives you more focus
bigdarylg is offline Find More Posts by bigdarylg
Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
20 Posts
Hey,

you dont need to use both elev and rudder to do a rolling circle you can start out just using one or the other, looks a bit messy but once you have that down pat you can start using both surfaces to smooth it out. If you chose to use just elevator for instance all you need to do is roll the plane and input elevator just before the plane gets back to horizontal as you roll,this way the plane will still be a little banked( like in a turn) when you input the elevator and will come around in that direction.like I said it'll look a little messy at first but once you get co-ordinated and start using rudder aswell it'll be smooth as.

Cheers

Weedy
weedy-burton is offline Find More Posts by weedy-burton
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
Newark ,NY, USA
Joined Jun 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdarylg
one other hint that has helped me is to concentrate on watching the landing gear as you roll instead of the whole plane.
I find that watching the tail instead of the gear makes it easier to give the correct rudder and elevator inputs. I also learned rolling harriers this way.

It seems that finding a spot on the plane to "watch" may help for you as it has for others. Good luck
pallen_2006 is offline Find More Posts by pallen_2006
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:46 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedy-burton
Hey,

you dont need to use both elev and rudder to do a rolling circle you can start out just using one or the other, looks a bit messy but once you have that down pat you can start using both surfaces to smooth it out. If you chose to use just elevator for instance all you need to do is roll the plane and input elevator just before the plane gets back to horizontal as you roll,this way the plane will still be a little banked( like in a turn) when you input the elevator and will come around in that direction.like I said it'll look a little messy at first but once you get co-ordinated and start using rudder aswell it'll be smooth as.

Cheers

Weedy
Thats how I first started out. I just used elevator. I practised doing consecutive rolls first then moved onto a full circle. Next it was full rolling circuits.

I then tried consecutively rolling with just rudder, and when I had that sorted I put them both together. Now I'm having a ball trying to master the rolling harrier (on mode 2 that is, mode 1 is alot easier )

It takes time so be patient. I don't have a sim and its taken me a good year.
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
It also seems much easier for some reason to do outside rolling circles. That is rolling right turning left or vice versa. I still do them with ailerons and rudder only. That last 1/4 of the circle - when it is flying straight at you - is the test of whether you trust your skills or not.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:14 PM
Bakersfield Meadow Fld, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
I found this somewhere, maybe it will help.
mdavies31 is offline Find More Posts by mdavies31
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:58 AM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
Thats good mdavies31.

Kind of what I was looking for. I like the stick movements diagrams.

Are any other moves shown in this way?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:22 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
Scott Stoops wrote an RC Pilot Guide that gives diagrams for all maneuvers. Excellent book. www.rcpilotguide.com
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
That fantastic. Exactly what is needed. God bless Scott Stoops.