Quote:
(no teams either...)
you have us
cozzykim is offline Find More Posts by cozzykim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,142 Posts
you are so right... ClearView would not be where it is if not the help, assistance and supportive words I received (and keep receiving) from so many people. I can't skip mentioning Ken and the dedicated group of model builders that have made so many models for CV.

Stefan
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:38 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
2,019 Posts
Thank you Stefan, for the recent help you have given me. I'm the one that tried ClearView on a new Toshiba Satellite laptop, only to find the video circuitry is slow, and I am presently trying it on my desktop, but as I wrote you, it has problems too...

This program is very important to me as I get new flyers all the time into our club, and a good quality sim, easily affordable, and easily available saves them from so much disappointment as they enter the hobby. We need all the new flyers we can get...

Dave Bacon, Secretary, Webmaster, Flyin' Wolverines R/C Club
http://flyinwolverines.home.comcast.net
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:07 AM
Petagas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtz
I firmly believe in moving forwards in small steps, but often. This is the only way to develop and advance a program that is run on thousands and thousands computer configurations, uses many different cables and control devices and has to run realtime.

The alternative is hudge test labs (which I don't have...), test teams (no teams either...), big time between release and higher price.

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
Since this is a topic for wishes, I'd like Clearview to approach the handling of physics and graphics similar to X-plane 8.

The airfoils and finite element analysis will surely reduce our parameter adjustments for Clearview. Of course it will sap our processor power.

Looking at the processor requirements, I should need 2G RAM and 1GMbyte VRAM, in order to enable all the graphic capabilities.

The flexing and bouncing effect is very useful for RC use, but not essential.

x-plane already has converters for blender formats to its obj formats.

Clearview can advance further by adopting blender as its main graphics editor.
othmanskn is offline Find More Posts by othmanskn
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,142 Posts
>Since this is a topic for wishes, I'd like Clearview to approach the handling of physics and graphics similar to X-plane 8.

Requirements for RC flight simulator flight model are different than X-Plane. I doubt that approach will work for 3d flight physics modeling. For normal sport flying may be.

>Clearview can advance further by adopting blender as its main graphics editor.
You can use blender easy now, what precludes you from using it? I still think ac3d is much easier to work with.

Stefan
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:13 PM
Imposing TeddyBear
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2004
558 Posts
Is there any way to change the point of view? I'm 6'3" and it feels like the viewpoint is lower than that in the sim.

I also just downloaded .65 for the honeybee fp. As has already been mentioned it seems a bit too stable. I'll play around with the alternate settings you listed and see what works best for me.
One other thing I noticed about the honeybee model is that the main rotor and the tail rotor are linked. The only way to spin up the tail rotor is to have the main rotor already spinning. The real heli has individual motors for each rotor. This results in an increase or decrease in head speed anytime you put in tail rotor input. The additional draw or lack of, depending on which way you swing the tail, causes most "unsteadyness" I feel.

I know I'm nit-picking , but it's something I saw and figured it was worth a mention.

All in all a great product. Thanks for putting it out there for us.
Papakeith is offline Find More Posts by Papakeith
Last edited by Papakeith; Jan 23, 2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:22 AM
Petagas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtz
>Since this is a topic for wishes, I'd like Clearview to approach the handling of physics and graphics similar to X-plane 8.

Requirements for RC flight simulator flight model are different than X-Plane. I doubt that approach will work for 3d flight physics modeling. For normal sport flying may be.

>Clearview can advance further by adopting blender as its main graphics editor.
You can use blender easy now, what precludes you from using it? I still think ac3d is much easier to work with.

Stefan
There is nothing which prevents the X-plane approach into supporting 3d flight physics. It even has a user-supplied plug-in interface.

The only thing missing is mass distribution. I can't find a way to specify the distribution of masses. If it were to get it from the graphic file, it will be too far off.

Maybe we can use the plugin to write codes to give it mass distribution effect.

Regular Flight Sim is still far too primitive for RC Simulation. Clearview is far ahead of any of them. Its simplicity is its strength. When will you give Cockpit view to Clearview? Or 3D cockpit panels to turn it into a flight simulator?

Clearview already has the "always near view", which in fact is what I use when I fly planes in Flight Sim( in the chase view).

Clearview ground handling is a stroke of genius. Instead of having a separate file for the terrain heights and textures, in flight sims such as FMS and X-plane, just use normal 3D graphics to represent ground and terrain.

In fact, with this, I can represent the whole earth. I believe Clearview can simplify it further by removing the ground effect layers. Just use the 3d models to represent ground but give all 3d objects directional collision severity.

At the moment, Clearview will make the plane crash even when touching a 3d object, or the areas underneath the ground layers. In fact, there should be a way to measure the collision force, in the direction of contact and make planes bounce or damaged slightly, instead of total damage at whatever collision force.

Blender can be used to display/render flight sim graphics. Instead of just using polygons, you can use nurb surfaces and bezzier curves.
othmanskn is offline Find More Posts by othmanskn
Old Jan 26, 2007, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
Personally I love Clearview and have been using it for awhile. I've had some experiences learning to fly on .40 size trainers over 25 years ago but got out of the hobby before really learning being able to solo. Anyway, I've tried a few others sims and Clearview so far is my favorite. FMS IMHO, has a ways to go. X-plane is an awesome Flight Simulator but it's not specfically for learning RC although some use it for that. G3, although there are certain things I like about it, I actually found most planes easy to fly which sort of disturbed me! I should mention that I fly aircraft only. As for features and requests for Clearview, here is my list and forgive me if any of these have already been implemented:

* I for one would love to have a visual indiciation of wind direction and speed, even if it's just a flag before takeoff. Could be made toggleable.

* It would be nice to be able to save radio configs with the models themselves. With the training aircraft, it is typical to start with a rudder/elev trainer and move to the aileron trainer. Problem is, you have to reconfigure your joystick setup in order to make this change which is a real PITA.

* Crash animations, as corny as that may seem, do make for a better experience. Just a basic animation that shows parts flying all over the place would be nice. Extra points for having some type of threshold for different types of crash animations based on the severity of the crash. Even when taxiing, if you taxi into a fence or heavy dirt, the propellor breaks and the engine quits User hackable of course

* Being able to use multi-samples for sounds would be cool. Separate sound files for idle, mid, full throttle and maybe even start up. Slowing a single sample down is not completely realistic. Just having the option is nice. Not mandatory. I've sampled my own glow engines so I'm happy with my current sounds :-) The standard sound isn't that great.

* Being able to create a movie on the fly in QT, AVI or whatever would be cool.

* I second the motion regarding the propeller animation speed.

I too place a heavy importance on the flying physics and flight models. I think that will naturally improve with helpful input from flyers. This should be the main focus of any development in Clearview. I do not have much experience to provide suggestions with phsyics so the above is fairly simple stuff (in my eyes). My suggestions are based on what I do and see while using Clearview.

Ken-
kenrinc is offline Find More Posts by kenrinc
Last edited by kenrinc; Jan 26, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:40 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
The AIr Hogs AeroAce is available for FMS. That is a similar plane. Now if some bright guy could convert the AA FMS model to CV...
That FMS model of the Aero Ace is mine, I would hope that Stephan gives some recognition to both the Moellers and my efforts in creating the vectored thrust controls used to make it work.

Btw in FMS you can make surface vehicles too. I've made a Vespa scoooter with the proper steering and leaning forces involved. How many other sims can be as flexible in this regard?

Greets

Lewis
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:54 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by othmanskn
Those for FMS are lousy planes. I had posted a much better one in RCGROUPS.

It is called x-twin.

I also have parameters for Clearview but I'm still working on it.
The FMS model flies closer but it does not stall.
Cleariew ones, flies erratically, unlike the real planes that are more stable but it can stall, unlike FMS.

I made that model, Nice backhanded insult! And you have no more real model flying experience than just flying an Aeroace? How can you be the judge of any flight modeling with as little real RC flight experience as you've presently got? Hmmm? Here's a clue about my experience, I've been flying RC since 1977....

My Aeroace for FMS is based on my own aeroace and if you've read all the threads about it's flight tuning, and actually applied them to your model you'll discover that the "stalling" in the aeroace is the #1 complaint about its flight manners. BTW my model for FMS does stall, chop the throttle after climbing at full throttle, the real Aeroace does the same!

Lewis
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:40 PM
y chucu, chucu, chuuuu...
Argentina, Buenos Aires
Joined Apr 2003
597 Posts
Hi, I already download fron Ken's page some models, Unzipped them in folders in ...Models folder. I can open it from load plane model, I can ear it, but I can not see in the screen.
Any idea?
Regards
Adrian
nick_cool is offline Find More Posts by nick_cool
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Condor 2000 + Crimson
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:57 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
396 Posts
I like ClearView and enjoy it, especially considering the pricetag! One addition I'd like it to have an altitude readout somewhere on the screen. When a plane is overhead and the horizon isn't visible it's difficult to judge height.
Harri3 is offline Find More Posts by Harri3
Old Jan 28, 2007, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri3
I like ClearView and enjoy it, especially considering the pricetag! One addition I'd like it to have an altitude readout somewhere on the screen. When a plane is overhead and the horizon isn't visible it's difficult to judge height.
I personally I'm in two minds about things like this as you don't generally have these sorts of things available when flying. I understand the point about horizon visibility though you kind of need some way to judge that.

There is a debate that discusses whether flying overhead is right since that could be a safety issue but you still have the same problem at height in a sim even at a distance.

The ideal I guess would be 3D glasses which have position tracking so that you get the view of where you are looking and the aircraft moves in 3D space.
Zaragon is offline Find More Posts by Zaragon
Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:02 PM
Joined Dec 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_cool
Hi, I already download fron Ken's page some models, Unzipped them in folders in ...Models folder. I can open it from load plane model, I can ear it, but I can not see in the screen.
Any idea?
Regards
Adrian
That is an odd one. Is it just the add on models or do you have the same problem with the inbuilt models?

First thing I'd check would be to ensure that in unzipping the file you allow it to create subdirectories. Within the models directory you should have a directory called the same as the model. Within that model directory should be two other directories a data directory and a wavdata directory.

The files that comprise the model are in the data directory and the sounds are in the wavdata directory. Check that you have at least four files in the data directory, body.ac, smokeR01.ac, smokeR02.ac and PlaneParamModel.ac though sometimes body.ac is called something similar to the model name.

Which particular models are you trying then we, or Ken, can take a look and check if there is a difficulty with the files.
Zaragon is offline Find More Posts by Zaragon
Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:36 PM
y chucu, chucu, chuuuu...
Argentina, Buenos Aires
Joined Apr 2003
597 Posts
I did it, and ken's models are great.

The right process is: download and open the model file from kenís page, extract the files into the model folder, there is no need to select the files, just click on extract and select the destination.

Good landings

A
nick_cool is offline Find More Posts by nick_cool
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Condor 2000 + Crimson