HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:15 PM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
Help!
San Pedro tug from Harbor Models

Looking for info/pics about the San Pedro tug from Harbor Models and cant seem to find any info about it. Just ordered it and hope I did not get in over my head.
Milesc is offline Find More Posts by Milesc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:32 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
Sorry, have not built that kit , but interest's me, did Harbor give you all available information
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:48 PM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
It should be here next week
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:10 PM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
The tug has arrived. looks OK but I will replace the wood deck and the stern area needs help the mold joints are offset. Plans are on back order. l
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:20 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
Looks good....a set of plans would be helpful
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
The mold lines on the hull don't look as bad as some I have seen. Overall it looks like a pretty good kit. You could always keep the deck wood and just plank over it. How big is it?

Don
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
I see a plan in your flaw
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
They shipped you the boat and told you the plans were on backorder?

Marty
pusar is offline Find More Posts by pusar
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:35 PM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
A trial fit of the wood deck looked poor but as a base it should be OK. Scale 1/32, length 35", beam 10", nozzle and rudders were extra. And yes plans set to be shipped in a couple of days.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:43 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Milesc,

Im just starting the Harbor Model Invader boat for a client and it looks just like what you got there. Not a very clean fiberglass job on the inside it took alot of grinding and sanding to get close to a even thickness around the gunwale area.
Yes that deck wood is junk Im replaceing this one with .080 thick styrene and Im going to comb under it for alot more strength.

Goodluck
Longbike
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:58 AM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
Well I havenít started yet still waiting for plans, I may use the wood but cover it with styrene. I have a RS-775 motor but have found its RPMís are high so will need to replace it. I see you did not use a gear reduction are they needed. This is my first build of a scale boat, I have built Prather deep V and a Robbe dolly while stationed in Germany, The dolly was our rescue boat so I hope I didnít over do it with this tug
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:30 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
Yes, using the deck material supplied by Harbor created all lot of extra work.After attaching deck supports and deck beams (Harbor does not suggest either) The portside deck buckled, replaced it with styrene, a 2' X 4' piece is cheap, plus extra for other projects
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
Joined Nov 2004
240 Posts
Longbike
I like the grease fittings for the filler tubes.

everyone else
Glad to see some Harbor models projects poping up. I'm getting ready to start my Dumas/Harbormodels Darby. It was a toss up between the Darby and the invader.

Its normal to have to wait on some stuff from HM but I must say its well worth the wait.
bluezephyr is offline Find More Posts by bluezephyr
Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart_racer
Yes, using the deck material supplied by Harbor created all lot of extra work.After attaching deck supports and deck beams (Harbor does not suggest either) The portside deck buckled, replaced it with styrene, a 2' X 4' piece is cheap, plus extra for other projects
Harbor provided one deck beam....I was very happy with the quality and build of the kit
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
milesc
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
53 Posts
The San Pedro came with 3 beams but did not look like they would be enough. I have looked around the site and with all the info this build should go OK.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Oct 2005
13 Posts
I'm building a Harbor Models Westrac tug. The finish of the hull was not the greatest. My deck didn't even fit the hull. I'm in the process of building a frame to support the deck.
1lost1 is offline Find More Posts by 1lost1