SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
Discussion
My harbor tug, in the making

This is a harbor tug that I am building. I've been building static model ships and boats for a long time. I haven't built an R/C boat in many many years. This is going to take me quite some time to finish. I figured I would post some pictures for friendly criticism and/or advice.
Ken
tugboatken is offline Find More Posts by tugboatken
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:58 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
For additional reference, Kurt van Dahm has a build series going right now in Ships in Scale on the Hartman Harbor Tug.
Jul/Aug 06
Nov/Dec 06
& more to come!

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
I'll have to check into getting Ship in Scale. I have a few older issues, and there is no one local who sells it. I have to drive about 50 miles to the large HobbyTown in Kennesaw Ga. to get it. I don't mind though, it's quite a large hobby shop ( I was told it is the largest on the east coast) and I can browse for hours while my wife is out spending money in all of the stores around there. This is a Hartman hull. That's all I have. I don't have the entire kit. I'm scratch building everything. I've already cast port holes and watertight doors in alumilite. I've been accumulating parts for this build for about a year now. I know exactly how I want it to look. I have plans for the Hercules tug that I got from Taubman Plans a few years ago. I've modified them to serve my purpose in 1/24 scale.
Ken
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:58 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Looks good Ken.
Nice lathe, how do you keep it so clean?

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
I'm a tool nut, Don. I wanted to build a large live steam locomotive, so I bought a mill and a lathe. I guess I bit off more than I could chew at the time. I had so many project going at the same time, and the loco was a very costly project, so costly that I stopped building and sold it unfinished. I sold the mill and lathe later on and bought a Smithy machine. A good investment. Not too expensive, and with a little tweaking you can have a very accurate and dependable machine. It does everything need it for. Great for making small parts.
Ken
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:47 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
You can order back issues at www.seaways.com, if the shop doesn't still have the older issues.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It looks like you have a good start to this model. What kit is it?

Don
Tug Guy is online now Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:27 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
TugboatKen:
Yes welcome to the forum, that is a nice looking hull, what are you useing for a motor, and ESC.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. She will be powered by a MACK Products 4021 12V motor/gear reduction set (4 to1) spinning a 3" 4 blade prop. For a speed control I have a Mtronics Viper Marine 15 esc. I have been looking at hundreds of tugboats over the years, and the one that strikes me as the most interesting and the one I want to model the US Army tug ST-850. This tug will be modeled civilian, not Army. I will post pictures of the progress as it goes along. There is a story behind the hull. I purchased this hull from a guy who told me it was a Hartman hull. I've built a Hartman tug before and new that this couldn't be. It turns out that this hull was made by the fellow Steve who tried to cheat Dwight Hartman out of his business. I spoke with Dwight about this Steve guy at length. The hull has the exact dimensions but weighs 80 ozs. Dwight's hull weighs 42 ozs. Someone had drill the hull for the stuffing box and installed it. It is not centered, and well resined in. I didn't try to straighten it out in fear of ruining the hull. It's only slightly off. I will probably need a tad bit of right rudder to run straight. Well, I'm really enjoying reading and participating in these forums, and will be back frequently.
Ken
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
Here are some pictures of the US Army tug ST-850 that I am modeling my tug after.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
18 Posts
Army Tug

I have a copy of the Army's hull and superstructure drawings if they would be of any help. I have started building with a Hartman hull. I don't know how to post pictures here.

You might consider drilling out the stuffing box to straiten it out.

Mike
Mike1945 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1945
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,277 Posts
What a great picture of the Army tug!!!!!!!!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:46 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatken
Thanks for the welcome. She will be powered by a MACK Products 4021 12V motor/gear reduction set (4 to1) spinning a 3" 4 blade prop. For a speed control I have a Mtronics Viper Marine 15 esc. I have been looking at hundreds of tugboats over the years, and the one that strikes me as the most interesting and the one I want to model the US Army tug ST-850. This tug will be modeled civilian, not Army. I will post pictures of the progress as it goes along. There is a story behind the hull. I purchased this hull from a guy who told me it was a Hartman hull. I've built a Hartman tug before and new that this couldn't be. It turns out that this hull was made by the fellow Steve who tried to cheat Dwight Hartman out of his business. I spoke with Dwight about this Steve guy at length. The hull has the exact dimensions but weighs 80 ozs. Dwight's hull weighs 42 ozs. Someone had drill the hull for the stuffing box and installed it. It is not centered, and well resined in. I didn't try to straighten it out in fear of ruining the hull. It's only slightly off. I will probably need a tad bit of right rudder to run straight. Well, I'm really enjoying reading and participating in these forums, and will be back frequently.
Ken
Hi Ken,

Good luck on your project. I doubt that you'll ruin the hull by drilling out the misaligned stuffing box and reinstalling it right. You'll probably feel better knowing things are shipshape---.

That Steve Lillard guy was a real piece of work, and was out to cheat the entire model boat industry, and not only Dwight Hartman. His problem was that he ran out of B.S. and options at about the same time, and ended up doing himself in after realizing that everyone had his number---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Last edited by der kapitan; Nov 25, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
20 Posts
Mike, I'd sure like to see how your tug is coming out. You can add pictures by clicking on the Manage Attachments tab. When your typing your reply just scroll down below the message box, you'll see it there. I'm scratch building everything. I'm thinking of getting another tug from Dwight Hartman soon. I don't know how much longer he'll be doing these tugs. Try to get some pictures up, and I'll post more as I progress. I'm probably going to straighten my stuffing box out this week.
Ken