SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mat
The ground jumped at it!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
Discussion
How does the rotor head work on a blade cx?

What lets them move forward, back,left, and right?
Mat is offline Find More Posts by Mat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
The CX is no different than any other heli for F/B/L/R. Servo's change the angle of the rotor blades. Servos are connected to the swash plate and the swash plate is connected to the rotor. On the CX and all other dual rotor heli's they only use the lower blades to do this.

A big difference between the CX and some other more expensive single rotor heli's is the use of CCPM. Cyclic/collective pitches mixing. The simplest I can explain CCPM is that the servos work together through the controller instead of them each working independently meaning one servo will react to another servo movement to be more effective. But regardless the end result it the same. The blades are mechanically angled to cause the heli to fly forward back left or right.

For large helicopters the blades can be angled to cause lift or lack of lift. The helicopter can rise or decline without changing rpms. On a toy helicopter you just add or reduce rotor speed.

Tail spin or yaw on a dual rotor is done by changing the speeds of the two rotors. If the two rotors are spinning at the exact same speed the heli will balance itself out and the tail will hold still. Speed up or slow one motor down and the faster moving rotor will cause the heli to naturally spin. So when you tell the heli to spin right you are simply slowing down one motor and speeding up the other motor. The reason why both motor need to change speed is becuase if you just slowed down one motor the tail would spin but the heli would decline. On a tail rotor heli it is the same principle but the second rotor is on the back. Without a second rotor any heli will naturally want to spin because of the force of the rotor. The tail rotor does nothing more then balance the force. So same thing, when you tell the heli to spin right you are simply speeding up or slowing down the tail rotor.

Bottom line here is that a small heli like a CX uses the exact same basic principles to fly as any helicopter. The difference is because of the counter rotation blades you get a heli that is much, much, much more stable and easier to fly. The performance is nowhere near a single rotor heli and the two are almost incomparable in ease of flight. You will learn all the basic controls needed to fly a large heli but flying a larger heli requires a lot more skill.
stersman is offline Find More Posts by stersman
Last edited by stersman; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:20 PM
Mat
The ground jumped at it!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
What does the flybar at the top due?
Mat is offline Find More Posts by Mat
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:25 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
The flybar is a counter balance. The helicoptor needs this to be balanced. The single rotor heli's have one too.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
Here is a picture of my CP Pro with a good look at the flybar

Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
What does the flybar at the top due?
I'd suggest that you brows through this website.....

http://www.rchelibase.com/heli/

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405