HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:57 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,546 Posts
I've had mine built for awhile but never set the servos up or anything. However today I did and I run into a problem..sorta kinda. The z bend for the elev & rud are bent WAY to wide. The rudder refused to center with full throw from 1 side to the other. I eliminated that but have another problem. The horizontal stabilizer is deflecting (quite noticably) with full/partial elevator throws. And it's only happening on the side where the control horn is tied to the elevator. The offside isn't deflecting @ all. Everything is glued solid & the hinge lines are straight. No warping is visible or measured from either surface. The hinge gap is less then 1/32, in spacing difference, across the board. The one thing I did do different was to use 3/4" ca hinges. 4 total instead of the puny ones that were supplied. The hinges are slotted (v-cut) in the center which gives me 2ea. 1/4" hinges at each location. 1/4" gap between because of the v slot. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I'm really leaning towards a hinge causing some binding/torquing but?? The elevator isn't binding that I can see. I'm just baffled. Video @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post10539304
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by deckert; Sep 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
Sunnyvale, California USA
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
Has anyone used epoxy to glue the tail feathers on?
tora is offline Find More Posts by tora
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Tora- I used 15 min epoxy on my tailfeathers . The epoxy will give you time to make sure alignment is good while it sets.

I gotta hurry up and post some inflight picks of my Dvii . It is a absolute joy to fly on a windless early morning.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
Sunnyvale, California USA
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
where can i get the slightly longer screws to attatch the wooden plywood mount to the motor? What size?
tora is offline Find More Posts by tora
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
340 Posts
yay! it can take of short grass, this might be a mabey for me scince its so cheap to build.
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Oct 25, 2008, 03:24 AM
Brussel
Joined Nov 2005
451 Posts
Hello,

I have a question about the strut mounts in the wings ( the little pieces )
In the notice, It's written that I don't have to glue these pieces ...

Is it true ?!?

When I put the wings on them with the N struts, these pieces are moving a little bit and it seems the upper wing is twisted ....

Want can I do ?
Glue or not ?

Thank you for your councils

Rémi - Belgium
twinflandres is offline Find More Posts by twinflandres
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:09 PM
Really, I meant to do that...
Pensacola, Fl.
Joined Feb 2008
265 Posts
[QUOTE=twinflandres]Hello,

Is it true ?!?

When I put the wings on them with the N struts, these pieces are moving a little bit and it seems the upper wing is twisted ....

Want can I do ?
Glue or not ?

Rémi - Belgium[/QUOT

I did glue them in as I had the same concern as you mentioned. It does seem to tighten things up and most of all, you won't have to worry about one pulling loose when in flight, which as you can imagine, would not be good...
CKD315 is offline Find More Posts by CKD315
Old Nov 07, 2008, 12:09 AM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
306 Posts
I just received my GP Fokker DVII yesterday and am really looking forward to building it. The first thing that I did was to tone down the gloss by airbrushing a thin coat of Testors Dullcoat, thinned about 25% with lacquer thinner. There are a few things that just aren't proportionately correct about this model. One obvious flaw is the front cowling and lack of engine detail. I have a few ideas on how to possibly remedy this but I have to wait to see how much battery clearance I have under the stock battery cover. The other nagging visual on this model is the high positioned upper wing. I have studied many prototype photos, museum planes (Boeing Museum collection), as well as 1/3 and 1/4 scale model DVIIs. The wing on the Great Planes model just sits too high. I hope to get some measurements off of scale plans or photos to determine just how much. Now for the big question??? If I lowered the top wing by about 1/2 inch, will it significantly alter the flying characteristics of this plane? Looking at the cabanes, it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to do. I love the detail and the scale proportions of the larger 1/4 and 1/3 scale DVIIs but can never see myself going that route due to cost and the inconvenience of traveling to a large flying field. I currently have about 6 ideal park-flyer fields within 15 minutes of my house which greatly increases my flying time. My alternative is to add as much additional detail as practical and to lower the top wing of the Great Planes Fokker DVII. Any feedback on lowering the top wing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pete
Pete Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Pete Thomas
Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
I flew my Fokker DVII for the second time today. What a great airplane - it has no vices. I was climbing and rolling at the same time. Landing was a little hot on grass, but it stayed upright on the wheels and made me smile. Its a great design.

Gerry
Gerry, I was thinking about purchasing the Fokker. Do you have any suggestions on other options like motor, esc. I like Tower Hobbies but there prices can be high compared to other options.

I read other reviews that the 28-30-950 Rimfire motor was not sufficient.

Could you please help in the area. I have been in RC for about twenty years and the only experience I have with eletrics is a old Fokker and brushed motor that I purchased from Hobby Lobby back in 2000. Man have things changed.

Thanks Tllester
tllester is offline Find More Posts by tllester
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:30 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinflandres
Hello,

Is it true ?!?

Want can I do ?
Glue or not ?

Rémi - Belgium
I know this post is a bit old, and it's probably too late to answer your question, but you are supposed to glue those pieces in. It's in the instruction manual to glue them in after the upper wing is mounted and straight.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:57 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Tllester

I used the Rimfire motor and prop recommended by Tower along with a 3s 1250 lipo. Its been a little while since I built this model, so I don't remember exactly the motor designation, but its whatever Tower recommended. It sure works for me cause I have built and flown all of their WW I types to date and I like them all (I"m working on the Sopwith Camel right now).

The DVII is definitely not underpowered. I like it on our rough runway cause it only needs a foot or so and it is off the ground with great authority. I fly it on about half power unless I want to do climbing rolls and the like. It is probably faster than scale, but its sure neat to fly. Its been over a year now and I have quite a few planes, but the Fokker D VII is still the airplane most likely to be taken to the field.

Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:42 AM
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Would a castle creation thunderbird 18 work with the "Great Planes Rimfire 28-30-950 Out-Runner Brushless" on 3 cell?

Also would hs-55 be enough?
ally1405 is offline Find More Posts by ally1405
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:27 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,284 Posts
Yes to both--that is the setup in my Fokker DVII.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Yes to both--that is the setup in my Fokker DVII.
Great! Which prop do you find works best to keep the amps under 18 and still provide enough power?
ally1405 is offline Find More Posts by ally1405
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,284 Posts
I use a 10x3.8 APC or a 9x4.7 APC slow flyer.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.