HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
Tony,

My DVII has the same hinges as yours. Yes they are real small but they work fine and mine have held up well so far (a dozen flights +/-). Also, be careful to not lose any, Great Planes gave me exactly 13 hinges to meet the needs of this plane (you'd think they could spare a couple).

Wayne
wemattson is offline Find More Posts by wemattson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,922 Posts
edit: .... repeat, sorry ... ugh
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Feb 19, 2007, 09:08 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
411 Posts
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I got 13 of them. I cannot believe how small they are, hard to hold them. I will glue them in tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 19, 2007, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogCrewChief
I just measured the things that I think are the hinges and they are 3/16" X 3/8". The instructions say the hinges are 1/4" X 5/8". Anyone else have the same small hinges I do?

Tony
Those are the hinges. Don't worry they work just fine.
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,972 Posts
hinges

They are small but work just fine.
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:31 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,832 Posts
Here is how I install CA type of hinges. First ensure that everything fits and lines up. Insert the hinges into the control surface the required depth and tack in place with a tiny drop of CA applied with a toothpick. Do not saturate the hinge. Insert the control surface and move it up and down 45 degress to establish the necessary clearance for free movement. Apply CA to the top and wait. Do not use a Kicker as you want the CA to penetrate into the hinge and the surrounding wood. After the top has cured turn the surface over and apply CA to the other side of the hinge. Use care when applying the CA. I use toothpicks dipped in the CA to control the amount applied.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
What to use for cowling grate/radiator in front?

If you look at Mark Wolfs pics on the first page (bottom pic of first page) you'll see what I mean. It looks to be window screen type material. It looks alot better then the molded radiator inlet.

Any body have any ideas? Maybe Mark will chime in.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:38 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717

If you look at Mark Wolfs pics on the first page (bottom pic of first page) you'll see what I mean. It looks to be window screen type material. It looks alot better then the molded radiator inlet.

Spar
It looks like he just cleaned out the holes and painted it. I have some mesh material that looks real close to it.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717

Spar
window screen is ok for this.. there is a plastic type and a metal type.. The plastic stuff is better for this application since it weighs practically nothing.

I'm going to make a mold and vac form my own cowls from heaver stock, then use the plastic screen for it. I'm pretty tired of breaking the cowl with every other landing!
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
411 Posts
What is the best place to balance this plane at? I just balanced mine at the recommended CG with all the recommended gear and a TP 1320 pack. I had to add about 2 oz of lead.

Thanks,
Tony
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:17 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
oh my gawd !!

My 6 year old just sat on the Fokker box ( my fault for leaving it on floor) !!!

Looks like the left of middle has a two cross peices broken
It looks like I can repair it if I pull the covering off. This might be an excuse to re-cover the wing ina different color ( some lozenge covering would be sweet) .

You think I could slice into covering and repair it without to much of a hassle?

Spar

Dvii grounded
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
What is the best place to balance this plane at? I just balanced mine at the recommended CG with all the recommended gear and a TP 1320 pack. I had to add about 2 oz of lead.

Thanks,
Tony
Mine has the Rec. motor and gear, also the TP1320 and balanced without any adjustments (or lead)
I was lucky, I guess

Maiden flight was yesterday and this plane flies sweet
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Tony
Yikes! I used a CSRC 3s 1250 right at the front of the battery pocket and a Eskay400xt, and it didn't need any nose weight to balance at the recommended point - thank goodness as I HATE adding weight (was that 2.250 from the leading edge? - I think its right where the balsa skin under the covering leaves off). Now that I've flown it a bit, I think the CG needs to come back a bit from the recommended point as I have a little static up elevator at 1/2 throttle.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by spinnetti; Mar 14, 2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: listed wrong battery initially
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:05 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
411 Posts
That is kinda weird. I balanced mine at the recommended CG with a great planes balancer and it definitely needed lead, it was actually 1.5 oz of lead. I put liquitex on the entire plane, not sure if that has something to do with the need for lead. I weighed the entire plane, ready to fly, and it weighs 27oz. Great planes says it should be 26oz. so I am pretty happy with the weight mine came out at.

Tony
Old Mar 13, 2007, 09:48 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
HogCrewChief,

I also use a GP Balancer and my Fokker finnished out at 23.5 oz
I also used the Liquitex, but as a very light coating.

The Fokker in the E Zone Review weighed 22.7 oz.

Something does not add up right
Re Check the balance at 2.125 in
Either the equipment in front of the CG is lighter than what others used..
Or Assembly or equipment past the CG is heavier than what others used.

GP Is releasing the Fokker DrI triplane in late ApriI. It will be $10 more than the SE5A and the Fokker DVII
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker