HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Fokker's motor seems to over heat

I finally used the racommended prop (10x4.5) with the Rimfire and it flies much better than with the gws 9x5 prop. But after flying I touched the motor through the hole under the fuse and it was almost cooking !! Has anyone noticed this? I think that it needs more direct ventilation from the cowl. The cowling's ventilation screen is not directly in fron of the motor but above it.
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I checked mine. I use an APC 10x4.7E prop. It was comfortably warm after a nice relaxed flight. Most of the time I was at half throttle. Are you firewalling it a lot?
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
I only go full throttle when I go for loops or vertical manouvers, about 15% to 20% of the time. I also forgot to mention that the average temperature down here is 85 degrees fereheight year long, so that may help a little. I am considering a vent on each side of the motor shaft exit in front of the cowl for better airflow over the motor. I will be flying in about an hour and I will check the temp again. If it heats up againg I will make the new holes on the cowl.
Old Feb 05, 2007, 08:30 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
I just got my Dvii. Looks nice so far.

Now I gotta decide what motor to use. The recomended Rimfire is priced nicely but was wondering about power.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Feb 05, 2007, 08:43 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
I love P-40's, but I am a sucker for any Fokker aircraft. Soooo... I am just finishing my DVII as well. I applied the Liquitex varnish over the Monokote and it looks sweet. Very easy to do as well. I'll post some pictures one I get more of the detailing on.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
Old Feb 05, 2007, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717
I just got my Dvii. Looks nice so far.

Now I gotta decide what motor to use. The recomended Rimfire is priced nicely but was wondering about power.

Spar
Hi Sparrow, instead of using the rimfire and the esc that Great Planes recommends try adapting a 2410-12d motor and esc from www.headsuprc.com
it is an Ebay store. This is the combination that I installed on my SE5a from Great Planes and it has more power with a smaller prop (GWS 9x5) and gives me longer flying times with a lipo 11.1volt 1700mAh battery (22+ minutes!!!)
I have the recommended set up on my Fokker and it lacks the power, flying times and the price. The 2410-12d and ESC combo go for $30 plus $2 for shipping.

GOOD FLYING!!!!!!
Old Feb 05, 2007, 09:29 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,954 Posts
I used an E-Flight 370 outrunner flies good.

What's the Liquitex varnish do, give it a dull sheen?
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:08 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,004 Posts
fokker

Just love this bird. I have always liked the bi-plane. It took me a while to get use to the landing. I found that if I put the cg at the aft most point I had better luck. Get a lot of heads turning at my flying field. I went with the reccommened equipment and it worked fine. I am useing a tp 1320 3 cell. Had to add a little weight to the nose.
I did one thing.. I added some wire bends to the outer wings so if I get wing drop on landing the wings don't hit . You can hardly notice them.
Great plane and a lot of fun.. Good and accurate review.
Sanford
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
I used an E-Flight 370 outrunner flies good.

What's the Liquitex varnish do, give it a dull sheen?
Check this thread starting with post #166. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...595066&page=12
This is how I do it.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,644 Posts
Mike, excellent review, as usual. Ronnie, those stills are superb! You guys make me want to go out and buy one of these right now!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Thanks Barnesjonr.......you should get it - it is a gem. Just few it again the other day. Very fun airplane - and it looks fantastic.

Now we just need them to make the DVIII.....o yea! The DR1 would be just fine too!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,644 Posts
The desire is growing as I keep thinking about it Mike ... in my head: "Well, I don't have ANY WWI planes in my fleet, either built or unbuilt"...."My Ultrafly Outrage is getting old and tired and I won't have a biplane when it is gone" .... "The VII is so scale looking and I don't have any scale planes really!?"

Am I the only one who "reasons" and convinces myself that I HAVE to have another plane?!

Ronnies stills are really eating at me, because it looks AWESOME and quite real in them. Plus your friends as usual unbelievably REAL pilot figure is great! He takes good care of you and Ronnie and his work is simply amazing!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
414 Posts
I have just started to put togther my DVII and I have a question. Does the plane come with hinges? The only thing I found is, what I think might be the hinges but they are SUPER small. Sorry for such a stupid question.

Thanks,
Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
414 Posts
I just measured the things that I think are the hinges and they are 3/16" X 3/8". The instructions say the hinges are 1/4" X 5/8". Anyone else have the same small hinges I do?

Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:24 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Yep Tony those are the hinges - they come in a sheet and are small about 1/4"x1/2"

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member