Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mailbox sneaking up on you like that
Darned things, you just can't trust them anymore.
Just waiting for the weather to smarten up so that I can maiden mine.
I don't like standing in the rain at the best of times, and be darned if I'm gonna get wet to fly...I know i'm a wussie, but you tend to get that way as you get older besides, I haven't found anything that I can put over the markings on my model to dull the finish without making the markings run yet, so it's really shiny, and likely would blind me from the glare if the sun comes out
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Quote:
I don't like standing in the rain at the best of times,
How do you ever get to fly then?

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
I sneak in the odd flight between rain showers, and I wear sunglasses

Having the field in my " backyard " helps...if it looks somewhat decent in the morning, I sneak in a flight before work...if it looks good in the afternoon, I
find an excuse to go home for an hour or two...but until I figure out how to installl windshield wipers on my glasses, I'm done for wet weather flying The raindrops distort things somewhat. Added to that is the old tri-focal thingy...I think I'll get a pair of just ordinary one prescription glasses for flying....that way I'll be reasonably sure that what I'm seeing is actually what I'm looking at I know you think you understand what you thought you heard, but I'm not too sure you understand that what you thought I said isn't what I meant,. Soon the days will be getting longer, and we can get back to committing some serious avaition.
right now I have to get my " fix " in one of the barns with a small heli.....
Man life is tough...but it's good to be king
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:19 AM
Garry Owen!
Florida
Joined Oct 2004
341 Posts
New Fuslages are available. But I suppose at 39.99 repairing the damage would make more sense.

Yak

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMG9&P=Z
Yak18 is offline Find More Posts by Yak18
Last edited by Yak18; Dec 21, 2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak18
New Fuslages are available. But I suppose at 39.99 repairing the damage would make more sense.

Yak

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMG9&P=Z
Thanks for the link, but it doesn't make economic sense. I'll buckle down and fix it, and buy just the cowl part (and will make a form to make my own after that). I'm still bummin about it, but making mistakes is how I rapidly improve both my flying and my modelling skills
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Jan 01, 2007, 05:37 PM
Check your six....
Kalamazoo Kal/Btlcrk, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2001
324 Posts
What Kink of covering is used.

Mike-

Do you know what covering is used for the Folker and SE5a. I'm so use to regular monokote that I was not perpared for its behavior when I used a iron on it. The covering does not stick very well and shrinks greatly when exposed to even a iron on 1/2 setting. I found that out when I tried to get the wrinkles out of the wing tips and found that it pull the covering off the edges.

Don
twinster2 is offline Find More Posts by twinster2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2007, 06:10 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
I do not know the make of the covering - sorry!

I have learned (as you now have) with the Chinese made ARF's to try the coolest of irons before doing any shrinking. Most of them are very low temp in my experience.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2007, 08:58 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Well, finally buckled down and fixed my DV tonight.

Hey, do I get the prize for the first one to "total" a DVII?

My red covering didn't match, but otherwise, it pieced back together pretty good. I'll post a pic after my new cowl comes from Tower.

I found that the covering seems to be about the same as the stuff I had lying around, but I'm not experienced in covering, so can't confirm or deny previous concerns...

Happy New Years
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Jan 01, 2007, 11:44 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
when I took the white covering off the aft section of mine, I replaced it with red Monokote.( because I wanted to change the colour scheme)..it went on fine...you will find that the covering on the D Vll responds better to a heat gun and a gloved hand to rub it down than it does to a sealing iron. all the wrinkles came out nicely on the rest of the model with the heat gun.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:14 PM
Elgin, OK.
Joined Dec 2006
90 Posts
I got my fokker today that santa had ordered for me, got it home and layed all the parts out on the table to look at and noticed that the left aileron had been curled in from the outside edge, the round part that sticks out had been curled under so the balsa had been broke in it, can't imagine that it would be that hard to fix but I've never done this type of covering, only balsa coverings I've ever done is the tissue, never messed with Monokote before, any advise on fixing this would be greatly appreciated, I can only assum that I need to remove the existing covering from the aileron and try an match it with something at the hobby store???? anyone else had problems in this area, seems very fragile there, other than that model looks great. thanks, Chris
Mongo40 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo40
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Missle red monokote matches (or so I have been told). Not all that hard - but you can practice first - you must strip it to expose the damaged area so you can fix it...

MIke
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2007, 09:47 PM
Elgin, OK.
Joined Dec 2006
90 Posts
thanks, I'll take the piece into the shop tomorrow and see what I can find. I can fix the broken wood no problem, just never applied Monokote before. thanks
Chris
Mongo40 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo40
Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:36 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Great review!

I sure wish they would do a DR1..
Right On! I'd buy a Electrifly DR1. I am very happy with my SE5a.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
Last edited by P-40; Jan 20, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Hello! I flew my new Fokker with the recomended Rimfire 28-39-950 with a GWS 9x6 prop. The plane flew just fine but I really was not impressed with the motor's performance. Was this lack of performance due to the prop that I used? I already have an SE5a and I mounted a cheap generic 2410-12 motor and I can fly it at a little under half throttle and can get over 22 minutes of flight time flying acrobatics with a 1700mAh 3s lipo. I only got 10 minutes with the rimfire on my Fokker with the same battery. Also I noticed that after the flight the motor did not turn smoothly when I turned it manually but after a few minutes it turned smoothly again. WEIRD!!! Suggestions anyone???
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:45 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Just for fun, here are some pics of a maiden flight in San Diego. My experience regarding the CG echoes others here. I'm going to set it at 2 1/4 inches behind the LE. I also knocked out the balsa battery tray and built a lower one so I could use my 3S 2100mah batteries in it. I flew it today with a 1700 mah 3S and 2oz of lead in the nose, so I know it'll handle the 2100. I've already verified it balances without the lead. 20 minute flights?

Yes, I'll be adding a pilot, soon. It looks naked without! Sure is a pretty plane, though.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson