SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
what did you use to do the clear coat over the sharpie?? anything I have tried thus far makes the sharpie ink run...since I did a lozenge scheme on mine with a sharpie, I can't afford to have it run when I spray over it. Tried Testors dull kote...it runs.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:19 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
what did you use to do the clear coat over the sharpie?? anything I have tried thus far makes the sharpie ink run...since I did a lozenge scheme on mine with a sharpie, I can't afford to have it run when I spray over it. Tried Testors dull kote...it runs.
I used the same Testors Model Master clear that I sprayed the rest of the model with, but with two very, very light coats.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Required Reading:
http://www.richthofen.com/

Manfred von Richtofen's account of his experiences in WWI. A very interesting read.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:48 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,299 Posts
Great review!

I sure wish they would do a DR1..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
I sure wish they would do a DR1..
No kidding - the DVIII talks to me also. But I want a bigger one of those......a 300w one would be nice....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
10 Posts
Perfect Timing

Mike
Thanks for the review it confirmed some set-up question I had.
I completed mine this morning and bench tests show almost the
same spec as your review. This is interesting because none of
electrics I used are the "recommended" Type.
I hope greatplanes expands this line with a sopwith or a Dr1
Thanks for the good work Mike.
Steve
PHWSteven is offline Find More Posts by PHWSteven
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Thanks Steve - glad it helped!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Good review... best looking in the air of any bird I have .. I'm going to dull coat it eventually, but its just amazing how good it looks.

As good as it is, it could use a little tune up as delivered (Similar to review comments):

1. Aileron servo linkages are too short if you build like they show (horn centered in opening. I just made up a couple longer ones, but used their method.. works very well.

2. Aileron wire chase string is impossbile to route servo wires that way; I just fished it around to the bigger opening. It worked fine, but I hate fishing wires. My dream would have been a pre-installed "y" servo connector so you can just connect and go.

3. The little horns for the interplane struts were marked wrong.. had to go by the pictures.

4. Radio hatch access difficult once gear is on. Would be better with two dowels on the back end, and the screws just in front (where you can get to them).

5. Vac form cowl is very fragile. Taking off the battery hatch (or looking crossways at it) easily breaks it. Would be nice if this was a bit thicker.

Overall:
> My "engine bay" is different than you show in the pictures. Barely fits my CSRC 1250 pack. It fit without mods; not complaining, just slightly different than shown in your review.
> Built like a brick; I can't believe how strong it is. If you break this one, you probably earned it! I bet they could lighten it up a couple oz and still be plenty strong. I wonder if this was intended as a gasser?
> Construction and covering job were top notch - not a flaw anywhere.
> I wish it was more "ARF".. they should do like real airplane companies and call these "Quick build" kits instead of "ARF".
> Odd that some decals on, some off, some holes pre-drilled, some not etc.

PS,

If they build me a DVIII, I'll buy that too
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Dec 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:59 PM
WMB
Montana
Joined Sep 2002
111 Posts
Would it be hard to convert this to glo? Maybe 15 2 stroke or 30 four. Looks like a great plane. I don't think I'm ready to take the electric plunge.
Thanks, MikeB
WMB is offline Find More Posts by WMB
Old Dec 17, 2006, 07:42 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMB
Would it be hard to convert this to glo? Maybe 15 2 stroke or 30 four. Looks like a great plane. I don't think I'm ready to take the electric plunge.
Thanks, MikeB
Not too hard...the 30 4 stroke would be FAR too much engine. A .10-.15 would be plenty even the stronger .074 would work.

Someone did a glow conversion on the SE5a...let me look for that...
Here it is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579680

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:15 PM
go plane go!
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2005
134 Posts
AXI style mounts available.

For sale here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612423

Laser-cut mounts. Easy way to mount an axi style motor on this plane. It replaces the stock motor mount.

I love my SE5a, but the Fokker is still in the box.

jimx5000 is offline Find More Posts by jimx5000
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Nice mount....well worth $5....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
Alabama
Joined Apr 2004
80 Posts
Details

Need to post a picture but cut the heads off a lot of straight pins & if you look at the side panels, there are detents when they had fastners. Punched them thru & a little black wash(oil streaks) coming out of the side vents. A really great flyer.
hirpm is offline Find More Posts by hirpm
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I just did the maiden flight on my Fokker. What fun! It looks great in the air and flew terrific. You need to carry some power on landing to combat all that drag, but it will come it at a snail's pace. I landed on blacktop and the roll-out was all of 3 ft.

If, like me, you've been wanting a WWI subject but lack the skill and patience to tackle one of Peter Rake or AerodromeRC's designs then this may be just what you're looking for.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:11 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf
It's super easy and takes all of a minute to do. All you need is a brown Sharpie marker. Color the prop brown, then smear it with your finger. I got the idea from someone else on RCGroups and so take no credit for it. I did give the prop a light coat of clear to protect it, as the marker can rub off even after dry.

Color, smear, clear.

Hey! Your prop and radiator look exactly like mine!

Except after todays botched cross-wind landing, it ended up Iron Mailbox post 1, DVII 0... ... Time to practice my fabrication skills... (totally crushed the nose, ripped out the motor, broke prop, smashed radiator, battery cover etc...) <sigh>
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Dec 20, 2006 at 09:12 PM.