Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2009, 01:10 AM
Darwin NT Australia
Joined May 2009
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I flew my DVII for the first time the other day...I have had it for a while and was too apprehensive to fly such a purty thang... needn't have worried. It flew beautifully.. I have turned the undercarraige around as suggested here to help with nosing over... didn't have any dramas so far anyway.. mine runs an Ultrafly FRIO which doesnt fit too badly once you space the cowl forward to clear the fins on the motor..I know neither changes are scale but you cant tell unless you look close.
Johnnie V is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie V
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 08:00 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Congrats Johnnie - it is a great little airplane. Flies well - unlike most WWI models!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2009, 01:39 AM
In thrust we trust
Chandler AZ
Joined Mar 2008
392 Posts
Does anyone know how we can fab a new radiator cowl? Mine is so think I am afraid that just looking at it will break it. I was thinking taking mine and making some kind of mold in order to make some out of lapped fiberglass??? Any ideas that may be any easier?
devilbomber is offline Find More Posts by devilbomber
Old May 22, 2009, 04:51 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,661 Posts
You could always order a replacement, that sounds like the easiest option to me . Give Scott a call at airland hobbies, he can sort you out.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 09:00 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2006
224 Posts
My Experiencce with the ElectriFly Fokker

I saw this thread and thought I'd publish a link to my blog sharing relevant experience.

http://helishack.blogspot.com/2009/0...-dvii-wwi.html

It's great plane and has ended up being one of my favorites! She gets a lot of attention from everyone. I think I might have sold several of these by just flying this one around the field and leaving it sitting pretty in the pits.

Jeff
helishack is offline Find More Posts by helishack
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:27 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,094 Posts
Is there another one that looks exactly like this? My brother bought one off a friend of ours but the battery goes in on the bottom, above the landing gear. And it has a motor box mount and wire rigging from the fuse to the upper wing. The tail markings are a white tail with black stripes.

I can never seem to find this one. Only the ones pictured earlier in this thread. It's wingspan is slightly bigger than my Electrifly Ultimate. Either way, this Fokker flys AWESOME!!! Just flew it for the 4th time this evening. Very stable, docile, loops and rolls great and lands like a dream.

Here's a few pics:
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:38 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Setting of down- and right thrust

Hi,
I'm just on my way ordering this beautiful kit and have quickly read the construction manual without finding any hints about if you need to set any right and/or down thrust on the motor.

I'm sure many of you will have some ideas, comments or suggestions regarding this

Or do you all fly your DVII's without any change of the thrust angle?

Many thanks in advance,
Newbe who's still training on his Minimag, but desperately want the DVII
IFT3226 is offline Find More Posts by IFT3226
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:56 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,289 Posts
IFT3226,
These ARF's already have the down and right thrust built into the firewall.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:14 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFT3226
Hi,
I'm just on my way ordering this beautiful kit and have quickly read the construction manual without finding any hints about if you need to set any right and/or down thrust on the motor.

I'm sure many of you will have some ideas, comments or suggestions regarding this

Or do you all fly your DVII's without any change of the thrust angle?

Many thanks in advance,
Newbe who's still training on his Minimag, but desperately want the DVII
These are built with the thrust angles set - provided you use the Rimfire motor. If you are able to maintain the built-in mount, with a different motor, you should be good to go. For example:
- On the SE5a, the thrust angle is set by the first fuselage former, so I just made a motor adapter to mount the motor in the same place the Rimfire would go. I believe the DVII is the same.
- On the DR1, the thrust angle is set by a motor mount box glued to the first former. For the DR1, I sawed off the box and made a flat plate motor mount (firewall) and set the thrust angle by adding a thick washer under the upper left (right if viewing from the front) tang of the motor mount. Not a concern if the recommended Rimfire motor is used.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:32 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
Is there another one that looks exactly like this?
That is the Lanier DVII. They came out with the DVII and SE5a roughly the same time as the Great Planes (GP) versions. The Laniers seemed to be pretty good, but not as rugged as GP. They were short lived and went on sale as close outs at Tower last year. I got mine for $49.

Lanier was acquired by GP last year, along with Carl Goldberg. Towards the end Lanier's reputation went way down hill, but my DVII seems to be built pretty well. Some of the hardware is cheap compared to GP models. If the wheels didn't break yet, they will; they are very flimsy. I purchased a pair of GP wheels to use on mine.

Here's the original RC Groups review: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685036
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:47 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbomber
Does anyone know how we can fab a new radiator cowl? Mine is so think I am afraid that just looking at it will break it. I was thinking taking mine and making some kind of mold in order to make some out of lapped fiberglass??? Any ideas that may be any easier?
Why dont you reinforce the inside of the standard cawl with fibergalss ,just stretch the cawl first to allow a gap to build back to standard internal size,just heat the cawl with a hair dryer wrap the fuse with some tape and stretch the cawl over the fuse,the cawl will be very soft when heated with the dryer dude.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jul 08, 2009, 02:07 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Stacker and Benhobe,

Thanks for the quick reply! Now I'll find It really hard to resist that "order" button!

My workbench is still occupied by the repair of a crashed Depron pusher prop jet, but as soon as there is some space left
IFT3226 is offline Find More Posts by IFT3226
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:44 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,289 Posts
IFT3226,
You are welcome. You will love the plane. I've flown the heck out of mine. I think these planes are about the best value out there. About the only problem I've had was the cowl is brittle and if it laps the battery panel it cracks easy on nose overs. Also if the wing strut screws are two tight the mounts can split. Drilling a little larger solves this.

Have fun -- Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,297 Posts
I put a little 0.5 oz fiber glass cloth applied with epoxy on my cowl and that helps strengthen it.
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:26 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhobe
That is the Lanier DVII. They came out with the DVII and SE5a roughly the same time as the Great Planes (GP) versions. The Laniers seemed to be pretty good, but not as rugged as GP. They were short lived and went on sale as close outs at Tower last year. I got mine for $49.

Lanier was acquired by GP last year, along with Carl Goldberg. Towards the end Lanier's reputation went way down hill, but my DVII seems to be built pretty well. Some of the hardware is cheap compared to GP models. If the wheels didn't break yet, they will; they are very flimsy. I purchased a pair of GP wheels to use on mine.

Here's the original RC Groups review: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685036
Thanks!!! I was thinking this must be the Lanier one. That confirms it. So far she flys great and is holding up perfectly. I'll definitely let him know about the wheel fatigue. Thanks again!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam