HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:48 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
Discussion
F7F Tigercat Build

I've enjoyed this forum but haven't contributed much yet. Thought I would do a short build on my F7F Tigercat. The plane was built for a gathering we had in Vegas. It was the pusher jet crowd and I wanted something to surprise them with.
The plane flies beautifully and I really couldn't have asked for much more. It is a bit underpowered as I had Typhoon 6/20's available and it could use a slightly larger motor. But it does fly very nice on the setup. The flying pic is out at the Vegas fly-in taken by Jon Barnes.

F7F Tigercat:
6/20 Typhoon outrunners
Phoenix 10 esc's
3s-2100's lipos
APC 6x4 props
46" ws
37 AUW

Quite awhile back, Mark Rittinger posted rough drawings that he had done. They are lacking alot of detail but had everything that I needed to complete my model.
I did this plane in 2" Blue foam, 3" Pink foam, fanfold, and a little Depron. So I guess it's sort of a hybrid build. The fuse is blue foam, carved and sanded to shape.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by J Morgan; Nov 16, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:58 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
I decided early on to tackle the hardest part of the build. The two big identical nacelles. At least I tried to make them identical and they came out fairly close.
These were done the same as the fuse but with 3" pink foam since they are so large.
After shaping and rough sanding, I split the nacelles apart and hollowed the inside.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:05 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
The wing was done as simply as possible. Two balsa spars tapering to the tip.
I cut a foam wedge for the trailing edge that gives 3 degrees washout. This will tame the beast and prevent tip stalls. 6mm Depron was used for the bottom and fanfold for the top.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:06 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
well J, i'll be starting mine soon! guys, i put about 6 flights on this model in vegas, and loved every second! what a beautiful bird in the air and on the ground! i couldnt get enough of it! just ask J! great pisc J! cant wait to start mine!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:15 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Nice job with the F7f!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:06 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Lovely model and subject,I still have an Aeronaut TC in a box here I will one day get started on (only had it 3 years!)

Nice work J (as usual )

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:46 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,749 Posts
I've never "scratch built" anything but this one is a beauty! It stole my heart, seeing it fly with the sun low and bright in the sky!!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:22 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&page=8&pp=15
Here's a link to a great series of pics Jon got of it. Post # 108 in that thread.

Thanks for the nice comments, it is such a sweet flying airplane. I have the motors screwed to ply plates which in turn are glued to the foam nacelles sides. Found that the mounts tend to break free if the prop is vertical during landing. I fixed that by reinforcing with an additional 1/64" ply plate that distributes the load across a wider area.
Haven't got time to add any more build sequence until tonight. Stay tuned.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:23 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Bird as usual from the John Morgan Foam Works

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:52 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,592 Posts
Nice John!
If I had known you started from Mark's I would have sent you a better plan to start from. Mark's deviates from scale outline in several areas and is thicker than scale in cross section in several spots. (turtledeck is too flat in Mark's plan and canopy outline is wrong among a few...)
Captures the spirit and look of the Tigercat though.

I have Dave Diehl's plan for a FF rubber and it is true scale in outlines and cross-section, the wing airfoil may not be though. I started on a balsa build of it and scrapped it because I had modified to make the bottom a larger cross-section and flat sheet and it didn't look right. I was considering a FFF or depron foam build but you beat me to it.
I think he's a hoser for that, would you agree CorsairNut? He's a great hoser but still a hoser for beating me to it.
Morgan Aircraft Works cranks out another design eh?

And this was his secret project that was driving a few nuts.

Very nice job John, you should be proud.

RAFster
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
The other plan would have helped with formers too but it's too late now.
Your PP is headed your way too David.
Now where did I leave off?..........
Oh yeah, wing panels were built.
I added balsa wingtips and the balsa aileron foundation pieces. This allows me to use CA hinges, quick & easy
Then marked reference lines and started carving the fuse.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
So the wings are ready to set dihedral. The stab is just 6mm depron with 1/4" balsa inserts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:14 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
After I glued the panels together, I gave the middle a layer of 8 oz FG/epoxy.
After splitting the fuse halves & hollowing the fuse I glued it back.
Then started covering with silkspan & poly. I used silkspan on this build due to worrying about the weight buildup. A more powerful version and I would use epoxy/glass.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
I cut out the ailerons, built them up so I could mount them. Mounted with servo horns and marked the nacelle locations on the bottom of the wing.
Back to the fuse....
I cut off the nose cone...this will be battery access. Then waxed the foam nose, used plaster of paris to make a mold. After dry, dissolve the foam out with laquer thinner. Then wax the mold and lay in 2 layers of 8 ox cloth/epoxy.
Pic shows the FG nose.
More later........

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:46 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,592 Posts
John,
I must say...you always seem to make it look easy. You have it down to a science.
BTW, why Depron and FFF for the wing? Is the Depron stronger?
Looks like you used the scale drawings & photos as a reference and got things looking closer to scale...
Did you happen to take any of the fuse halves separated? Did you use a rotary rasp or what to hollow with?

Thanks for picking up the PP for me!

You should see Kalmazoo's big Tigercat...I fell in love with the plane when I saw her fly about 8-10 years ago. The Bearcat also was one of my favorites after seeing it fly.
The Mustang and Tbolt and even Corsair just don't hold a candle to the big Grumman iron.

Movers picked up my stuff today, should be back in Tucson on Monday or Tuesday.
They mangled some stuff in my shop and weren't very thorough as I found several bags with some pricey hobby stuff tossed in the corner of the basement. One bag alone had a Killer Bee 051 NIP, 09 heads, APC 5x5, 4.75x4.75, and 5.5x4.5 props, S400 retiming tool, and a pair of Pee-Wee 020s. A Fox 15 was in a box they tossed in the corner as well. A small Guillows P40 fuse was crunched up to near nothing.
As much as they went through and the fact I didn't have time to get much packed in the shop it was OK.

Thanks for sharing the build!

David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster