HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:02 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,240 Posts
Question
Those flimsy fiberglass Trex canopies!*%#!

I've broken my second Trex fiberglass canopy in the last two months!!!! Rats! It seems that if you bend the wings just a little too far when putting the canopy or taking it off, the gel coat cracks. Do you all have the same problem? Is there a way to keep from breaking these things?!?!
Thanks!
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
when i first noticed mine starting to crack, i flooded the side(inside) areas with thin ca, have remained in one piece till this point.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:21 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
my 2 fiber glass canopies are having million scars. I use tape to tape it all over the place. AT first I was concerned with the cracks, later, it's just the fact that I live with. I crash many many times. It sure out lasts several plastic canopies.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:07 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2005
222 Posts
I've shortened the two canopy supports; that way the 'wings' of the canopy don't have to be bent open that far.

It also looks a lot nicer that way because the wings are not at an angle to the rest of the canopy when installed.
mille is offline Find More Posts by mille
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
this is what i do, i honestly put more layers of a heavy clear coat on the canopy, wetsand, then buff to attain same look. makes it much stronger, and less brital.
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:58 AM
Zlin Flier
Ventura CA
Joined Dec 2003
459 Posts
I wore out several plastic canopys. My current align fiberglass canopy has been doing fine for 70 hours, about 400 flights. I am flying a TRex XL, maybe it is a bit narrower.
Rick McWilliams is offline Find More Posts by Rick McWilliams
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:12 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,240 Posts
mille: That's a great idea, shortening the canopy supports. Unfortunately I can't do that as I'm using HS-65's that stick out quite a bit. I have the ball on the inside of the servo arms, and the upper one already hits the canopy a bit when it is up. Doesn't affect performance as the servo is pretty strong.
Ken
Old Nov 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
Quote:
have the ball on the inside of the servo arms, and the upper one already hits the canopy a bit when it is up. Doesn't affect performance as the servo is pretty strong.
Ken
do you think that might be accentuating the cracking effect.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2005
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
I have the ball on the inside of the servo arms, and the upper one already hits the canopy a bit when it is up.
Ken
I've inserted the servos (Graupner C121) from the inside of the slot so that they stick out less. All balls are mounted on the outside. It took me a while to figure out that I should slide the bottom of the canopy between the battery and the battery support instead of underneath the support. That eliminated all rubbing, and the clearance is now 4mm.

On the C121 the distance between the top of the mounting tabs and the top of the output shaft is 10mm. That dimension may be larger on the HS65.
mille is offline Find More Posts by mille
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:38 PM
Joined Jul 2006
256 Posts
A clear coat might work. I sprayed mine and so far no cracks
Tomie is offline Find More Posts by Tomie
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,240 Posts
Actually, I just ordered a custom canopy from Arizona Heli for my Trex SE. Can't wait. The Arizona Heli canopies I've seen have quite a lot of paint and clear coat, so maybe that will keep it from cracking. I'll also coat the inside of the canopy around the grommets with CA, as whatyagointado said.
Ken
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:30 AM
Pa., USA
Joined Jan 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille
I've inserted the servos (Graupner C121) from the inside of the slot so that they stick out less. All balls are mounted on the outside. It took me a while to figure out that I should slide the bottom of the canopy between the battery and the battery support instead of underneath the support. That eliminated all rubbing, and the clearance is now 4mm.
On the C121 the distance between the top of the mounting tabs and the top of the output shaft is 10mm. That dimension may be larger on the HS65.

That trick works great for the Trex xl HDE also.
Don
don_87 is offline Find More Posts by don_87
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:10 AM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Great idea, it always bugged me how the wings flared out. (digging in the spare parts bin for plastic canopy pins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille
I've shortened the two canopy supports; that way the 'wings' of the canopy don't have to be bent open that far.

It also looks a lot nicer that way because the wings are not at an angle to the rest of the canopy when installed.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:15 AM
Learning to fly helis
Mundijong, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2006
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
Actually, I just ordered a custom canopy from Arizona Heli for my Trex SE. Can't wait. The Arizona Heli canopies I've seen have quite a lot of paint and clear coat, so maybe that will keep it from cracking. I'll also coat the inside of the canopy around the grommets with CA, as whatyagointado said.
Ken
I read an interview in this month's Model Helicopter World magazine about Arizona helis. Apparently the "blank" fibre glass canopies they (he) uses are made by a nearby fibre glasser and are stronger than the stock canopies.
Evil Lord X is offline Find More Posts by Evil Lord X
Old Nov 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,240 Posts
I actually ordered two canopies from Bill at Arizona Heli. They are both custom, one for my Trex SE and the other for my Trex 600 - both with a US Flag design. Since Bill doesn't do Trex SE canopies, and has only just started doing Trex 600 canopies, I think I heard him say that he uses the stock Align canopies. I'll let you all know how they come out and post photos when I get them. But it will be a while. His waiting list has my ship date out in early January.
Ken