SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
Yippee!
4500 watts of craziness

I nominate my buddy Mark F.'s electrified F3D plane that uses a Castle 125 esc, Neu motor, and 12S Evos for a whopping 4500 watts of whoop a$$. Had been clocked at 205mph on the fourth flight and has increased since changing motors, props and batteries.

Videos:
Demo flown at a Q40 gas pylon race, Mark's electric F3D is the single airplane in the air half way through the video.
RacinAtTheBasin (1 min 6 sec)

Quick blip of 37,000 RPM and supersonic prop tips.... it's sorta loud.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=950748
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Troy; Dec 13, 2006 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Is this second video showing that electrified version? Very interesting sound! Why at the end it stops? Is this because of breaking the sound barrier by prop tips? Is this plane so quiet as is at the end of this video?
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:26 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Now that's impressive. You'll have to pardon my ignorance but how is the e-performance compare to a standard Q40?

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
Szymon, the plane was being trimmed and so the motor ran for a few seconds to test the trim at speed....the camera man turned off the camera because he thought I was going to land. There was more flying after that video clip ended.

SchiessCo, We couldn't tell the difference flying flat but have yet to time it on a course with flaggers and a stop watch. Techically we have more power than a Q40 but are also heavier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
So what kind of motor, battery, prop would I need to get near 150MPH on a plane around 2 lbs??? This is assuming straight watts needed for theoretical calculated pitch speed rpms/pitch..........
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
500-600 watts with a very clean airframe. You can do that with half the watts and half the weight/size but it makes things hard to see. Visit us in the High Performance discussions and you'll get hooked on something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:17 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Looks good Troy.

If your buddy can instrument his flight he can have the honors of being
the fastest electric in the books!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:50 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
I second Troys motion. The video tells the story but I'll bet that it is even more impressive watching and hearing in person. Go get'em Mark!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:08 AM
damn you tree!
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2005
231 Posts
that's very impressive.... how's the slow performance, or do they even go slow?? I may just be trying to make the wrong planes fast.... gws mostly...

keep that thing in one piece!

Robert
roballoba is offline Find More Posts by roballoba
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
Slow is a relative term... but once you bleed off speed and get it settled into an approach it slows down better than you would think. The problem is that the energy retention from the weight and sleek airframe means that if you drop the nose down, it keeps going and going and going. If there's a head wind, it makes life much easier.

oh, and Mark corrected my original post. The first motor system was 3000 watts, the last time we flew it in the desert and in the first video, it was closer to 4500 watts.
RCG Plus Member