HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:24 AM
GFX
Joined Feb 2002
18 Posts
Help!
Lipo Battery buying help needed--Where's best price???

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with where the best place is to order Lipo batteries. There seems to be intense competition and so many places to choose from. I really need help or I'm sure I'll end up paying so much that I'll have no money left for the heli and will have to hover my battery. =)
GFX is offline Find More Posts by GFX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Check out www.commonsenserc.com

I am using these with my brushless setup (two for $31, $15 each):

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=72

For better climbouts with the stock motor, etc, these are a lot lighter:

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=73

One note though, the balance connectors are backwards from E-flite, so if you use an e-flite charger, remember to swap the pins around in the battery connector (easy only takes a minute to do).
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
GFX
Joined Feb 2002
18 Posts
Thanx for the help Vic20. Will check it out for sure.

GFX
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
Thunder Power has best power to weight spec batteries with Hyperion and Dualsky coming on strong.

Thunderpower:
www.rctoys.com
www.combatwings.com
They match each others price and you get free shipping from Canada...........

Hyperion
www.aircraft-world.com
Slowly overtaking my Thunderpower inventory........

Dulasky
www.2dogrc.com
None yet, but well represented by people I trust and industry notables.....

If I lived on a pension budget and need to fly my geared brushed slostick for a half hour I would entertain www.commonsenserc.com batteries.....

I do like their digitial balance charger I own 2 with them getting more time than my 4 Shultze ISL630..........
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
439 Posts
I've found eBay the cheapest place by miles, especially if you're prepared to change the connectors from the ones provided to those you use (JST?).
websitedragon is offline Find More Posts by websitedragon
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
GFX
Joined Feb 2002
18 Posts
Thanx C/F!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:09 AM
GFX
Joined Feb 2002
18 Posts
Thanx WebDragon!
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:05 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
576 Posts
Quote:
One note though, the balance connectors are backwards from E-flite, so if you use an e-flite charger, remember to swap the pins around in the battery connector (easy only takes a minute to do).
The number one complaint that is expressed by Lipo users is the lack of uniformity of balance connectors used by the different Lipo manufacturers. So, we decided to change the wiring order of our connectors to match that of E-flite products. Even though we are drawing criticism from some customers, we feel strongly that in the long run, changes that benefit consumers ultimately are good for the hobby. We are hoping that those who are inconvenienced by this change will accept our offer of free reverse polarity adapters.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
mikekomm is offline Find More Posts by mikekomm
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomm
So, we decided to change the wiring order of our connectors to match that of E-flite products.
Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Very good move!

How about better support for JST connectors ? For example 7.4 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack #2S1250-10 (for eSky FP) and 11.1 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack
#3S1250-10 with JST connectors (for Blade and eSky CP) ?

Thanks,

Kamtsa
kamtsa is offline Find More Posts by kamtsa
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:23 PM
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner
Check out www.commonsenserc.com

When you swap the pins, be careful not to short them. Last week I damaged a new CS 7.4V1250ma by briefly shortening the pins while swapping pins. Had to get rid of it.

Kamtsa
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:44 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
576 Posts
Quote:
How about better support for JST connectors ? For example 7.4 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack #2S1250-10 (for eSky FP) and 11.1 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack
We offer JST connectors with wire leads that can be added to our packs.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/advance...dd8512&x=0&y=0

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
mikekomm is offline Find More Posts by mikekomm
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:54 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamtsa
V For example 7.4 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack #2S1250-10 (for eSky FP) and 11.1 volt - 1250mAh 10C Li-Poly Pack
Kamsta,

Those packs are really heavy for the FP! I've also flown the 3S packs on my CP2, and they are also heavy. You'll be surprised to find that dropping down to the 800 packs only reduces your flight time by about 10%, but the motors run cooler and the heli flies much better. Try it, you'll like it!

Incidentally, I agree that TP packs have the best capacity to weight ratio, but their price is certainly hard to digest. For low current draw applications like these micro helis, the CSRC batteries are an amazing value. I own several of their packs, and will no doubt buy more in the future.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Apr 08, 2007, 10:33 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Commonsense RC offers very high quality batteries, if it says it delivers X amps.. you can be sure that it does. Being in VT though makes ordering from CA tough because of time frame. Crazy at it may seem, I can get stuff from China faster than I can from most CA websites. If memory serves though Commonsense was very fast for a CA to VT order for me.

I hate to share secets for the best of the ultra cheap..because as soon as I do I can't get what I need.

but in the interest of helping so many that have helped me. I'd like to rec 2 batteries that have given me great performance outta my FP.

The FP can handle 3 cells, and really I think it flys so much better on them.. so here are 2 options that are not super heavy and provide great flights outta the FP.

The 1st is from Enerland it is an 850mah 3cell lipo which weighs 58 grams, this battery is a little snug in the canopy, but allows for great flight times, good control in wind, and excellent FF speeds. The price you ask.. $16.95! Order as many as you like, and shipping is $4.95
http://rclovers.com/index.htm

The 2nd battery is equally as good, I wish they had an 850mah version. It gives great flight times because it is super light.. and delivers the 15c it says it will. It is an 11.1v 620mah Hextronik. At 45g's the lighter weight gains you the time you lose from the lesser mah. Currently it is out of stock, but go ahead and backorder or you will probably never get em. The shipping is a bit higher from China, but I have several Hextronik batteries and they all deliver what they say. Read the reviews test one out, at $13.77, its hard to go wrong..
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2054
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Last edited by PLATINUM; Apr 08, 2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomm
We offer JST connectors with wire leads that can be added to our packs.
Yes, I know, they are available from many sources. I was talking about pre installed JST connectors, similar to the SuperSkids batteries.

BTW, does your #JST-1 come with PVC or silicon insulation?

Kamsta
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:30 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I am pretty sure that JST is not ideal in higher amp applications.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM