HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:54 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2 Posts
Discussion
Power Switch for 4 in 1

Has anyone put a power switch on their 4 in 1? how would you go about doing this? Every other speed controller I've had has a separate power switch which is much more convenient than unplugging the battery all the time.

What amperage switch would you need to use to switch the battery power into the 4 in 1 or is there a way to switch the unit on and off right on the circuit board?
Epanek is offline Find More Posts by Epanek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:09 AM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
I think a switch is a bit overkill for these helis.

However, if I were to do it, I'd use a simple 2-way switch and solder it between the battery connector and the 4-in-1. Just clip the red wire and solder the switch in.

You could also wire the switch between the 4-in-1 and the motor if you are worried about accidentally triggering the throttle.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:07 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanek
is there a way to switch the unit on and off right on the circuit board?
Yes, buy a Hirobo XRB SR Lama
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
I've seen this question a couple times. If you read the manual on the esc with switches almost every one will tell you you must unplug the battery to keep it from getting drained. They generally don't stop the consumption of power but only minimalize it. so if you forget to unplug you may be replacing your pack if Lipo (many sad stories of this). I'd be interested in seeing a single ESC with an on/off switch vice "safety" or "arming" switch, as I can think of none. The XRB may be one I have no experience with them.

It is generally considered unsafe to use a switch any way, as they can easily be inadvertantly turned on. There are some uses like in scale models where they are an additional safety while fitting the final section of fuz and carrying to the line etc, though most just make a way to get at the plugs easily with the body ready to fly.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was actually refering to ESC's on RC cars, all the ones I've had came with a power on off switch, I just found it strange this heli doesn't have one.

If I did put a switch on the main power lead what would be a safe amperage switch to use?
Epanek is offline Find More Posts by Epanek
Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:12 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Depends on the heli. Look at the mah rating of your batt and then the rated discharge rate. A 3-Cell, 1000mah battery with 20C discharge would produce a maximum of 20 amps.

Right?
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical