Closed Thread
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:05 AM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
Discussion
Sheldon's Hobbies 20% off sale

Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose, Ca, is moving to ????? Supposedly 20% off everything in the store while it lasts. Locals may have more info than me, I'm in the Northeast Bay Area. Chris
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:43 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkenbach
Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose, Ca, is moving to ????? Supposedly 20% off everything in the store while it lasts. Locals may have more info than me, I'm in the Northeast Bay Area. Chris
I live right by there. Last I heard they were moving down to Brokaw Road only a few miles away. They have(or maybe had) a lot of hard to find old balsa kits. All of the old Clancy Aviation kits are now gone, though
ob1knob is offline Find More Posts by ob1knob
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:12 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
Ob1,
I sent ya a PM.

Kyle
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:03 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,097 Posts
Anyone remember when they were located on Alum Rock? I loved going into that cramped little shop and finding lots of sailplane kits back in the mid-70's. Great people there, great memories.
(sniff, sniff)

gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:29 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I liked the older shop the best. As stated, it was small and cramped. But the staff was friendly (including the owner) and there was always a something new and a bargain to be had.
I purchased my first JR radio there. Went in to buy a top of the line Kraft. I had been using Kraft for years but the quality was slipping. Ron talked me into purchasing the then new Jr even though the transmitter looked kind of Buck Rogers. I used that radio at many pattern contest with never a glitch. And all the switchs! wowed me. Still have it plus all the new JR stuff.

But after the move to the 'modern' building Ron and some of the staff were sometimes hard to talk with. Perhaps because they were fairly heavy into their catalog sales. Whatever.
They did always have the Mack's headers and Atorie (Sp?) pipes I wanted. Then they quit stocking many of the products I used. And the air in that city burned my eyes. I quit taking the long drive and found a large well stocked hobby shop in Sacramento.

I have not found a good hobby shop near my new location. So lots of mail-order.

Yes, I also have fond memories of the old Sheldons.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:20 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble with Sheldon's website? I get on, and all it shows is the 20% off picture, but I can not figure out how to browse or order anything.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
755 Posts
The have the online shop disabled during the move.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
They have their phones set to an auto answering machine as well, can't even leave a message.

Kyle
Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Yea, great sale.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:51 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mode1
I liked the older shop the best. As stated, it was small and cramped. But the staff was friendly (including the owner) and there was always a something new and a bargain to be had.
I purchased my first JR radio there. Went in to buy a top of the line Kraft. I had been using Kraft for years but the quality was slipping. Ron talked me into purchasing the then new Jr even though the transmitter looked kind of Buck Rogers. I used that radio at many pattern contest with never a glitch. And all the switchs! wowed me. Still have it plus all the new JR stuff.

But after the move to the 'modern' building Ron and some of the staff were sometimes hard to talk with. Perhaps because they were fairly heavy into their catalog sales. Whatever.
They did always have the Mack's headers and Atorie (Sp?) pipes I wanted. Then they quit stocking many of the products I used. And the air in that city burned my eyes. I quit taking the long drive and found a large well stocked hobby shop in Sacramento.

I have not found a good hobby shop near my new location. So lots of mail-order.

Yes, I also have fond memories of the old Sheldons.
Hey, they've been pretty friendly lately - at least when I go in there on the weekends. I haven't seen any grouchy old farts behind the counter in over a year.
ob1knob is offline Find More Posts by ob1knob
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
I just picked up a World Models Zero G.S., with 20% off, can't beat that. Plus i got a free drop tank, it was cracked and the guy didn't want it. When it comes to costumer service, i'll say i'm definitely not impressed, but they do have a huge selection of planes. Thanx for the hook-up ob1knob.

Kyle
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:41 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,075 Posts
I deal with Ron (Sheldon) quite often. Great guy with top-notch service. He gets a chunk o my money every month

Brian
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:49 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
I've only been their 5 times, never met Ron. Like i said, the customer service i received wasn't top notch, but not so bad that i wouldn't go back and buy some expensive airplanes I really like shopping at Aeromicro, nice guys and gal over there.

Kyle
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
The store is still open?
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,940 Posts
As of yesterday they were, i'm pretty sure they will be open until they move early next year.

Kyle
Closed Thread