SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2007, 04:58 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi Boyd,

thanks
As we work as woll on the 1/6 it's a lot of work witht he Dragonus and all the stuff . But we keep on going ...

BEst regards,
Fabien
Bricobrac is offline Find More Posts by Bricobrac
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi Guys,

ok now transmission is sorted out for the tail. I have modified the fuse so that the optionnal long boom + optionnal 472MXL belt is perfect for fitting the tail gearbox.
Real heli is counter closkwise rotation for main rotor, so the tail is at the other side.
Well i simply inverted the aluminium gearbox and i'll have the arm upside down, then i'll make a small gearbox to fit more scale like with a 4 blades tail hub.

Actually the Dragonus mechanics fits really fine and there is plenty of space available, i'll make the roof mechanics frames here about 2 monthes to allow the scale rear interior.

Landing gears are OK and stepwalks as well. Antena will be soon made as well and then only a few details will be remaining.

I plan to make a FG model and a Vacuum formed one maybe.

BEst regards,
Fabien

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Continues to improve with every report. Can't wait for this bad boy to be available. Keep up the good work Fabien.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:18 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi Guys,

sooooooooooooo things are going fast now .

To put you in the " bath", here is already a picture of Big Daddy at 1/5 scale, this is the " old" master that i painted this week end for fun to have an overview of the paintscheme i would do for our presentation model.
BY the way, never put too much thinner in the metallic grey when you want to make a Kandy red.. Do not ask why lol !!!!

Now about the Dragonus fuse, here are a few more details.

1) The fiberglass versions will be made with Basalte Fiber certainly. It is high temperature resistant ( over 1450, good for lipo fire lol) , it is lighter than fiberglass but less expensive than carbon.. BUt i'll look after carbon anyway .

2) VErsions: there will be 2 fiberglass ( basalte-glass ?) versions: one for the ROof- X Mechs, wich will have ALL doors openings including the rear medical ones. Normal, full interior will be scale.. The standard version will " only" have the front door opening with the front scale cokpit. A magnet removable plate will hide the rear cokpit and user can put black or tinted tape on the rear windows to hide the mechs.

3) Roof-X: what is it? Well.... When it will be revealed to the market then you will know. I would not post any pics of it as long as it is not available, i would like to sell a few ones before being copied )). Boyd anyway will have one for testing a few weks after he will receive the fuses to test.

4) Interiors: they will be available as options. The cokpit parts molds will be machined with our new toy, a Roland MDX 540 SA cnc milling machine for quick CNC prototyping. I'll make it die before the end of the warranty i'm sure hehehee...

5) Fins: we will provide balsa with thin layer of fiberglass parts, but at the correct scale. Only the horizontal fin ( the horizontal part of it) will be fiberglass to respect the negative tip. Then balsa will allow easy fix and light mount. We will provide as well the PDF files to make your owns in case of little hard landing in an unconventionnal direction....

6) Landing gears.. They will have made us suffer a lot... To make them scale. Hope teh result will please

7) Multibladed rotorheads and tail rotors: David will make miracles on this from the horribe basic cads i'll send to him

8) Paintschemes: we will provide a custom paintjob service. All we ask before making a paintscheme that already exist ( will be hard on the 429 as there are very few in the world actuallly..) is that you proviude us a certificate from the real aircraft owner that authorize to reproduce the paintscheme. We have to do this, because we are fully licensed by Bell Helicotpers and we would like to stay licensed as long as possible)))))

9) Price: that is the question. I just can't say for the moment, as i woudl not like to give a false idea ( more or less expensive) than the final thing.

10) Beginners versions: yes, we think about it, and we will certainly release some cheaper versions as well for beginners who would not like to kill a big buck fuse but who want their heli to be scale like.

Picture now of " Big daddy"

BEst regards,
Fabien

Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
WOW !! Can not wait for these items to hit the market. The demand for true scale in the Dragonus/T-Rex size helicopters is great and this will be the first effort that truly addresses this demand. Great work Fabien and thanks for sharing the pics.

Regards - Boyd
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
"Miracles" :-)
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:31 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
looks very very interesting, waiting to see more.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old May 01, 2007, 04:32 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
I now have on my desk a 3D printed ABS 4 blade scale rotor head assembly. I cannot show you yet, but all I can say is that it is wicked (very cool ) ;-).

I've been starring at it in CAD for soooo long, it's very very cool to actually hold it and mount it to the mainshaft.

This has been a very slow process, but in the end it will all be worth the wait.

David Cook
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old May 01, 2007, 04:54 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hehe

we do NOT show anything now until it's in production
David made a really cool work, now it's up to me and Aldric to work on the maths about delta angles, flexions and lenght of shafts..
Brrrrrrrr.. ANd the worse, the special blades )))))

More news when it will be flying and available

BEst regards,

Fabien
Old May 01, 2007, 05:11 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Fabian, is this a part time project?
I am curious as to why it takes 6 months to get anywhere and it still doesnt sound close or maybe it is just that much work.

(please note i am not being nasty, just interested)

edit

Superdave sorted me out
Last edited by ozace; May 01, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 09, 2007, 06:48 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi,

after long work on the mounting system for the mechanics ( that is why it was so long ), here is our pooooor cobaye/ prototype fuse.
We start the production molds manufacturing end of next week.

Sorry for the bad lookin gof the fuse, but i had to sand / glue / unglue / paint/ unpaint.... an lot before having the mouting system as i wanted it ( 4 screws and you are done, after mounting long tail boom and long belt, just remove tail gearbox, landing gears, fit the mechanics on the tray, 4 srews, remoung tail gearbox and you are ready to fly

Best regards,

Fabien
PS: 'ill give a quick spray job to the fuse to make a few flight pics and videos.

Old May 09, 2007, 07:21 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Absolutely awesome Fabien.

Can't wait to get one of these in the air.
Old May 10, 2007, 12:55 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
That looks amazing.
i cant believe how much work goes into this stuff, its not something i ever thought about untilo i started following this thread.

Looking forward to seeing more and Boyds build
Old Jul 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi Guys,

news coming quite son now ))))

SOrry for having been long, but lot of work on the Dragonus and we got a deadline to next week to finnish 4 x 1/4,5 scale Bell 429 so we got a bunch of work.. As soona s they are finnished, the mini Bell 429 will get in the air

BEst regards,

Fabien
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Just keep the pics comming , i love looking at these things.

1/4.5 scale, is that a brian simpson turbine thing ?