10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricobrac View Post
Hi Boyd,

the fuselage, as it is, is designed for 5 things:

- A2Pro Excellium 500
- Trex 500 and clones
- Atom 500
- E-Copter / A2pro ( me and Superdave420) SSE mechanics ( Simple Scale Electric)

For the SSE, i'll show pictures of it right after Nuremberg.

For Duzi R5, you just need to fit a 2mm carbon plate right over the rear doors top line and glue it with epoxy resin ( slow cure if you want a good resistante) and a few carbon meshes inside. Then you need to build simple aluminium supports and use a longer main mast and lenghten the rods.

Best regards,

Fabien
Looking forward to these intriguing goodies Fabien. And at last a scale wrapper for my Duzi R5 Nova. These mechanics are so low profile that they should allow a full scale cabin in the 429.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi,

yes, the R5 mechanics fits perfectly and let the complete room for Cokpit.

you will need tuned blade grips (for the blades thickness) and you will need specific motor/ gear ratio as we are climbing from 450 / 460 to 500 class.

BEst regards,

Fabien
Bricobrac is offline Find More Posts by Bricobrac
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:53 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi,

as i'm preparing a fuselage for Nuremberg show in Februar for A2Pro, i thought it would be helpful for scale beginers to share a few "how to" .

This can ( i hope..) be of some help when you buy a market fuselage to build ( like a Vario fuse for example), these instructions are showing the way i do it and there are many other ways.

I will put pictures each time i make something new on the fuse as i work on that one on evenings only on my spare time.

First of all, you need the following to work into good conditions:

A clean and well ventilated area (most important). Do not hesitate to put some plastic covers, it's easier to remove them than to remove dust from everything that was not covered... A dust mask, that is VERY important. Fine plastic gloves ( when using solvents, use relevant gloves. Eyes protections !!!

Tooling: your hands, sand paper with different grades ( 240, 400, 800, 1200), mastic, primer and dremel with cutting disc ( the vario one is wuite good) and grinding wheel + small lanual nails. You also need some liner tape, 3 or 4 millimeters, depending on the width you wish on windows area.

Ok, here we go

We got here a fresh fuse out of the plug . Here, it's a small Bell 429 at 1/12 scale.

Before starting, clean the fuselage with dish soap and let it dry, this will allow the tape to glue correctly ( there are sometimes wax residues on the fuses)

First step will be to cut some squares in the windows with the dremel to be able to fit the grinding wheel. No picture needed for that, it's quite simple..

Then, in order to have some clean windows cut areas, use some 3mm tape liner (here i used Oraline but 3M liner is very good for curves), that will follow the lines of the windows marks.

Then, use the grind wheel on the dremel to come close to the tape, leaving a very small ( 1mm or less) amount of viewable material

Here are one small and one large grinding wheel ( i do not know the exact name in english, sorry...)

You will notice that if you use the large one ( grind wheel) it will be hard to have small rounds in the corners. It is anyway easier to start with the large one to make straighter lines and then make the finnish with the small one in the corners.

Now, using 180 or 240 sandpaper ( use a thick one, this will prevent to have the fingers making corners in the hardware when applying small pressure), reduce the small edges you created when using the dremel (that is why it was needed to leave a little hardware) to get some nice lines.

Repeat from the first step for all windows or openings you need. Example for lining the cokpit windows :

Once done, you will have the base of the next step work:

IN all cases, always take your time, never try to make something quick. If you feel your hand is a bit shaking, stop for a few minutes, do something else and come back when you feel Ok. It's important to always try to have the fuselage and your arm "locked" on a stable surface , do not hesitate to lock the fuse on a surface and use one hand to run the dremel and the other one on the fuselage to guide that hand. This will absorb the small vibrations of the grinding tool (no or less gelcoat mini cracks) and this will allow to avoid the grinding wheel to rip on all an area of the fuselage if the tool gets a bit stuck in a corner for example as your other hand will prevent the dremel to drive you where it wants...

I'll try to make a short video during the week end with a fiberglass part to show the things you can do and the ones you shall not do ( these ones finnish generally by a big " F...k" once you drawed a wonderfull line on all the fuselage side :laugh:

That's all for today, tomorrow we go for the fine lines reworking and the fuselage closing / opening systems.

BEst regards,

Fabien

PS: a copy of these instructions are put on another website / forum so do not worry if you see it.. twice
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:25 PM
Ben429
Sainte-Sophie Quebec Canada
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Hi Fabien i know pretty well the Bell 429 since i'm part of Bell helicopter 429 experimental project as a mechanics since the first prototype i'm starting in heli hobby (i was in the r/c airplane 15 years ago) it,s amazing what you do i'm impress about all the detail on the 429 fuselage cant we buy some 450 size 500 size 600 size raptor 30 or 50 size ???
ben429 is offline Find More Posts by ben429
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:51 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi Ben,

thanks for your message.

I have closed my Company E-Copter after stopping my subcontracting work with A2PRO in march. I have opened a new company, Gryphon, representing Gryphon Korea in Europe.
In a few words, i took 4 years of work and scrapped it to the trashcan

But i still have the #1 scale fuse mokeup for 500 class helicopter, a Trex 500 will fit inside. I made it with Avior colors as i was supposed to make some minuature for them right before i closed E-Copter ( it's a quick paint scheme to have a look at how it would be), and i can ship it to you for free (only shippingfees). You will need to make the landing gears and mechaics support and the doors lines are not perfect, but it looks really sexy anyway

I know that A2PRO will come up with a complete set in a few weeks / month ? i have not more infos about this, but at least they hopefully can do something with the mold we designed with Oscar Llinares in France.
If you like precisionj work, i can give you also a 1/32 profile fuse and it's accessories (landing gears, wings, main rotor..) to prepare and paint.

Only thing i would ask you, is if you are not too far away from Avior in Canada, if you could show it to them once it will fly, i would really appreciate : )

The 1/4 scale one, i gave the mold to a passionated guy in France who will make one unique model for himself, we will make 2 fuses and the second fuse will be fully equipped for static display and i'll ship it then ( it's a 2 years thing from the time i'll have the fuse) to BEll Textron .

BEst regards,

Fabien

PS: i'll take a picture of the fuse for you tomorrow night, it's in the ceilar and i was about to head to bed lol !
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ben429
Sainte-Sophie Quebec Canada
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
that would be very nice and apreciated i've been working for Bell for 22 years and the 429 is my baby i,m really dedicated to this model and even after all those year i'm still passion about helicopter and about avior canada there two plant one is in Laval wich is about 30 km from where i lived and the other one is in granby and they do some composite sub assembly for us that will be a pleasure to show them the 429 completed andfor the next reply feel free to make it in french if you want doesn't make difference for me good night and thanks again
ben429 is offline Find More Posts by ben429