HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:41 AM
Pontiac/Auburn Hills, Michigan USA
Joined Mar 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye 125 View Post
Well, well... This comes straight from the Skyartec USA website http://skyartec-usa.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=287]:.... the plane uses EPS technique for the airframe in order to achieve both smooth surface and best dynamic material properties. .....My pierced dime, just to stir up trouble...
No problem; we had left that statement as it was from the factory. To be direct the factory is not releasing their technique and it is surely not Expanded foam. It must be extruded some how; the director of the factory is keeping the exact type and process to himself

The foam finish is so smooth that trade attendees at the IHobby show, where we had a booth, found it hard to believe it was really foam and not molded plastic. Smooth as it comes, but very durable.
I changed the phase to " EPO like technique" as I still haven't decided exactly how to describe it.

Glad you mentioned this distinction

Max
skyartec-usa is offline Find More Posts by skyartec-usa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:56 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffie View Post
Just read this thread and the one on Watt Flyer.

Most of the comments seem to be about a model other than the ST one this thread is about. The ST Cessna is brushless, made of EPO completely, has scale fowler flaps, lights and flies really well. Power is very very good using a 3S Li-Po of 1600mAh although it will take a 2100 as well. The landing light is very visible and the scale, sprung noseleg works great. The main undercarriage is aluminium and been fine on my grass field. It's off the ground in a few feet anyway!

It is absolutely nothing like the EPS cheapo stuff like Skyartec or similar. If your model has a brushed motor and not EPO it is not ST!
Hey! Lets see if we can drag this thread back on topic

Well, almost. I bought myself an ST Models Fox and I'm very impressed by it, apart from the motor and prop (and possibly the ESC), which I'll be replacing. It's EPO and very sleek. It might not be stiff enough for windy days but it's a very nice looking plane, and very well put together, unlike the Parkzone PNP Trojan and Stryker I bought recently (nice designs, hastily thrown together with a mastic gun full of bathroom sealant and a roll of sticky tape, that basically needed turning back into a kit and rebuilding).

I'd be interested to hear more about the ST Models Cessna 182.

As Tiffle pointed out, very little has been said about it in this thread, just a lot of stuff about other Cessna 182s. I've nothing against people being off topic, or vendors promoting their own plane instead, but it would be nice to learn more about the actual subject of the thread

I paid 90 for my ST Fox (described as ARTF but basically PNP / receiver ready) and I think it was a very good deal. I haven't flown it yet because the stock prop was unbalanced (so much so, I don't want to try full throttle for long enough to measure rpm) and it seems too much prop for the motor. I'm guessing an 8x6 would be a better choice than the stock 10x6. It is brushless though, and suits a radial mount motor like the Tower Pro 2409-18, which is what I'll be trying in it.

A brushless Cessna 182 with flaps sounds interesting. I noticed them when I was looking for a good price for the Fox but I didn't realise they had working flaps. This ad gives more details than most I've seen:

http://www.allelectricrc.co.uk/st-mo...ale-1698-p.asp

My only real reservation is the single servo for ailerons. I'd far rather have one servo per aileron. Can anyone show a picture of the aileron servo so we can see how easy it would be to replace with two servos? Anytihng can be hacked, but there's a limit to how much I'd want to hack a scale looking PNP or RTF plane.

I'd be interested to know the details of the stock motor too, and how easy it is to replace - because I'd expect to want to.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No