HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:53 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Did you get it to fly yet?

I'm considering buying one but I just read a thread on Wattflyer forums about it being very underpowered, and rather nose heavy. I was wondering how easy it would be to convert to a brushless setup - which could cure both of those problems. Is the motor stick mounted, or just fitted in a hole the right size?

Are the struts really necessary? It sounds like there may be a case for leaving them off, unless the wing would wobble.

Is it difficult to separate the two halves of the fuselage?

I bought a CC Lee 2 channel bang-bang controlled cheapo Cessna model, just out of curiosity, and to see if I could convert it to proper R/C for indoor flying. I haven't dismantled it yet, but the shell is a top and bottom half, like you describe. It looks like it might just be held together by the decals on the sides... or they might have glued it.

Maybe it would be better to hold the fuselage together with low tack masking tape on the outside? The glue on the cheap stuff tends to set harder after a while, of course. Perhaps the area where the tape goes could be coated with something, like a thin layer of epoxy or CA, so the tape could be pulled off more easily?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:07 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No
Did you get it to fly yet?

I'm considering buying one but I just read a thread on Wattflyer forums about it being very underpowered, and rather nose heavy. I was wondering how easy it would be to convert to a brushless setup - which could cure both of those problems. Is the motor stick mounted, or just fitted in a hole the right size?

Are the struts really necessary? It sounds like there may be a case for leaving them off, unless the wing would wobble.

Is it difficult to separate the two halves of the fuselage?

I bought a CC Lee 2 channel bang-bang controlled cheapo Cessna model, just out of curiosity, and to see if I could convert it to proper R/C for indoor flying. I haven't dismantled it yet, but the shell is a top and bottom half, like you describe. It looks like it might just be held together by the decals on the sides... or they might have glued it.

Maybe it would be better to hold the fuselage together with low tack masking tape on the outside? The glue on the cheap stuff tends to set harder after a while, of course. Perhaps the area where the tape goes could be coated with something, like a thin layer of epoxy or CA, so the tape could be pulled off more easily?
In all honesty it is not really underpowered. It flies OK, but no power house. The motor mount is sad as it is simply glued in place. A lot of work to make brushless.

If I were to do it again I would definitely NOT this one. I would get the Horizon Hobby E-Flight Cessna 182 with the Brushless motor (I have one also). Far Better construction, cheaper and more power than you could imagine.

I hope that helps.

SWR
ShokWaveRider is online now Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:34 PM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Thanks, it does.

Point taken. Buying a model just because it's cheap isn't always such a good idea
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Dr Kiwi's Avatar
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
But you learned a lot!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:18 AM
Registered User
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Just read this thread and the one on Watt Flyer.

Most of the comments seem to be about a model other than the ST one this thread is about. The ST Cessna is brushless, made of EPO completely, has scale fowler flaps, lights and flies really well. Power is very very good using a 3S Li-Po of 1600mAh although it will take a 2100 as well. The landing light is very visible and the scale, sprung noseleg works great. The main undercarriage is aluminium and been fine on my grass field. It's off the ground in a few feet anyway!

It is absolutely nothing like the EPS cheapo stuff like Skyartec or similar. If your model has a brushed motor and not EPO it is not ST!
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Pontiac/Auburn Hills, Michigan USA
Joined Mar 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffie
Just read this thread and the one on Watt Flyer.

Most of the comments seem to be about a model other than the ST one this thread is about. The ST Cessna is brushless, made of EPO completely, has scale fowler flaps, lights and flies really well. Power is very very good using a 3S Li-Po of 1600mAh although it will take a 2100 as well. The landing light is very visible and the scale, sprung noseleg works great. The main undercarriage is aluminium and been fine on my grass field. It's off the ground in a few feet anyway!

It is absolutely nothing like the EPS cheapo stuff like Skyartec or similar. If your model has a brushed motor and not EPO it is not ST!
I agree the ST Cessna is a fine ship. I just want to correct your statement about the material the Skyartec is made from. Skyartec uses EPO foam. Thousands of these planes have been sold and we get raves from the buyers who have very kind words of praise about our Skyartec Cessna 182. Most are sold as RTF, however ARF and Kit is available at quite a good street price.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com www.skyartec-usa.com
skyartec-usa is offline Find More Posts by skyartec-usa
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:46 PM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
I'm still wondering which was being reviewed at the start of this thread. I'm trying to resist buying more planes at the moment, but I'm still curious.

Dr Kiwi, you were right. I did learn a lot from converting that 2 channel Cessna, even though it never flew - it just nose dived and broke, got repaired then did it again It's all part of the experience though. It has flown in later incarnations with different wings - first a Cessna biplane, then one with an 80cm EPP wing - never very well though. Maybe I'll get it right it in the end. I might have another go at it this summer...

Correction: I bought a Cub and a Cessna. It was the Cub I converted. The Cessna is still in its box.

I've seen a very nice looking RTF brushless Cessna being flown but I don't know if it was an ST one.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffie
Just read this thread and the one on Watt Flyer.

Most of the comments seem to be about a model other than the ST one this thread is about. The ST Cessna is brushless, made of EPO completely, has scale fowler flaps, lights and flies really well. Power is very very good using a 3S Li-Po of 1600mAh although it will take a 2100 as well. The landing light is very visible and the scale, sprung noseleg works great. The main undercarriage is aluminium and been fine on my grass field. It's off the ground in a few feet anyway!

It is absolutely nothing like the EPS cheapo stuff like Skyartec or similar. If your model has a brushed motor and not EPO it is not ST!
Perhaps the original ST 182 was brushed, EPS, etc. The current ST Cessna is like the one you describe, and is almost the same plane as the new Flyzone 182. So wasn't the original ST 182 brushed, like the original Flyzone 182?

BTW, why does the Skyartec 182 look just like the one at Parkflyers, which says Artec on it?
Brian_ is online now Find More Posts by Brian_
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:33 PM
Off we go.............
SabreHawk's Avatar
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well I have yet to find this ST Cessna at Hobby Lobby, and I've looked through all the planes they have. In fact ST Model does not even appear in the brand list.

So whats up with this thread?
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:54 PM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Check the dates - before today, the last post was over 2 years ago
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:32 AM
Off we go.............
SabreHawk's Avatar
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well good grief then, what is it with these people then who drag up moth eaten threads from the basement?

Dont say it, I know..........
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Here you go
Brian_ is online now Find More Posts by Brian_
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:20 AM
Registered User
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
I think the ST Cessna is re-branded and sold by Great Planes as an exclusive. That's why it is not on the Hobby Lobby site. Not 100% on that though.
i love the scale lights set that is fitted to the ST Cessna. That landing light is very visib le, even in bright daylight. Evening flying is very cool!!

I don't look at the date on threads, I just look at what's written once I've found it. I just look around for things that interest me and read them. If i read every thread when they started I'd never get to fly!! Just like to make the odd comment when i feel like it really.
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:37 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
I do look at the dates, but I don't let that stop me from posting Most of the really active threads are about things that came out recently, understandably, or about things that are popular but could stand some modification. I guess if something is a really good design, the threads for it die out almost immediately.

Some planes are a bit of a minority sport and it's hard to find out much about them. In that case, it's well worth asking people that know about them, even if they haven't said a word on the subject in a few years. I've briefly disturbed the slumber of a couple of really old threads about planes I bought secondhand, to ask the basics like where should it balance, and what should the throws be.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
Registered User
Milano, Italy
Joined Nov 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec-usa View Post
[...] I just want to correct your statement about the material the Skyartec is made from. Skyartec uses EPO foam. Thousands of these planes have been sold [...]
Well, well... This comes straight from the Skyartec USA website http://skyartec-usa.com/product_info...oducts_id=287]:

«This 5CH SKYARTEC CESSNA 182 is different from others. This Cessna is equipped with 4 servos not 3 servos as is common. It includes everything the beginner needs. Servos and steering levers are mounted and the airplane could be ready for flight within 20 minutes to an hour. Furthermore, the plane uses EPS technique for the airframe in order to achieve both smooth surface and best dynamic material properties. The model has a Steerable front wheel and uses two servos mounted directly to the main wing roll rudders and the tail wing.».

My pierced dime, just to stir up trouble...
Rallye 125 is offline Find More Posts by Rallye 125
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Hobby Lobby All-Wood Cessna 172 ARF Review Allan Wright Scale ARF/RTF 377 Jul 08, 2012 03:19 AM
Question ST Models Cessna 182 elsyr Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Apr 17, 2008 12:58 AM
New Product New Hobby-Lobby almost RTF Cessna 182 shschon Parkflyers 7 May 19, 2006 11:43 PM
Article Hobby Lobby Simfly Electric Pylon-Racer-Style ARF Review spaulj Electric Plane Talk 0 Feb 20, 2005 01:00 AM
T-52, Hobby Lobby "All Metal Gearbox", 10x6 Folding Prop (Mini-Review) thelocust Foamies (Kits) 0 Jun 05, 2001 03:43 PM