Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:31 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Lobby ST Models Cessna 182 Aeleron ARF. (Mini Review)

Hi All:

My first plane after 20 years out of the hobby. Perhaps not the best first plane, but certainly a good price point to take the plunge. I also got their Jetti ESC/BEC, figured it could die with the model.

It is the Hobby Lobby =====>

ST Model "Cessna 182" ARF RC Model Airplane

My logic is as follows, (Whether good or bad).

1) It was cheap and I would not loose (too much) sleep if it dies a horrible mashed up death.

2) I am an Engineer so I am sure I can figure out the misgivings, ChingLish etc.

3) It was pretty much an all inclusive kit bar radio, so I do not have to damage the servos that came with my new good radio.

4) It did not look too bad in the photos. It was a toss up between this and the SkyMaster. I read a lot of bad things about the Skymaster and fewer bad things about the ST 182.

5) I can pretty much take off, fly and land almost all Aircraft, Beginner and Expert on AeroFLY Pro Deluxe after a lot of practice.

6) The Battery does not last a long time so less time to crash it!

Seriously. I thought it would be a good little starter for a clam day, along with the challenges of setup and stuff. I could not find a lot written about it. It was not for want of asking. I did read that the CG was not clear in the all but excuse for a manual. So if anyone has one and can help please let me know. If it lasts I will replace the battery and re-inforce the motor mount or put a brushless in it. If it does not last.. Oh Well!

Any comments would be appreciated. If anyone has a way of selecting a brushless motor/esc combination for this could you please let me know.

Thanks as always for all your support,

SWR
ShokWaveRider is offline Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Nov 16, 2006 at 08:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
If they haven't shipped it yet ask them to also include an extra 10 props.

Don't ROG for your first flights. Use extremely small control inputs... much smaller than you would in the sim. Once you get the feel for the plane and it's at 100-200 feet then you can actually fly it.

A BPHobbies 21 CD-ROM motor will with an 11.1v battery and an 8x4 prop will give you a good amount of thrust and speed. Mounting it is going to be a pain though.
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Also, another tip, whatever you hear the CG is supposed to be, move it about 5-10mm forward for your first flights. It's much better to be slightly nose heavy than slightly tail heavy.

Being slightly nose heavy will make the plane a little more stable in the air, especially at slow speeds.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 02:20 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I wouldn't suggest an aileron plane as your first after 20 years, you should really go for something a lot easier to fly/ more stable to begin with. That looks like a very suitable 2nd plane, but you really should look at something like the Slow Stick or Wing Dragon to get yourself reacquainted with flying. Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The L
If they haven't shipped it yet ask them to also include an extra 10 props.

Don't ROG for your first flights. Use extremely small control inputs... much smaller than you would in the sim. Once you get the feel for the plane and it's at 100-200 feet then you can actually fly it.

A BPHobbies 21 CD-ROM motor will with an 11.1v battery and an 8x4 prop will give you a good amount of thrust and speed. Mounting it is going to be a pain though.
Are you saying adjust the throws less that what it is shipped, maybe I should use a 50% Dual Rate on my radio for the Ailerons and elevator?

Thanks for all the great advice. Do you have one?

What are the props on the plane? Anyone Know? The stock ones are probably cheap c#@p, so I may buy some better props.

How do I go about selecting a Brushless motor that can handle the plane at 3/4 throttle or less? Is there a general formula for selecting one?

Such as: Model Weight x 1.5 = Brushless Thrust. I am sure an 8x4 prop would be ample with about 1700 odd KV. Can someone suggest a general motor type as opposed to a specific motor?

Queston, questions, questions and I only ordered it today.

SWR
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Nov 14, 2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:32 AM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Nope, I don't have that one, however I have one that looks just like it, has the same battery hatch, same almost-but-not-quite scale landing gear, etc. The prop that came with mine was a 7x4.

I have a feeling the one on Hobby-Lobby's site is just a rebrand of the one I have.

You could use Dual Rates, that would probably be safer than just moving the control stick less than you expect to need.

An 8x4 prop with a 1700kv motor on an 11.1v lipo would definitely be enough for a 16 oz model. I stuck a BP21 CD-ROM brushless motor (I think it's about 1500kv) with an 8.4v NiMH battery on mine. After crashing for having the CG too far back I fixed it (the damage was minimal, but I broke the prop). It climbed well at full throttle and had a decent amount of speed. I'm going to guesstimate about 40 mph straight level flight. If you flew 20 years ago you were probably flying glow planes so I don't know what "fast" is for those, but for an electric park flyer 40 mph is more than enough. It climbed quite well too.

I don't know of a formula for selecting one. The prop pitch speed should be about how fast your model will fly, minus a few mph because your airframe isn't 100% efficient. You can generally climb vertically or at a very steep angle if you have at least 1.2x the thrust of your weight.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:51 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The L
Nope, I don't have that one, however I have one that looks just like it, has the same battery hatch, same almost-but-not-quite scale landing gear, etc. The prop that came with mine was a 7x4.

I have a feeling the one on Hobby-Lobby's site is just a rebrand of the one I have.

You could use Dual Rates, that would probably be safer than just moving the control stick less than you expect to need.

An 8x4 prop with a 1700kv motor on an 11.1v lipo would definitely be enough for a 16 oz model. I stuck a BP21 CD-ROM brushless motor (I think it's about 1500kv) with an 8.4v NiMH battery on mine. After crashing for having the CG too far back I fixed it (the damage was minimal, but I broke the prop). It climbed well at full throttle and had a decent amount of speed. I'm going to guesstimate about 40 mph straight level flight. If you flew 20 years ago you were probably flying glow planes so I don't know what "fast" is for those, but for an electric park flyer 40 mph is more than enough. It climbed quite well too.

I don't know of a formula for selecting one. The prop pitch speed should be about how fast your model will fly, minus a few mph because your airframe isn't 100% efficient. You can generally climb vertically or at a very steep angle if you have at least 1.2x the thrust of your weight.
The HL Cessna is 28oz not 16.

SWR
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Well it arrived today.... Yippee. And you know what? It is not as bad as I thought it might be.

It took me about an hour to build it (Put it together). The battery is currently (excuse the pun) on charge. It is a 9 cell AA NiMH 650ma Pack.

There was no damage at all. It is very well packed and quite a solid little model overall. Especially once you get the wing struts on. I had to bend the undercarriage a little to get it straight but nothing major.

The detailing is not so hot, but that will come off eventually and if it is still in one piece I will paint it and replace the foam underwing sections with blasa sheet. Actually it looks petty good hanging from the ceiling.

No Glue needed really (Although they recommend Gluing the wings together), trial an error on the rudder and elevator servo connectors but no biggie. CG is 1/3 wing area back, but it is pretty close out of the box. I called HL and asked they were VERY helpful.

Both the wing servos are glued in with a clear flexible compound, anyone know what it is? It is not silicone in fact it is a little more pliable than silicone and soft to a prod with a screw driver. It is a clear caulk of some kind but who knows what?

Anyway it is well worth the money I think especially if it flies! And it is still on sale.

I have to say the props are a lot more to be desired. They give you 3 of them all 3 are pretty poor. I will most likely replace them.

SWR
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Nov 17, 2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I have to say the props are absolute crap. They give you 3 of them all 3 are crap. I will most likely replace them.

SWR
Hi Shok,

Can I ask why you say all 3 props are absolute crap?

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:55 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Shok,

Can I ask why you say all 3 props are absolute crap?

Chuck
You can just tell by their construction, they are also bent a bit and the nose cone is no scream either. I did balance one last night. It is a bit harch I suppose I should change my wording as I am pretty happy with the model, If I could only find the GLUE/Caulk they use.

SWR
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:27 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,896 Posts
It might be hot glue.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 17, 2006, 08:01 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
It might be hot glue.
Nope too flexible. Looks like it has run a little to fill the gaps before it set.

SWR
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:20 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Ok Not the excitement has worn off here are some findings. None serious, still good value IMHO.

1) The wing retainers in the Fuse (Rawl Plugs) are not glued in very well. If you are not careful you can overtighten them (as I did on one) and pull them out. I removed them all and epoxyied them in. No Biggie

2) The mounting bases for the Landing Gear and The Struts is only balsa and does not handle the screws very well. I will replace them with dowels or rawl plugs at a later date.

3) The underwing covers are just a flimsy 1/8" type foam and can be removed. When you screw the strut arms into the wing they do crease. I think I will replace them with balsa sheet at a later date, this will make the wing a lot stronger. When I install an Outrunner, also later the small added weight will be of no issue.

Observations.

Fuse is in 2 halves Top, Bottom and a rear access section. Held together by Double Sided Tape and the decals.

The decals are very fragile and scuff easily. It may be nice to remove them all together and paint the stripes on with an acrylic paint. May do that when they get real tatty.

SWR
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:10 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
SWR - Have you flown the 182 yet? I would be interested to know how it holds up; I have been considering it too.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Nov 24, 2006, 07:31 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1
SWR - Have you flown the 182 yet? I would be interested to know how it holds up; I have been considering it too.
I have not had a good day yet too windy. AND I am also adding some things to it. I ordered a Lipoly and will need to modify the battery compartment. I think it is very under powered. I also ordered a Brushless setup that I will fit sooner or later.

This is my first foam plane and I am using it as my foamie experimenter. My Learn everything about Foamies Plane. Glues, etc. I am experimenting with paints also.

Being an enginneer we are never happy with other peoples work. Examples:

1) Removed cowl and made access panel in foam to battery area underneath canopy

2) Checked ALL servos for Center and adjusted control Rods. This is more difficult than it looks because the whole fuse of the model is double sided taped together, there is an access panel hidden in the tail and the fuse is 2 parts top and bottom. When left sitting with the wings on and struts connected the pressue of the struts on the wing tends to separate the front top from the bottom. No damage but the tape separates.

3) Added rawl plugs to undercarriage and strut mounts. 1/2" self tappers and 1/16" blasa does not mix well.

4) Learning about Paints and foam. Slowly removing the stock delals as they are very sad really and painting the stripes and letters on with Acrylic or Latex Paints.

5) The wings are very flimsy and will break very quickly if the tips touch the ground on landing, so I am going to remove the lower foam panels on the wings that provides very little support and replace them with balsa sheet. The weight addition is extremely minimal if any and the strength will be quadroupled.

The Model is a great deal as a play starter for $79. I would not pay more for it.

SWR

SWR
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Nov 24, 2006 at 07:58 AM.