HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2008, 04:37 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby231
Today went alot better (until getting stuck in a tree top). Waiting for glue to dry again. Whcih model easy star did you get?
Progress is good..

After I totaled a few Bellanca fuse's I bought an EasyStar kit, with the plane, motor and prop only. I had upgraded to a Lazer 4 radio but the Bellanca 27mHz TX&Rx will work in the ES. Also reused the Bellanca servos in my ES. All I had to get was a decent ESC. I saved the Bellanca 480 motor as it should fit the ES if I ever need to replace it. I have had some crashes but the ES is much tougher and my motor or prop never took any damage. Also save the Bellanca tail feathers as 1/2 of the elevator makes a great ES rudder mod.

Just in case.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2008, 04:37 PM
Rocket City
Joined May 2008
361 Posts
This was my first plane as well. Well, sort of, I've owned more than a few of the $30 indoor toys you can get at Wal-Mart and the like.

Anyway, I've chronicled my flights a bit in this thread, and overall I like the plane, though it is not a beginner's plane. It's far too sensitive in the air, even with the throws set to minimal.

I'm surprised this plane is so sensitive, what with the large wing area, dihedral, and relatively slow motor. I really would have expected this to be an easy flyer for a novice pilot.

The ground handling is indeed horrible. The landing gear is week and I've had to modify mine a bit by cutting out some foam and gluing in a piece of balsa for the gear housing to rest on. It's much more sturdy now.

I plan on flying again later this evening when the winds calm down if I get the chance. I'm getting better at sticking the landings, which seem to do best by gliding in with no throttle and flaring at the end.
The Raddish is offline Find More Posts by The Raddish
Old Jun 08, 2008, 05:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
26 Posts
one time too many

OK well the glue dried and I still had some day light left so I decided to go out again. Actually had a pretty good flight (at first). Made it 100 yards or so, managed to pull out of some (all but one) nose dives. Anyway, the front end of the fuse is now pulverized . I thought about ordering a new fuse, however hobby lobby's website shows an august delivery date. Now Im thinking it may be better to go straight to something a little less fragile. Can you point me in the direction of a particular modle of ES that would be worth looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
Progress is good..

After I totaled a few Bellanca fuse's I bought an EasyStar kit, with the plane, motor and prop only. I had upgraded to a Lazer 4 radio but the Bellanca 27mHz TX&Rx will work in the ES. Also reused the Bellanca servos in my ES. All I had to get was a decent ESC. I saved the Bellanca 480 motor as it should fit the ES if I ever need to replace it. I have had some crashes but the ES is much tougher and my motor or prop never took any damage. Also save the Bellanca tail feathers as 1/2 of the elevator makes a great ES rudder mod.

Just in case.
newby231 is offline Find More Posts by newby231
Old Jun 08, 2008, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby231
OK well the glue dried and I still had some day light left so I decided to go out again. Actually had a pretty good flight (at first). Made it 100 yards or so, managed to pull out of some (all but one) nose dives. Anyway, the front end of the fuse is now pulverized . I thought about ordering a new fuse, however hobby lobby's website shows an august delivery date. Now Im thinking it may be better to go straight to something a little less fragile. Can you point me in the direction of a particular modle of ES that would be worth looking at?
Yep, I gave up after pulverizing 2 fuses.. you can reuse most of the Bellanca electronics in this ES kit which is much more durable.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML
I'm still using the Bellanca Rx and Tx in one of my Slow Sticks..

Good Luck.. Bart
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:42 PM
Rocket City
Joined May 2008
361 Posts
Bah.

I had three excellent flights yesterday, and was in the process of a very good flight today, when *poof* goes the motor.

I was lazily cruising around at a little over 1/2 throttle, and suddenly she takes a dip out of the sky. I could hear the motor sputtering and being inconsistent, so I cut the throttle and glided her in for a nice landing.

When I recovered my Bellanca, I tried to throttle up and the motor acted quite strange, it was delayed, then throttled up a bit, then back down, then everywhere in between, so I cut power to the motor and tried the other control surfaces, which all worked just fine.

Thinking maybe it might be a dead battery, I replaced the battery with another freshly charged NiMH pack and got the same results.

Oh well. I think I'll pull the receiver and servos and try them in a EasyStar kit the next time one goes on sale.

Maybe one day I'll resurrect the airframe with a brushless setup, but for the time being I'll just retire it and play with my Super Cub which is being delivered tomorrow.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
When I recovered my Bellanca, I tried to throttle up and the motor acted quite strange, it was delayed, then throttled up a bit, then back down, then everywhere in between, so I cut power to the motor and tried the other control surfaces, which all worked just fine.

I was wondering if you had burned out the stock ESC yet and it sounds like you have now.. I burned out two stock Bellanca ESCs before giving up and buying a Jeti which I am still using in my ES..

The Bellanca was almost discouraging enough to quit the hobby but I am glad now that I didn't ...
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:02 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
I bought a Bellanca when it was on sale for $89 with FS. Thought it looked interesting and wanted to get into the sport. I split the cost with a buddy of mine we called it "ours." First flight day it was gusting probably near 20MPH and she got first flight. Bad idea!

We went to a park and tried real takeoffs, but the plane would just belly over once it started to move due to the grass. So I hand launched it, she let it climb a good 50ft and turned it back to us. The wind rolled it on the way back and it nosed dived. She's flown real planes before, but not an RC, so instinctively she knew to pull straight up as it dove. Unfortunately, she didn't quite save it and the landing gear did rip out from the bottom pulling the hatch and plastic compartment with it. We used duct tape to fix it and hold the battery.

Second go, she flew also. Same process, exact same flight, sept this time when the wind rolled it and she countered for it, the Ballanca nosed slammed into the ground at about 40MPH. We were maybe 30ft away and I definitely saw foam fly and already knew when we got over there it wouldn't be nice. The wing was cracked in half. The whole nose was crumpled in. It hit so hard there were cracks along the fuselage up to the tail, etc, etc. Even the innards were in disarray.I figured we could use more duct tape. After running out of duct tape, the motor failed to turn on. It would try, but wouldn't spin. Most likely gears got bent, because when I just spun it with my finger the "notchy" feel the prop has it rotates was replaced with a smooth fluid motion. And that was the end of the Bellanca. Lost 40$... didn't even get to fly it.

Then came along Bellance 2.0! Which I bought again a week later. Put it together myself. Then spent another 60$ or so on getting different types of those 2 channel RTF planes. The ones that are about a foot long, with two props and for it to turn one prop just turns off. Figured I would practice on these guys then move to the real thing.I got four planes. The Sky Husser or Sky Soldier off ebay, which is too damn heavy for its own good. Couldn't get it to stay in the air for 15 secs. And the other three I got from raidentech.com using discounts and freeshipping codes you can find on the internet.

http://www.raidentech.com/mirerarcai.html - Super Sonic
http://www.raidentech.com/newpelmuwa2r.html - P51 Mustang
http://www.raidentech.com/wolircbitwrc.html-mini biplane

The Super Sonic was my prize possession. I was disappointed at first, because it wouldn't lift in wind. So I started to wake up early to catch no breeze at all and it flew amazingly! The P51 was not flyable. Too heavy for itself and always veered to the left even after modifications. The mini flier doesn't really do anything but it is pretty fun to watch it fly around sporadically in even the lightest breeze lol. It's like a tissue blowing around. The Supersonic took many spills, but liquid foam (for filling the nose) and scotch tape where ever the Styrofoam cracked still keeps it going. And its cracked in pretty much every place possible. Some wires were poorly mounted to their boards and came off, but some solder and hot glue permanently fixes that.

After weeks of mastering the Super Sonic I put in lots of hours messing around on AeroFly Delux Professional Edition from IPACS with some of their add-ons as well.

Figured it was now time for my first real RC flight. I took my new Bellanca out this last Saturday morning. There was very little wind. Went to a park with adjoining baseball diamond fields.

I hand threw it and was very nervous. It climbed...First turn was successful. Started to lose sight of it in excitement that it indeed flew! Forgot to bring it back around and it wasn't long before I couldn't tell which way it was facing or turning, etc. A gust Caught it and it banked hard while over a few hundred feet away. I started to panic because I thought this was it. My baby was going to slam into the ground due to loss of control. But I just remembered my practice and "pawnage" on the Aerofly. Quickly regained control of the plane as it did its nonsense rolls and stalls in the sky and headed it back toward me where I could tell easier which way it was facing, etc etc. Flew it around with slight touches to the controls. After feeling more confident, I nosed dived and pulled up hard. MY FIRST LOOP A SUCCESS! Did a few more of these. After a few minutes it was time for the hardest part. Landing. I let off the throttle completely as it was heading away from me. Turned it and pulled the nose up as it banked so it did so very fast and hard. I did this so I could slow it down quickly. The baseball field I was on was for children really. It wasn't very big, probably the size of a high school one. As it headed toward me I let it basically glide on down. I watched it past me only 5 feet from the ground. It landed perfectly, but bellied over due to the grass. Went over and inspected it. No damage. I was proud. Flew it a few more times then headed home. Everyone was watching! Even the park ranger came over and said "Wow. You were the first one to get one of those off the ground this year. Everyone else just cant seem to get to lift off and I just laugh. You're a pretty good pilot."

WOOT!

Next day, went out to a huge parking lot to practice real take offs. It was much windier. Had a very hard time controlling it in the air, but was fine. It was moving very fast with the wind. Probably near 40MPH and against the wind it barely moved forward at full throttle. Sometimes it seemed to just stay in place. I did three flights and the landings were rough. The first two were very difficult to keep the plane steady as it approached 10ft off the ground. It kept trying to roll in one direction or the other due to the wind. Once on the asphalt the plane would keep turning in the direction it was headed in when the wheels touched the pavement and would go a good ways then tip over on the side due to the wind and momentum. The last landing was very rough. It almost hit me in the head and when I moved out of the way I accidentally shoved the nose straight down. And it did a nose crash maybe 4ft off the ground. Hit so hard the battery busted through the door compartment and the plane bounced back up into the air. It banked and hit wing and nose again as it came back down. Pieces of Styrofoam flew and blew away with the breeze. My biggest fear was the motor wouldn't work, but it still did! I lost little tips of the wing, but used fill foam and cut off the excess and used a red sharpie. Couldn't even tell the difference unless you really looked. Also lined sections of the plane with packaging tape to prevent little pieces ripping off again. The piece of styrofoam that holds the battery on the inside broke lose too , but some liquid nails held it back in place. The battery now has a much tighter fit and I sometimes have to really fight with it to get it out.

Just got back from a flight this morning. It was windy, but not nearly as bad as previously mentioned. Flying was a easy, but not as easy as the first flight. It would bank and roll sometimes spontaniously due to a gust of wind. I took off and landed successfully a few times using a only a neighbor hood road, which wasn't very wide, as my runway. Sometimes it tilted to a side once it landed and began to turn on the pavement on its own. But with the wings lined with tape nothing happened to them! One flight my battery pack died on me and the plane wouldn't pull up at full throttle. I started to panick because it was over dirt and rocks and trees over 100ft away when this happened. So...I did the only thing I could. I flew it straight into a tree. Had to climb quite high to get it out and it took some effort, but only some minor paint scratches remained after the whole deal, instead of another totaled plane. Popped in a fully charged spare battery (from the first edition Bellanca!) and was good to go.

So after all this. I can confidently say I learned to fly a real RC plane with the Bellanca but I took a lot of precautions. I trained on cheap planes and software. I read up lots. Hell I even practiced with the controls and just pretended I was looking at a plane in the far off distance and was flying it. I've only flown this thing three days so far and intend on flying it over and over. I can land pretty well now, do tight turns, loops etc. Going to master rolling it tomorrow.

I would line the edges of the wings and tail with packaging tape. This helps to keep the edges from breaking off and even prevents ruffling up the styrofoam if for some reason the wings hit the ground first or it tilts over while still in motion on the ground. Also run strips down fuselage along the button and maybe the sides. I also used some more where the plastic housing for where the motor meets the styrofoam. I rather that not break off the styrofoam. I would also use silicon glue or small project liquid nails to help keep the landing gear from ripping out. Also maybe, once that dries use packaging tape over that. I learned all this from analyzing the break points of the first Bellanca. I'm pretty sure if I didn't use the tape and the glue at a lot of points this plane would have already been in the dump or close to it as it has some rough landings.

Everything I have used to fly has been stock out of the box.
trickers is offline Find More Posts by trickers
Last edited by trickers; Jun 09, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Last edited by trickers; Jun 09, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:44 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2007
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
Yep, I gave up after pulverizing 2 fuses.. you can reuse most of the Bellanca electronics in this ES kit which is much more durable.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML
I'm still using the Bellanca Rx and Tx in one of my Slow Sticks..

Good Luck.. Bart

im definetely interested in upgrading to the ES, because I eventually wanna get into FPV flying. WHat else would i need to buy in addition to the fuse, if I have the rcm pelikan's electronics and servos and batteries, etc. because i got the bellanca for 90 bucks shipped and upgrading to an ES for about 70 is very appealing.

thanks in advance
spyder11 is offline Find More Posts by spyder11
Old Jun 09, 2008, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder11
im definetely interested in upgrading to the ES, because I eventually wanna get into FPV flying. WHat else would i need to buy in addition to the fuse, if I have the rcm pelikan's electronics and servos and batteries, etc. because i got the bellanca for 90 bucks shipped and upgrading to an ES for about 70 is very appealing.

thanks in advance
The ES kits comes with a motor and prop and all the Bellanca electronics will transfer to and complete the ES kit (save the Bellanca prop adapter as you will be able to use it on the ES if you decide to change props). In my opinion the ESC is the weak link in the system, the servos fit fine and the radio will work. The Bellanca batteries are small but they are 8 cells and will fly the ES just fine, I used them when I first got my ES. The ES will hold much larger batteries and you will find that you will need to add weight to the nose to balance the CG and what better way to add needed weight than to use bigger batteries
Old Jun 09, 2008, 03:50 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2007
297 Posts
perfect, thank you for the quick reply.. it seems like i'm going to follow through with it.. which ESC would you recommend and which dealer. I'm pretty sure dealextreme has a few and they are pretty cheap but i can't vouch for quality.. i just received and installed a 9g servo from them for the ailerons on the bellance. thanks again bartricky
spyder11 is offline Find More Posts by spyder11
Old Jun 09, 2008, 04:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder11
perfect, thank you for the quick reply.. it seems like i'm going to follow through with it.. which ESC would you recommend and which dealer. I'm pretty sure dealextreme has a few and they are pretty cheap but i can't vouch for quality.. i just received and installed a 9g servo from them for the ailerons on the bellance. thanks again bartricky
I think the Es kit is a std. item, I got mine from Hobby Lobby and Tower has a full line of Multiplex parts. I smoked two Bellanca ESCs and then bought a Jeti JES 020, probably more than I needed but I haven't had any problems. Can run NIXX or Lipo with it. I sometimes use 3S Lipos in my ES, just don't go near WOT with the stock motor..

Going to the ES kept me in the hobby and now I love the plane. I also have a Slow Stick and a Stryker C for different flying and locations but the ES would be the one I would keep if I could only have one.
And I am lusting for an Easy Glider

Good luck...
Old Jun 09, 2008, 07:59 PM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Hey guys! Pure newbie here. Just want to say, just did two successful flights in gusty conditions to point where it barely moved against wind!

Did my first barrel roll without ailerons as well. Was kinda tricky, but thanks to Aerofly I kinda knew what to do before hand. Although it was tricky with a remote and not a joystick.

First landing was perfect even on bumpy asphalt. Second landing was more of a plop thanks to heavier winds. The landing gear bent backwards a bit but I just pushed it back forwards thanks to the glue and tape. Once again, would have broken off the hatch if I hadn't done that.

WOO!!! I'm excited! 8 flights so far on my first plane ever!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
E-Flight Newb
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Just logged two more flights this morning. One with a perfect landing and the other landing it nosed over because of the front wheels. Winds were about 5MPH.

I've been practicing my landings on road surfaces a lot which unless newly paved isn't very smooth compared to a concrete pad. But I can't find either one.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the front landing gear more impact resistant? It always seems to bend backward a bit due to the weight of the plane as it touches and then the whole thing noes over. Or sometimes it gets caught in a little indent on the road or whatever. I already have glue and tape on it and this just prevents it from breaking off altogether, but it still bends quite a ways sometimes.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
Rocket City
Joined May 2008
361 Posts
I stuck a piece of balsa under the leading edge of the plastic plate in which you stick the landing gear. I was having trouble with that plate digging into the foam and bending forward on landings which then pointed the gear backwards. I'll try to remember and take a pic or two when I get home this evening.

Essentially, I just dug out some foam with a knife and cut a piece of balsa and glued it in place with the glue that came with the plane. After that dried, I glued the battery compartment/landing gear plate back in place with the front part resting on the balsa. It's survived quite well since I did this.

I've got a video and some pics of my last flight before I blew up my ESC, I'll try to remember to post those tonight as well. I still have one more ESC I can swap out from the crashed bird so I might do that and try to get my Bellanca up in the air again, or might just wait until I do an aileron mod since I have my new Super Cub.

At least the electronics (minus the ESC) will work well in a Easy Star, which I will buy the next time one goes on sale, or when Hobby-Lobby has them in stock on one of their 20% off sales again.