HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:24 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I now prefer the Lions, but my second choice for the moth is a 7 cell 300 mah NiMH pack. You'll get about 13 to 15 minutes of flight time and the weight is still nice and low.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:32 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I have to give a good nod to the 7 cell 370's They're great in my LS and my 280 powered balsa WWI bipes. ( I just hope that I'm not shortening their life with more than 2.8 amps in climb out.)
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Oct 01, 2002, 05:37 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
hi fred

i prefer the electrify 7 cell 650 nimh (only have one)

then i have the e-flight 5000 7 cell 300 nimh

both types serve me well

Belgy
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Oct 01, 2002, 09:45 PM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
477 Posts
Belgy, will both of those packs fit in OK? Also, yes this is my first TM, how are ya'll fitting those packs in? Are you carving out the front to fit them in?

Thanks guys,
Fred
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
Old Oct 01, 2002, 10:33 PM
I am to the limit!
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Sep 2002
138 Posts
It's easiest to cut the battery compartment before assembling the halves. You can still do it after it's together. Just enlarge both sides of the existing battery compartment. It will end up being about 1 1/8" wide or thereabouts.

I used a rubber band around the nose of the plane to keep the battery from falling out. The cowl would probably work too but I misplaced mine. My new Li Ion cell is a stick pack so I had to put a partition in to keep the battery from falling backward into the guts of the plane.

Jeff
Jeff Costantino is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Costantino
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:40 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fred420
Belgy, will both of those packs fit in OK? Also, yes this is my first TM, how are ya'll fitting those packs in? Are you carving out the front to fit them in?

Thanks guys,
Fred
yupper Fred

the e-flight packs are 1/3 aa sized (same as the recommended GWS packs) just twice the mah capacity

and the electrifly is in a stick 3 over 4 pattern...fits just perfect
pm me if ya want to see some photos

Chuck
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:08 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I posted a slightly better TM video on http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500/5221TMSlalom.WMV . It is also called Tigermoth Slalom, oops, the October 25th version is better. Parkflyer video #775

You can see the TM catching tree on the left side of the sidewalk in the video. And in this thread for anybody who missed it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=65973

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; May 24, 2004 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to replace silent flight online link
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2002
34 Posts
you may not believe this, but I was flying my TM at a high altitude at a local park in my neighborhood. It was getting a little far from me so I tried to bring to closer when I realized that the plane was no responding. I had lost all controls and all I could do was helplessly watch my plane fly away a couple blocks away. I drove my car around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes and to my suprise and luck it landed high in a tree of some guys front yard. The guy came out and I explained my predicament and since he had a swimming pool, he was nice enough to help me and made a super-long pole with duct tape plus a tree cutter and through some perseverance I got it down in perfect shape.

Then I realized what happened was that the battery fell out of my plane in mid-flight. Its kind of weird because I wasn't doing any manuevers and usually the connectors are strong enough to hold the weight of the battery.

In any case I learned a valuable lesson.
thmscheng is offline Find More Posts by thmscheng
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:37 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread but lookin' good Basketcase!!!! Another nice job! Oh and I fly the TM with 7-300NiMH!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 26, 2002, 04:56 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thmscheng
you may not believe this, but I was flying my TM at a high altitude at a local park in my neighborhood. It was getting a little far from me so I tried to bring to closer when I realized that the plane was no responding. I had lost all controls and all I could do was helplessly watch my plane fly away a couple blocks away. I drove my car around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes and to my suprise and luck it landed high in a tree of some guys front yard. The guy came out and I explained my predicament and since he had a swimming pool, he was nice enough to help me and made a super-long pole with duct tape plus a tree cutter and through some perseverance I got it down in perfect shape.

Then I realized what happened was that the battery fell out of my plane in mid-flight. Its kind of weird because I wasn't doing any manuevers and usually the connectors are strong enough to hold the weight of the battery.

In any case I learned a valuable lesson.
yup two lesons actually, 1st gotta pin the battery in somehow
tape, velcro, toothpicks even
second, right your name and address and phone # on the plane
you'd be surprised how many honest people there actually are

LOL
glad you got her back in one piece

Belgy
Old Oct 26, 2002, 08:25 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
My TM Contribution

Here's my new TM. It's a stock GWS TM with numerous E-Zone mods. I was considering the tiger stripe theme when I saw a pic of flyinjim's. That settled it as far as the design. Thanks for all the tips on building.

Jim
StormRider is offline Find More Posts by StormRider
Old Oct 26, 2002, 08:50 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Having Tigger pilot your Moth is a nice touch Jim.
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Oct 26, 2002, 09:07 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
Thanks. Tigger escaped from a Pez dispenser. My daughter christened the plane as "Tigger's Revenge".

Jim
StormRider is offline Find More Posts by StormRider
Old Oct 26, 2002, 09:27 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Boomer.

Thomas, like Belgy said, I'd recommend some velcro.

Jim, your 'moth looks great. I really like the tiger stripes and pilot. And see that you've made some landing gear mods too.

Wayne

p.s. nobody downloaded my video?
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 26, 2002, 11:28 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Thanks Boomer.

p.s. nobody downloaded my video?
Yep,
I did ... both of them One thing about that low level stuff at least if you do get hung up it's where you can reach it. Prop hanging score in my Cul de sac is trees 2.... Cable hoist on the barn next door 1. I cant believe I dead centered the sucker and ended hanging by the prop so I had to get my ladder to get it loose!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace