HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:17 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I'm sure many of us are waiting for a favorite plane from Mr Lin. Why do the Moth again? Pick a different bipe - SE5a?
I can't wait for a delta jet. Avro Arrow?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:22 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Yes Mr Lin, Pleaaaaaaase a Stearman P-17, Pleaaaaaaase
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:44 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
I don't get it... Nishiya Shinichiro was modeling some future GWS planes in the R/C sim FMS. Is there any chance that the SE5lite, PT17lite and PT19lite will see the dawn of reality. These planes have a real appeal to scale buffs and regular Joes alike...

Mr. Lin....??
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Sep 05, 2002, 12:11 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Looee, actually Shinishiro San kindly did the PT-17Lite after I requested it from him. And it only took him a day or so too.
He did the Litemoth's by request also.

I don't think he ever had any connection with GWS except a great skill at modeling the planes for FMS.

Thanks to Shinishiro's inspiration and instructions I was able to create a Switchback for FMS in Metasequoia.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 05, 2002, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Basketcase, nice moth! I like the color scheme. Prob very easy to see...
I don't know what it is about the moth, but I have had the most fun with this aircraft by far and it was also the least expensive... hummmm, maybe we are on to something here
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 06, 2002, 09:15 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Just installed a duct inside the cowl to direct the air to the fins on the heatsink.

Also finally got a pic that sort of shows the fake oil cooler.
Last edited by Basketcase; Sep 06, 2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 02:54 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jul 2002
39 Posts
Mr. Lin, I'm very impressed with the GWS product line. It is for certain that I will buy the larger Tiger Moth as soon as it becomes available because I like my current model Tiger Moth so much. I, too, would like to see a GWS PT-19 or PT-26 in the future as these are two of my favorite classic trainers. I would buy those too. Thank you.
chuck-webb is offline Find More Posts by chuck-webb
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:01 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Since a couple of folks have asked about more Tigermoth mods I thought I'd post them in this thread to keep them together.

For my landing gear I used the stock wire with a vee bend in the top to make it narrower to fit into the cf tube channels, and to allow the motor wire to stay connected while removing the gear. It's much easier to get the wings with flying wires off with the landing gear removed.

I added a piece of wire to the gear by wrapping with thread and CA'ing the thread.

And used scap tail foam to make the strut fairings, then wrapped them in tape to hold them on.

And didn't have a long enough rubberband so tied two together to loop around the new wire, around the ends of the struts and to a hook glued into the nose.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:03 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
One with the gear removed. Just have to push the battery wire out of the way and it slides out.

You can see the ends of the 3/4 cf tube in the channels.

Also note the vee bend in the top of the wire gear, this both makes it narrower (to fit in the cf tubes) and lets the motor stay connected while the gear is removed, making wing removal easier.

The wheels are 1-11/16" Lyt from Hobby Lobby colored red with a Sharpie pen.
Last edited by Basketcase; Sep 29, 2002 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:07 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
The thanks for this idea go to Red Baron 47. I copied it from his Tigermoth.

A better shot of the cooling duct. Made from scrap cowl plastic and painted black.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:08 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Taped inside with scotch tape.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:31 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
That's great BC, I really love how make these little b-planes come alive with your detailing...I remember your yellow one you had before, nice nice... .

My problem is, the more I see all this, the more I miss my old TM...maybe I'm going to have to get another.

Very cool!

Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:44 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Bob, I haven't given up on the old 'moth yet. she's still flying with a 300 motor. Perfect for those windier days.

But nothing beats a stock 'moth for those calm air dawn patrols.

Same plane but they're totally different.

Here's a pic from last Saturday at the aerodrome with GLewis's Tigermoth.

BC
Old Sep 18, 2002, 03:47 PM
Left Coast
Joined Apr 2002
27 Posts
Basketcase,
Nice job on your Moths. I copied your idea for replacing the screws that secure the upper wing struts with dowels.
Here's a little improvement you can use to eliminate the rubber band- simply slice a thin section from the end of a piece of surgical tubing and stretch it across the dowels. You can color the 'retainer' with sharpies to match your fuse and you can hardly see it.
Crabjuice is offline Find More Posts by Crabjuice
Old Sep 21, 2002, 09:04 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Crab Juice, thanks for the tip. You got me motivated to do something to get rid of that rubberband. I didn't have any surgical tubing on hand so started looking around for alternatives.

I found some wire insulation that fits nice and tight on the cf rods holding the inner struts. Looks good and the only drawback I see is they keepers are so small I'll probably lose one everytime I take 'em off. But I have plenty more wire.

BC