HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
RC flight school visits Elementary School

News Release

On October 13, 2006, representatives from 1st U.S. R/C Flight School and Four Seasons R/C Flyers shared with over 150 2nd through 5th graders what itís like to fly radio control airplanes during "Hobby Day" at Wabeno Elementary School in central Wisconsin.

Club member Tony Baiach did a terrific job entertaining the kids with some amazing aviation trivia and explaining how an airplane is controlled. Rusty Billings and John Huntington displayed their awesome giant-scale airplanes and turned the switches on so that the kids could watch the surfaces deflect while they took turns working the controls. Then, 1st U.S. R/C Flight School instructor, Dave Scott, put on an exciting indoor flying demonstration with his Yak foamie. Each kid then received a balsa glider to fly and the gymnasium quickly became filled with gliders and the sounds of laughter.

This was the first time many of the kids had seen an R/C airplane, and we know by the many thank you cards received that everyone had a great time on "Hobby Day".

Caine Somon, Age 6: "Thanks for flying the airplane. They are great. That was the most fun school day of the year."

James Mervyn, Age 7: "R/C flying was the best day ever. I want to be a plane flyer."

Justin Cassidy, Age 7: "I had a lot of fun. I thought the planes were cool and they looked fun to fly."

Dennis Porton, Age 6: "I loved the RC flyers. They are so cool. I wish I could be like you guys."

Peter Widucki, Age 7: "Thank you for showing me that awesome hobby. Iím going to get an RC flyer." Etc., etc., etc....

Pictures available
rcfs is offline Find More Posts by rcfs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,051 Posts
Kudos to you and your friends on a job well done getting kids involved at an early age will develop the skill and imagination thats required for our next generation of modellers hopefully they will remember your visit for many years .
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Nov 12, 2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,803 Posts
Very Cool. We should all do this more.

Good on you and your club.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Great job guys! I've been promoting the RC aircraft hobby at the high school where I work, through a club. It's been a lot of fun teaching the students how to build and fly planes.

Most of my students have seen the garbage planes you can get at Walmart, and Toys R Us, but not the built up balsa models you'd buy from the hobby store. None of the students even knew that our town has a hobby store.

Anyway, kudos to you and the rest of us who are doing everything we can to get students involved with a hobby that can outlast a lifetime.

Thanks,
Mike
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev