HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 05, 2007, 01:12 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
108 Posts
Elmers Pro-Bond Aliphatic has some advantages over Titebond for some of this. Its a bit thicker, has very high wet tack, so in many cases, you dont need to pin or clamp like you do with titebond, and it also dries a lot faster. OTOH, I think Titebond is a bit easier to sand.

Bob
parky is offline Find More Posts by parky
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2007, 01:14 AM
Dirt a.k.a. Tom
Kent, WA
Joined Mar 2004
679 Posts
I went with Elmers Carpenter Glue in a tube. Pen type tip makes it really easy to control. We'll see if it holds together or not.

My first fiberglassing job came out okay except the damn nose area. Easy fix though. Now pod and boom weighing in at ~18g but boom will not be epoxied in until final assembly.
Master_Dirt is offline Find More Posts by Master_Dirt
Old May 05, 2007, 10:40 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky
Elmers Pro-Bond Aliphatic has some advantages over Titebond for some of this. Its a bit thicker, has very high wet tack, so in many cases, you dont need to pin or clamp like you do with titebond, and it also dries a lot faster. OTOH, I think Titebond is a bit easier to sand.

Bob
There's a high tack version of Titebond formulated for finish carpentry and mouldings. white, dries clear.

fwiw
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old May 05, 2007, 10:42 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,847 Posts
Wood glues are so high tech nowdays with so many different choices. But, I am a fan of good old carpenters glue for most stuff (yellow). When I want a bit of flex I go to canopy glue.

Does anyone know of a 'cheap' version of canopy glue? Regular elmer's glue works but with any high humidity it starts to unglue.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 05, 2007, 10:57 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
108 Posts
Regardless of which variant of the white (aliphatic) glues, I find it nice to build with a glue that is non-toxic, and does not smell. I am slighlty alergic to CA, but have a friend who suddenly developed severe CA allergy (as in call 911 and several days in the hospital) and also others with epoxy allergy.

But maybe the real reason is a flashback to kindergarten days with the edible paste that was used before the era of glue sticks..

Bob
Old May 05, 2007, 05:07 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Pod glassed! Actually an easy task...thought it was going to be more difficult.
Really enjoying this build.
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old May 07, 2007, 11:51 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
To FLYECM,

Was there ever a prototype made with the stab mounted below the boom?

I am planning to build it per plans, but started to wonder when I began working on the stab.

Kim
Old May 07, 2007, 12:53 PM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
108 Posts
OK, its done and flown!

First some weights. The unshaped tails from my kit were 4.7 grams. I did too much sanding on them, but got them down to 3 grams for both. With resin finish, about 3.5. I wanted to get the plane done for my son to fly in a local contest yesterday, and figured done with a bit of nose weight was better than not done, and its pretty easy to cut the tails off and replace them later.

The fuselage and boom were 22 grams, but trimming the boom to length removed a bit over 2 grams. i did not write down the weight after glassing.

The wing was 33 grams before final sanding and LE shaping. After joining, adding the root CF, throwing blade and tip CF it was 36 grams. My tip CF weight was probably a bit heavy due to using CA to attach it. A bit messy but it worked.

After covering with the Ultracote/Oracover lite (the older stuff, not the current stuff), it was 44 grams, so only 8 grams for covering!

Due to the heavy tails and lack of time, I did not make the horizontal removable.

I also shoved the radio a bit farther forward than on the plans. I am using LiPoly batteries, so the servos were the heaviest things. I fit 2 Dymond D47's side by side pretty far up in the nose. Battery is 2s 90 or 130 mAh LiPoly with a BP hobbies BEC regulator, and RX is a Berg 4L. Due to time limits, the Berg antenna was just taped to the boom, which also cost some nose weight.

The basic weight of the model is a bit under 100 grams! (3.5 oz!!!), but with the nose weight, its 112 grams or 3.9 oz, still under the spec!

I can easily see doing a bit better tails and getting rid of the RX antenna mass in back and getting it back down under 3.7 oz.

As for the flying, well, the plane got done at 2 am on the day of the contest, got in a few trim flights before things started. The problem was that the weather was a bit windy, and even the 1.5 meter DLG's were ending up far downwind and having trouble getting back. But the Apogee flew well, got some thermals, he just could not ride them for very far and get back home again.

Overall, a very nice little plane. I think a few of the other guys at the contest will be getting one. I just want to have a bit more time to fly it in calmer weather to really get it sorted out and get used to it.

Bob
Old May 07, 2007, 01:16 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhey
To FLYECM,

Was there ever a prototype made with the stab mounted below the boom?

Kim
No, never

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old May 07, 2007, 01:18 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Bob, nice report - we had the same kind of weekend here on the east coast, I hope it improves soon and you get a chance to do more flying

Jose
Old May 07, 2007, 01:39 PM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
108 Posts
We had a front go through on Friday, Saturday was REALLY windy, and it still had not settled down on Sunday for the contest. The guys who have been flying that field for a long time said it was the worst weather for a contest they had ever had. Today, the weather is, of course, great, but its a work day

The Apogee Sport sure makes the 1.5 meter DLG's seem big and ponderous! Its going to be a great airplane for the little lift bubbles we have around here at mid morning most days.

So, whats the plan for the Apogee Elite?

Bob
Old May 07, 2007, 02:06 PM
build, launch, rekit...
Columbia, MD
Joined Oct 2003
168 Posts
Sounds like Sunday was windy across the U.S. I was wondering about the winds at the BASS contest. I imagine your Sport didn't see much flight time Sunday, Jose.

Nice to meet you on Sat. though.
Shreve is offline Find More Posts by Shreve
Old May 07, 2007, 03:21 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky

So, whats the plan for the Apogee Elite?

Bob

I wonder too...
Old May 07, 2007, 05:30 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Shreve, nice meeting you too!

Kim, Bob - I finishing some Apogee 400 right now, and after that I'll start with the Elite...

Charlie, did you get a chance to start your build?

Jose
Old May 09, 2007, 04:29 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Made lots of progress today
Kids in kindergarden and school, wife at work...niceee..

Only covering the wing left, then I go flying. Checked the weight, and it 87 grams (minus So-lite). This beauty will only be some few grams heavier than my BlueAngle (90 grams), but with SO much more wingarea

Found a really small switch in one of my youngest sons broken (it's true) toys, that was so small and light that I am sure it took weight off the model.
Needed some more in the nose to balance it, so I tore one of my 2 cells E-Tec 300mAh apart, and put one of the in... the flyingtime must be hours between charging

Now I have to figure out a nice colour/pattern, and start covering that lovely wing!

And Yes... I am that lucky sucker that won the raffle

Kim
Closed Thread