HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Planned Equipment

For this prototype, I plan to use the same equipment in the Apogee Sport that I used in My Apogee 400.

Berg 4L Receiver - 4 grams
Blue Bird BMS-303 servos - 4.1 grams x 2 = 8.2 grams
150 mah 3-cell NiMh battery - 12.5 grams
a small switchjack based on Mouser components

I am considering using a 1-cell lipo to replace the 3-cell NiMh. Initial searching revealed a 145 mah Kokam cell that would fit in the existing space. Balance has a lot to do with that decision, since the lighter lipo would remove about 7 grams from the nose. I will revisit this idea after I see where the CG falls.

Kyle - I appreciate the information on the new Blue Arrow BA-TS-2.5 servo. I had not seen that servo. Have you tried one yet?

Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens is offline Find More Posts by Jack Stephens
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2006, 02:59 PM
Decatur, GA
Joined Nov 2006
11 Posts
Jack
I got in on the tail end of the Apogee 400 build so you may not have seen my Apogee mods (mine weighs 91.5g after some crash repairs). One that you might be interested in is the 250 mah LiPo that I'm using. It weighs 5.77g with the connector and is about 1" square. In a typical flying session of an hour or so the voltage might drop 2 or 3 tenths of a volt.

A possible very light weight finish for the pod would be 1/2 ounce glass applied with thinned Duco or Ambroid or clear dope. Dr. Gonzo taught me that technique and it works well.

Some possible covering choices:
Nelson Lite Film - .019 g/in2
.00025 Mylar from MRL - .006 g/in2
olbill is offline Find More Posts by olbill
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:10 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
olbill,

Thanks for the ideas. I have used Nelson Litefilm and really like it. It is a little more susceptable to field damage than the heavier films, but it is very light and it is a pleasure to apply.

I would like to know more about the 250 mah lipo you used. What brand is it, and where did you get it?

Thanks again,

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:58 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
I've used Li-po's successfully but...

John Gallagher wrote an interesting article on li-po's for gliders.
His test no.3 and the Conclusions have precautions.
It's real easy to get caught up in thermaling and lose track of time, or forget your glider ON for extended periods while shooting the bull.
http://www.sjsf.org/LipoBatt/LiPolyBatt.htm
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:17 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Jack,

I think the LiPo are a good alternative, but balancing should not be an issue, the Ni-MH 3.6V 1/3 AAA should work just fine too.

John255,

Thank you for the link

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:00 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Jose,

I agree. I will continue researching a lipo option, but I will stick with my original plans to use the 150 mah NiMh as we did in the Apogee 400.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2003
114 Posts
Hi there Jack.
No I havent used the 2.5 gram servo. It just came out.
But as far as the mylar from www.homefly.com Ive used it for years now. Its stong and extreamly light.
Kyle
kylekroker is offline Find More Posts by kylekroker
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:12 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Fitting the Boom to the Pod

Sorry to have slowed down today, but my 90 year-old house needs some attention.

Some final sanding of the rear pod opening is required to allow the pod sides to fit closely around the boom, and to ensure proper alignment of the boom with the pod. Tape and wrap a small piece of 400 grit sandpaper around the boom and rotate the boom while lightly pinching the pod ends together. Be sure that the boom is fully inserted through the bulkheads and is touching the wing bolt block.

Boom alignment is critical to performance, so this is an important step. When building the kit, the plans will provide both a top view and side view of the pod and boom. In the top view the boom must align with the pod centerline. In the side view, the boom must be parallel to the wing saddle.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:13 AM
Decatur, GA
Joined Nov 2006
11 Posts
Here's the link to the LiPo that I use:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...27&pid=U351143
olbill is offline Find More Posts by olbill
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:38 AM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
olbill,

Thanks. I appreciate the information.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:57 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Glueing Boom to Pod

I used 15 minute epoxy to glue in the boom. The primary issue is alignment of the boom with the pod centerline and the wing saddle. At this point, I do not have full-size plans, so I simply drew long parallel lines on my work surface so I could easily check boom alignment with the pod centerline and with the wing saddle.

Be sure to do a dry run with whatever clamping system you plan to use, to ensure that it does not intefere with your ability to verify alignment. It takes very little pressure to hold the pod sides against the boom while the glue dries.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,732 Posts
This is a cool looking glider. I've wanted to try one for a while and this looks like a straightforward design.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Hey Charlie, welcome to the Apogee Sport thread.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,732 Posts
Thanks Jack.

Nice build job.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
The blue arrow 2.5 gram servos states only 3.7oz-in torque for 6V, 3.5 oz-in for 4.8V, so 3.6V will probably be very little. I dont know how much torque is really necessary for such a small plane, but it may be too little, or at least on the launching part.
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Closed Thread