HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,147 Posts
Very Nice!! Love the keel fuse pod - very light yet very strong.
What's the target weight of the design?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:18 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw126a
Great stuff, you guys, looks very interesting, do have a soft spot for built up models. What kind of weight are you shooting for?
Tom
The ASport should be around 4.0 oz (much like Mark's original wooden Apogee), and working towards sub 4.0 oz

Thank

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:26 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
Wow!!!
Very exciting news.
I think this kit will really move 1M along as a viable class.
The design looks nothing short of great!
Jack's writing and his photography are clear as the per verbal "bell."
Perfect choice.
One-meter has so much too offer.
Making it available to the sport crowd is right on!!!
I've placed my order by email. Hope that works.
Congradulations Jose!
John255
Hi John,

I agree Mark Drela did an outstanding job designing the Apogee, with his help it has been adapted to a production model; much like everyone around here, I have learned so much from the good Dr. and others as well.

Thanks John

Jose
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
Very Nice!! Love the keel fuse pod - very light yet very strong.
What's the target weight of the design?
John,

Thanks for the kind words, we are looking for a similar weight (or below) as Mark Drela's original wooden desgin around 4.0 oz.

Jose
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
More on the Pod

I need a break from cutting out wing ribs, so I thought I would post another step or two on the pod.

Pod Sides

The next step is gluing the 1/64” plywood reinforcement strips for the wing saddle. Location of these pieces is important to accuracy of the wing saddle, so we are considering laser printing the part location on the pod sides. This would also give added insurance against the dreaded “two left sides” accident.

Using the plans to line up the pod sides, the rear inside of the pod sides must be sanded to accommodate the boom where it enters the back of the pod. This is done with sandpaper wrapped around the boom. This is just an initial sanding which will be finished when the boom is actually installed in the pod.

Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens is offline Find More Posts by Jack Stephens
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Assembling the Pod

Glue the nose block and bulkheads to the right side of the pod with epoxy or medium CA. Ensure that the bulkheads are perpendicular to the pod sides and take care not to get any adhesive into the pushrod holes. It would be very difficult to clear these very small holes later. Unfortunately I speak from experience on this.

The rearmost bulkhead is not installed at this point. It will be added after the boom is installed.

The finall kit will of course be laser cut, and the bulkheads will probably be tabbed and keyed to the pod sides. This will greatly ease the alignment task for the builder. Positioning of the bulkheads in the wing saddle area is particularly critical.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Intriguing, gentlemen. Will follow the build closely.

Thank you,

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
Old Nov 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2003
113 Posts
You made me smile today.

I fly the Appogee on the flight simulator all of the time and saw this thread and thought WoW. An affordable plane for me. The Appogee thermals so well that I can only dream of what it might acually do in the hands of someone like me that fly's it on the sim all the time. Keep us posted as to the cost please and let us know of the true sink rate in dead air and the hang time in seconds.
Thank you so very much for your work on this model.
Kyle.
kylekroker is offline Find More Posts by kylekroker
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Glueing on the Pod Side

I really appreciate the nice feedback. I hope I can work fast enough to maintain your interest.

Left Pod Side

Starting at the front, clamp and glue on the left pod side. Thin CA would probably be best, since you can clamp the whole pod and check alignment before committing to the adhesive. Again, take care not to foul the pushrod tube holes in the bulkheads.

The back of the pod is not glued together at this time. This end will be glued together when the boom is installed.

Having mentioned the carbon boom, it is 441 mm long. It will pass through the rear two bulkheads you see in the photos below, and butt against the back of the wing bolt block.

Tomorrow may be a slow day for posting since I will have a contractor here at the house. I still should be able to get at least one post out.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:18 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,333 Posts
Hey Jose

Good to see you actually have been doing "something" :-)))

Nice work, looks good.
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2003
113 Posts
What will the covering be? will the fuse be lightly glassed or just some type of light covering as well?
Thanks, Kyle.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:57 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Kyle,

Jose and I are still working on both of your questions.

The wings and tail will probably be covered with one of the light films currently available, and the pod will probably be done in light glass cloth and finishing resin. Whatever we use, it will be as light as possible.

Jack Stephens
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2003
113 Posts
Blue arrow has a 2.5 gram servo out that may lighten things up alot. It uses that small JST connector and will plug right into a JMP 4 channel reciever which is also extreamly light. www.homefly.com has this reciever as well as covering that is incredably light. I like the aluminized mylar. Glue stick or a ironing on glue for coverings works well here. Ask David Lewis which he would recomend.
I am so looking forward to seeing the finished model and how light you can go.
Kyle
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:48 AM
Joined Aug 2006
35 Posts
Jose good luck with the Appogee sport kit I think its an exellent idea,I will wait until you have it in full swing before I place my order!
Just a couple of points I think worth mentioning - my appogee is now weighing 4,3/8oz after minor repairs and re-ballancing and is flying noticably better in all conditions than when it was 4oz. Launch hight is much better, over 120feet easily.
Average flight time with out obviose lift 1min30.
I would be inclined to build UP to this weight on future builds.
Jose, why not offer a third option of the composite fusalage and built-up wing? just a thought.

Martin.
martinhalst is offline Find More Posts by martinhalst
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:49 AM
build, launch, rekit...
Columbia, MD
Joined Oct 2003
167 Posts
Looks Great!! Was looking for a winter build, and I think I've found it. Where do I sign?
Shreve is offline Find More Posts by Shreve
Closed Thread