HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2002, 12:45 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
New plane(it's me agane)

Im back asking for a new plane...............

I though I had decided on the GYM-E, then, online, my dad spotted the hobby lobby rear bear, after a good look at it, I wanted a rear bear, now, I don't want it cause I was told by a guy at my LHS that hobby lobby’s planes are good, but spars are very very hard to find. so the rear bears out. I asked the guy at my LHS what he would get, and he said a GWS zero! This is going all over the place, plus, my dad has the final say in what we buy since he's paying(a deal we made, long story) My dad sort of liked the GYM-E, but thinks it's to flimsy, I know it's not since I saw martins at the chilliwak fly-in, AND talked to him! so this is really getting crazy! I still can't decide. so, here is the deal, recommend a plane that you really like and I will show them to my dad.If you can, get a link or a pic, plus A bit of info. My flying skills are a Pico stick FD, and a watt-age ezette with cranked throws (BOY, that this is aerobatic with crazy throws! ) im very good at my ezette, today is its one week in service day.

HELP!!!!!!!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Sep 02, 2002 at 01:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2002, 02:21 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Ya know I gotta say it....

How about a Switchback.
I don't know what kind of plane you're looking for, but a Switchback Sport would probably be a bit more docile than a Zero when need, but still do just about every thing I can think of.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Sep 02, 2002, 03:03 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,635 Posts
or you could go a cheaper route and build the AND_NOW, just hot rod it with the gws eps300c-b and 10x4.7 prop, 8 720mah nimh sanyos, and theres a home brewed airframe made out of sturdyboard thats almost indestructable for 6 bucks plus electronics, very good aileron trainer, and with the 370 motor it has vertical but still slows down to a crawl, i built mine to get me ready for my switchback 23 flights and counting

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Sep 02, 2002, 04:27 AM
Joined May 2002
104 Posts
do not get the ZERO! the Gym-E is a whole lot better to me than the zero,the zero is and a handful, I tried to get the zero going and it almost took me out of the hobby with more frusterating problems than I can deal with, and the Gym-E is I think the best plane I have(many other would agree with me search the forums)and it will use all of your electronics that you have with the pico stick, if i were you I would get the Gym-E, no qeustions asked, you want regred it belive me!
wazup41 is offline Find More Posts by wazup41
Old Sep 02, 2002, 06:34 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Are you saying the rare bear and the rear bear are different planes Thomas ?
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:18 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
Ha ha. You were told that Hobby Lobby's planes were junk by a guy at a hobby shop. What a surprize
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Last edited by Paul Penney; May 25, 2003 at 09:32 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:50 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
He never told me that hobby-lobbys planes are junk, he said that they are very good kits' but it's very hard the get parts

Thomas
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:57 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==My dad sort of liked the GYM-E, but thinks it's to flimsy==

Do a little research and present it to your dad. Do a search of old threads and present your dad with the reams of printouts of favorable comments about the Gym-E. This is your 1st balsa kit and you need to walk before you run. Everyone has been telling you to get the Gym-E or Duskstik because that is what you need at your building and flying skill level. It is a quick build and a great flyer for someone with limited experience. It's no more flimsy than any other balsa plane.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 02, 2002, 12:01 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
This might sound like a crazy idea, but when i was looking in E-zones reveiws, i spotted The S & B Sea Fury. i went in and had a look, i then went to the Manufacturers web page.The planes look great! They are all EPP foam and look great. the two i like most are Foker wulf Ta152H and the spit fire. they say that there models are very stabel and easy to fly, and the FOCKE WULF Ta152H is reccamended for all flyers, but the spitfire is reccamended for more advanced flyers.

Thomas
Old Sep 02, 2002, 12:31 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Some other ideas,

GWS beaver

GWS tiger moth

GYM-E

hobby-lobby 400 planes:

Miss 2

Playboy

Terry

Thomas
Old Sep 02, 2002, 01:52 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
zero is rough

zero is hard to handle ....but it flies great once you get used to it

i am not reccomending it thoug in fact i would say "stay away" from it till you really good

after seeing Bc's switch back fly,, i would say it's the next step in your evolution

i flew fast and hard ...but did real well on slow flyby's too

after seeing one ...i know what everybody talkin about
this is Photo of Bc's Sb on flyby

Belgy
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Sep 03, 2002, 03:30 PM
Nashville TN
Joined Mar 2002
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theflyman2
He never told me that hobby-lobbys planes are junk, he said that they are very good kits' but it's very hard the get parts

Thomas
Hello,

Where did your local dealer get his information? We work hard to support all our products. If you need something all just ask.

Thanks,

Eric Metzler
Hobby-Lobby
Sales Manager
615-373-1444
eric.metzler@hobby-lobby.com

emetzler is offline Find More Posts by emetzler
Old Sep 03, 2002, 03:52 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Just to add more to the list of factors, if you do go with a kit like the DuskStik or Todd's Gym-E, you will have built it so if you do crash bad, you will know how to fix it. Both planes are simple so repairs would be also. These planes may look fragile but, in truth, they are very light so you just don't have the energy to do a lot of damage.

A 13 year old boy showed up Monday at our flying site (a church parking lot) with his new DuskStik. Because I was the designer, I has the honor of the maiden flight. After about 15 seconds I handed the controls over to the boy. His simulator time showed because you couldn't tell he was a beginner. I've not flown the Gym-E but I suspect it is at least as easy to fly as the DuskStik.

One last thing, I saw a Rare Bear fly. Sweet! If that's what you want, I would not hesitate to buy from Hobby Lobby.

Doug Binder
Mountain Models
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Sep 06, 2002, 12:47 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoClimber
Just to add more to the list of factors, if you do go with a kit like the DuskStik or Todd's Gym-E, you will have built it so if you do crash bad, you will know how to fix it. ...
That's something that, while not often stated, is a big plus. Also, with a kit build, you have the skeleton balsa left over so that you're able to quickly scratch new ribs, etc if you need to

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter