Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:38 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Discussion
the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider

I have been flying pure gliders for 3 years. I started on a Great Planes Spirit then went to a Sagitta 600 then an Airtronics Legend and now a Polecat Thermal Dancer. Add to that my slope and hand launch and ... well I like gliders.

For the last two years I have spent most of my air time with the 3M full house planes, but this past Sunday I took out my 2M Spirit. I had the Thermal Dancer with me but the Spirit was first to the launch. The day was mild and the breeze was light. Perfect weather for my long neglected Spirit.

To make a long story short, I was at the field for 6 hours and I never took out the full house, 3M composite glider. The Spirit just flew wonderfully. It was finding lift on almost every launch. I spent so much time in the air that I checked the receiver battery. The Spirit sips power but I must have been in the air several hours.

Several times, as I was coming in for a landing, I had announced my intention to land, but the Spirit was not ready to land. It gave me a wink and a nod and showed me a thermal at tree height. I turned into the lift and up it went again. "Not Landing!" ( Oh, Ed is "not landing" again! Show off! )

I wasn't timing the flights but I am sure 10-15 minutes were pretty common. It took some work as the lift was there, then it was gone then it was back.

Easy flying, relaxing and beautiful to the eye. Never a bad behavior and I could actually look away and when I looked back it was dutifully circling in the lift. A real partner! A friend, too long missed and now found again.

I really like my 3M planes and unlimited competitions and slope wings and my parkflyers but the Spirit was my first sailplane. When the Spirit takes to the air I remember how much fun it was the very first time I put it into a thermal and how my heart raced and how excited I was then ... and now!

There is nothing like the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Very well put and very true. I have gone from 2m RE all the way through 3m and larger moldies, started sliding back into the larger RES woodies some a few years ago and in the last few months have been seriously thinking of building a 2m again. Have not flown one in a while with the exception of my wife's Gentle Lady but I can easily recall the fun and simple pleasure of birds that size. After I complete the projects I am involved in right now I'll have to start seriously shopping! All your fault, aeajr!!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:09 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Amen, brutha. I always take the ol' GL with me to the field
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:21 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Launching a Gentle Lady off a mild hi-start into a silent gentle breeze just after 9 am is like giving the sky a kiss. And if it is a nice kiss, the sky returns the affection by giving your plane a hug and invites you and it to sit a while on this thermal so you can visit with the birds.

Ain't life grand?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:32 AM
Permanently Banned
Dallas TX
Joined Oct 2004
1,551 Posts
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Launching a Gentle Lady off a mild hi-start into a silent gentle breeze just after 9 am is like giving the sky a kiss. And if it is a nice kiss, the sky returns the affection by giving your plane a hug and invites you and it to sit a while on this thermal so you can visit with the birds.

Ain't life grand?
Thank you for your artistic expressions of my basic philosophy. You totally realize my point of view!
histarter is offline Find More Posts by histarter
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
Lovely journelese! Sadly my kisses in the UK are more like those from my Solo (Black Labrador bitch), long, slow and VERY wet. As is the air just now! So now I fly from my local sea-cliff (approx 30M) and the dog follows the plane. Plenty of exercise for the mutt and I stand still. She gets excited when I land but, being a good retriever, wont touch it unless its dead!
Dave.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:11 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
I do a lot of slope soaring and I REALLY enjoy it but .... its different.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:32 PM
Broomfield, CO 80023
Joined Dec 2002
354 Posts
I have to agree with the sentiments above. I had my Mini Bird of Time out the other day and off the highstart - it's at least 15 years old. I had forgotten what a nice flyer it is .

John C
John_R_C is offline Find More Posts by John_R_C
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:06 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,741 Posts
I'm not much on the flat land flying, but I do love to toss my GL off the hill for some "Slermal" flying. Wilson Lake, Kansas is a great location for this. Great slopes, surronded by farmland.

Len
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Enjoying the thread, enjoying gliders...heck I enjoy life! Let me ask you this, do you find a 3M RES less of a simple, enjoyable gliding experience? I've only flown 2M gliders but am considering a 3+ Meter because I have trouble seeing the 2M once she gets out a bit.
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:58 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
3M RES is just like 2M RES but they typically fly better when the are a little larger. You need a little larger hi-start and perhaps a bit more landing space.
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 14, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:17 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,720 Posts
Nothing better than launching my Gentle Lady into a light breeze off the slope and wathcing it work the thermals. Yeap...life is good
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
This evening I went to pick up my runner-up plaque for the club Friday thermal comp (not that we have th. activity on the low land right on the coast!) I got it with my very old 4M RES Mistral beating a good number of mouldies and lighter 2 - 3M models. It dates from 1988 and has foam/veneer wings! Not the lightest but stays up 'cause its BIG. BTW all launch from identical hi-starts: 30M 3/8 tube + 150M of 100lb monofilament nylon fishing line.
Dave.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:40 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
282 Posts
Oh dear, what more to say......

My RE planes get more hours than the planes with ailerons, flaps etc. It's soooooo relaxing. Not just the flying, but the simplicity of it all as well. I've got an Electra with a Picolario on board. The vario is used to find sink to get the plane down some days.
Peytr is offline Find More Posts by Peytr
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:42 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peytr
The vario is used to find sink to get the plane down some days.