SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:07 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
197 Posts
Hi Guys

I am glad to hear that people are still buying these wonderful planes, I maidened my Fokker DVII in May 2012 and since then have flown over 150 flights. I installed a Turnigy 28 /30 1100 KV motor with a plywood motor mount on it and a 30 amp speed controller. The only modification I had to make was to lower the battery tray and a velcro strap for my 1300 mah batteries, it was just too tight of a squeeze with the Turnigy batteries. I was very nervous with my maiden flight as with my other planes ( PARKZONE Wildcat, ME-109, and UM P-51 Mustang) The Fokker hand launches as easy as my micro Mustang and has a lot of power with my motor set up, it is also a very responsive plane especially the rudder, I am using the Spektrum DX5.
The Fokker DVII is quite strong the only thing that was damaged was a small crack in the fuselage, two of the wing struts popped out once on a hard landing, one of the lower wing tips was slightly damaged ( when landing and one side of the planes wheels hits first noses over hits one wing tip then the other and sounds like you are beating a drum)Luckily that does not happen very often, and the last thing the landing gear, after some harder landings the struts would start to bow out then I would bend them back an so on, after I had 100 flights I took apart the landing gear, I hammered the landing gear struts straight and reinforced the back two with a CF strip, I glued it on filed it smooth and repainted the whole thing in Fire red, a perfect match, since then I haven't had any problems with the landing gear struts bending.
This summer one of the guys that flies at the park bought a Parkzone SE5a, they look great together, we were able to have mock dogfights They looked very good together, the SE5a was faster and the flight times were longer but otherwise they were similar.
Under the Christmas tree there is another red plane waiting for me a E-flite Mig-15, I had a chance to fly one this summer and wow what a plane!!

Thanks and enjoy Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
197 Posts
Hi guys

Here are a few pictures of my Fokker DVII

Thanks Sabastian
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,046 Posts
109 years of fixed-winged Aircraft

The Fokker D.VII is considered to have been the 'F14' of-the-day when in entered into service on January,1918.

This was a mere 15 years after Orville Wright piloted a gasoline-powered, propeller-driven biplane on the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft back in1903.
Max Headspeed is offline Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Last edited by Max Headspeed; Dec 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:10 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
Hi guys

Here are a few pictures of my Fokker DVII

Thanks Sabastian
Looks great! I like the black and white pictures.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,368 Posts
Back in 2009 I shot these. My Fokker DVII and SE-5 and Stew Meyers Camel
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Great photos, guys.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
197 Posts
The picture with the line up of three planes looks really good. I wonder how the three compare to each other? I have thought about getting the Great Planes Fokker DR1 some time in the near future.

Thanks Sabastian
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,368 Posts
I took those photos of the three lined up for Stew Meyers who did a review article on the Camel for Flying Models magazine a few years ago. He used some of my photos in the article.

Of the three planes--the DVII, Camel and SE-5--I personally think the SE-5 is the best of the lot--at least for me. I really enjoy flying it the most. The Fokker is not as maneuverable and rolls are slower, the Camel needed nose weight and is a bitch to land without tipping over. The SE-5 is just a real smooth plane. I have been flying mine for about 6 years and love it so much that I bought another when they were on sale at $84.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:35 AM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
970 Posts
If you are looking to get one of these little gems, don't forget the Nieuport. It flies great as well. I put BBs inside a few of the fake radial cylinders to get it to balance.

The SPAD XIII flies OK, but not smooth and relaxing like the N17. Mine seems to roll over or point its nose down every time I blink.
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Last edited by 10AE; Dec 26, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,368 Posts
Is it tail heavy?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
970 Posts
I don't think so. It balances per the manul and doesn't have a tendency to climb.

Could what I describe above be the result of being tail heavy? I could move the CG forward and experiment easily enough. I'd love to get it "right" as it is a beautiful plane.
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Surprised I never looked at this thread. The DVII was my first RC plane and it still survives! I figured out quick I had no business flying it so it collected dust until I was competent.

A year or so ago the motor ejected through the grill in mid flight when the firewall gave way. I somehow managed to land it with the motor hanging from the front. Been sitting since even though I have the new cowl to fix it. I got tired of looking at it so now I repairing it. Will post pics when done.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:47 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
Alan,

I seem to recall that the motor ejection issue happened with a lot of these. I still fly mine regularly and still enjoy it after six years of ownership.

Cheers,
Wayne
wemattson is offline Find More Posts by wemattson
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,368 Posts
Yes--had one on my SE-5--if I remember correctly, the cure was a filing a flat spot on the motor shaft of the recommended motor so the grub screw seated properly.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:12 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
I have the Fokker repaired but have not had time or favorable weather to fly it again. I put a wooden 10x6 prop on it to replace the slowflyer that had been on it. No need to post pics I guess since its stock other than a fabbed firewall and motor mount. The only mods I've done are dull cote paint and I enlarged the battery box.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe