HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2006, 05:03 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,932 Posts
I use some differential on the D.VII but no mixing. I fly helis so am used to coordinated flight.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
I fly helis so am used to coordinated flight.
Yep I really need to use the left stick more than I do.....My few short Heli flights taught me that!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,134 Posts
Maiden...

Just got back from a family visit to see my speed controller in the mail for my Fokker... I rushed down in the basement, wired it up, tested it (screwed up and about chopped my arm off, but thats another story) and checked the cg which was right on first try with the battery all the way forward.

Having been driving all day I did a warm up with my recently finished Stevens Adrenaline rush (3rd flight) and raced around a bit with some fast laps and rolls. After that, I grabbed the DVII, set it in the street (forgoing common sense and range checks) and put on some throttle. Lifted off in <10' at 1/2 throttle. Was surprised by some left roll on take off, so gave it some more juice with some right aileron and it was up.

Its amazing how loud the airframe is. It sounds like a gasser, but looks fabulous in flight; best looking plane I have I think.

I did a couple laps around the back yard, adding a bunch of up elevator trim and a couple clicks of ailerons. I have the throws set at the maximum recommended and its still easy to fly. It cruises around nice at 1/2 throttle.

I did one roll, and its too slow for comfort even at the high rates. I don't know the appropriate terms, but its instantaneous roll rate is great but the sustained rate is really slow. I guess thats where people use expo or something? (I've never used expo; I just get used to each plane as is). Anyway, I'm going to try a bit more throw and see if I can get the rates up. I didn't use any rudder in roll (not very good at that) but I'll practice.

Loops were nice and round, and hammerheads and stalls were fun and a visual treat. I did a couple mock landings to see where stall is, and finally flew it down (I did at least read about that!). I actually had a pretty perfect landing and rollout in the street, and relaxed at about 4mph whereupon it naturally flipped over (I was no longer holding up elevator) Doh!

Not quite a slowstick (i.e. hot stall landings in the driveway at my feet), but a nice addition to the fleet.

PS. What does differential ailerons do for you? would that help the roll rate?
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:54 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,932 Posts
If the airframe is making noise I would look into the prop balance. Mine is ghostly quiet with the Rimfire motor and a balanced prop.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:24 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
If the airframe is making noise I would look into the prop balance. Mine is ghostly quiet with the Rimfire motor and a balanced prop.
Gary
Hmm.. Ok, I'll check that.. holding it at full throttle I don't notice a lot of vibration.. Could just be my hearing.. I can also clearly hear the servos move and the esc hum in my planes as I fly around.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:14 PM
virginia
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Fokker D.vII

Make sure youe strut mounts-the ones that glue into the wing are not loose.
space ghost is offline Find More Posts by space ghost
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:08 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
I guess thats where people use expo or something? (I've never used expo; I just get used to each plane as is). Anyway, I'm going to try a bit more throw and see if I can get the rates up. I didn't use any rudder in roll (not very good at that) but I'll practice.
Remember it is a WWI fighter not WWII! On low rates it rolls much like the full scale (Guess here) and looks very real. I agree that it can use a bit more throw there. Rudder as you know helps a great deal! You generally use Expo to soften control inputs not increase them, but it can be used for that too. I would recommend more throw rather than expo to make it more sensitive.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:52 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Remember it is a WWI fighter not WWII! On low rates it rolls much like the full scale (Guess here) and looks very real. I agree that it can use a bit more throw there. Rudder as you know helps a great deal! You generally use Expo to soften control inputs not increase them, but it can be used for that too. I would recommend more throw rather than expo to make it more sensitive.

Mike
Thanks.. I suppose I'll leave it as is and learn to fly it that way.. I always like fast axial rolls because I never have to worry about other inputs to keep it in the air.. I don't yet have down the ailerons/rudder/elevator coordination needed for slow rolls.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:00 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
418 Posts
What kind of flight times are you guys getting with the stock setup and a TP 3-cell 1320 pack?

Thanks,
Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:29 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,134 Posts
Looking through my picture library, here's some gun detail. I took this shot at the Dayton (OH) airshow a couple years ago..
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:17 AM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
DR VII vs. SE5A

Recently a friend and I decided to get my DR VII and his SE5A up in the air at the same time...the pictures tell it all.

Thanks to my buddy Jim (CrashJim) for the picture and the editing and my friend Doug (victim,target..... ).
Both planes fly well on the recommended set-ups and look really cool in the air together. (Whats that behind me , some dog flying a doghouse ?!!)...gotta go
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
I always like fast axial rolls because I never have to worry about other inputs to keep it in the air.. I don't yet have down the ailerons/rudder/elevator coordination needed for slow rolls.
No biggy - just start adding rudder - do ONE roll only......and do it with some altitude. Just let it drop as much as it wants....you are at altitude so what if it loses some altitude.

Then start adding just a "bump" down elevator in the upside down portion and that kicks the nose up a bit.

It will do a barrel roll (not axial) but trust me that looks just right and you want that with a WW1 bird. Even most of the WW2 fighters are not axial they too had a fairly pronounced barrel type roll.

And slow is right - they burned up some air doing rolls!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:33 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
No biggy - just start adding rudder - do ONE roll only......and do it with some altitude. Just let it drop as much as it wants....you are at altitude so what if it loses some altitude.

Then start adding just a "bump" down elevator in the upside down portion and that kicks the nose up a bit.

It will do a barrel roll (not axial) but trust me that looks just right and you want that with a WW1 bird. Even most of the WW2 fighters are not axial they too had a fairly pronounced barrel type roll.

And slow is right - they burned up some air doing rolls!

Mike
Thanks for the tips.. My challenge is that I have about 100' of backyard to do it in, so my learning envelope gets used up fast! (my SU27 shocky could roll about 15 times in that span)... I could go to the park, but then it would be too easy!
Maybe I'll mix in a little rudder and then try the elevator bump.. I'll try it next time I fly - hopefully this weekend

** Edit **
BTW, the Eskay does draw around 14 amps static WOT, but it is never going to fly in that condition, so I think it still works fine.. It was warm after maiden, but not unduley so.
Last edited by spinnetti; Nov 28, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:08 PM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti
Thanks for the tips.. My challenge is that I have about 100' of backyard to do it in, so my learning envelope gets used up fast! (my SU27 shocky could roll about 15 times in that span)... I could go to the park, but then it would be too easy!
Maybe I'll mix in a little rudder and then try the elevator bump.. I'll try it next time I fly - hopefully this weekend

Use dual rates if you must and increase your aileron travel. My DVII rolls great but I have a ton of throw. I cannot say how much though as I have not measured it. Certainly think DOWN elevator when you are in the inverted portion of the rol. That is more important than the rudder I think because this will prevent you from losing altitude. Those 2 wings want to create lift and they do a good job upright and inverted! You must compensate for this. This plane actually flies inverted very well. Better than any DR-1 I have flown. It takes about 3\4 down elevator and some power to maintain altitude. This is really a wonderful plane and I hope they keep this one around for a while. I am sure I will need another one eventually.
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:52 AM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
removed

Figured it out...
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Last edited by gigelus2k3; Nov 29, 2006 at 04:33 AM.