RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2006, 04:27 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Finally

Thanksgiving is over, family and friends have gone. I got up this morning after looking at the weather forecast and announced in a a loud voice, "I am going to make the maiden flight on my D.VII today." Weather has been rainy but today was perfect! Low 60's light wind, could not have been better.

Did my range check. checked all controls once again, held some up elevator and started the motor. Rolled crisply through the grass and lifted off in about 10 feet. Climbed to altitude and relaxed the controls. Flew hands off right off the bench! Was doing stall turns and loops on the first flight. Inverted flight requires all the down elevator you can get and a fair amount of power but that is not a WW1 manuever. Mine does not seem to like inverted flight very well. All of the standard WWI manuevers it does just like it should. It is beautiful in the air. Flew 3 times before the sun got too low. Drew quite a crowd at the field.

Built stock except for the aileron linkage. I used the easy connectors in the aileron horns and made pushrods with a Z bend for the servo arm, HS55 servos, Hitec MS05 Micro Rx, Berg Sticky Antenna mounted on the bottom of the fuselage, CC25 speed control, TP1320 Prolites. Balanced with no weight necessary. Fun plane and glad I got it.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 25, 2006, 04:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Sounds good Gary - mine flew today for the first time as well.

eZone review comming soon - two pics for you now.....suffice it to say I am still grinning!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:25 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
PDA

Could you respond how it flys better then the SE5a? With only 2 ailerons I figured the SE5a would have a much better roll rate/aileron response.

Thanks

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:37 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Gary and Mike ,
What size motors and props? Or do I have to dig back in this thread to find out?
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Nov 25, 2006, 07:19 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
Mike,

Outstanding pics! It really is a fun plane to fly.

I think the SE5a is in general a more relaxing, easier plane to fly. I am now getting better rolls on the Fokker with the rates up more. I think the SE5a still rolls better and is more willing to be inverted. Also slows up more.

Still, the Fokker just looks much better in the air and with the rudder the agility of this plane is pretty awesome.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 25, 2006, 07:46 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
I am using the recommended Rimfire motor and the prop they suggest. Plenty of power on a TP1320 Prolite. Will vertical without problem but half throttle is perfect for scale performance.
Gary
Old Nov 25, 2006, 09:16 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
PDA
Could you respond how it flys better then the SE5a? With only 2 ailerons I figured the SE5a would have a much better roll rate/aileron response.
Tommy D
Ummm most planes only have two ailerons? OK I get it - the SE5a rolls faster. But the Fokker D.VII flies slower, is lighter, stays in turns better, does better stall turns, and loops. It is a bit easier to fly too. It too like the SE5a has plenty of aileron authority. But you are right it rolls slower.

Quote:
I think the SE5a is in general a more relaxing, easier plane to fly.
Actually I find the DVII more relaxing. Mine DVII is 3oz lighter than the SE5a - are yours closer in weight?

Quote:
Outstanding pics!
Thanks - or thank dawnron1 - he takes most all of my review shots for me. He has some great equipment and talent.

Let me come clean - they are both EXCELLENT fliers - no question. But different.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2006, 09:42 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Ummm most planes only have two ailerons?
PDA

Thanks for the photos but I feel like something is being lost in the translation here.

I saw both the SE5a and DVII at this years NEAT fair <pre-production models>. The DVII had like you stated TWO ailerons. However the SE5a had FOUR ailerons TWO on each wing.

That said I had assumed on high rates the SE5a would fly more like a sport bipe then a WWI warbird.

Then again with the ailerons on the DVII being all the way on the wingtips <with those lovely Fokker wings > it might not be a slouch either!

Thanks for the patience.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Tommy,
I have quite a bit of aileron deflection and some differential on high rate and my DVII rolls just fine. I prefer low rate on the ailerons and fly coordinated with the rudder as that is how the real plane and indeed most real planes are flown. I fly helis so coordinated flight comes naturally. After all the discussion here in this thread I just ordered an SE.5 so I can do my own comparision, like I need another plane
Gary
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:46 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
Oh yeah, you can't go wrong either way . They both fly very well and go together quick. Pick your side! Or just get both!

The Fokker is at 21.6 oz and the SE5a 21 oz.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:30 AM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
I have not flown the SE5, but the DVII flies like trainer if you ask me (and does not get much easier than that). It is quite aerobatic but still lands extremely slow. Based on this maybe the SE5 is easier to fly but I do not care as I want a DVII! The DVII has an infinitely more interesting history and offers many more colorful finish schemes if anyone is willing to pull off the existing monokote. If you purchase this plane I promise you will not be disapointed.
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
10 Posts
Just got one

Hi fellow fokkers
Has anybody used aileron diffrental and or alieron to rudder mixing?
Any input would be helpful as this is the last issue of my set-up
Thanks Steve
PHWSteven is offline Find More Posts by PHWSteven
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:34 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHWSteven
Hi fellow fokkers
Thanks Steve

On my SE5 I mix in about 40% rudder. It smooths out the turns very nicely.

Not sure on the Fokker.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:53 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHWSteven
Hi fellow fokkers
Thanks Steve
Yep I mix 35% on the Fokker and need to raise the SE5a to about that it is at about 15% now.

It really helps a great deal.......Unless you are a good left stick flyer like we all should be!

Mike
RCG Plus Member