HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:31 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
I got some more flights in today and am really starting to enjoy it. It's a nice plane to fly in between the Extras and Yaks. We flew right into dusk and at that time it looked great against the darkening sky. I turned up the rates and the rolls are better. I am not even going to try and land it on the gravel road anymore. Just bring it down and slow up as much as possible before plopping into the "arrestor' bushes. So far, works just fine.

Frank,

I am surprised you needed that much nose weight. I finally have the pack as far back as possible and it now seems like a good balance point.

For the aileron guide string it is a good idea to reach into the larger rib opening with a needle nose plier, grab the string and pull it back out the larger opening. Then your connector will easily go through the larger opening. Sorry, I don't think I had mentioned that.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
Here is the plane on the cg stand. I know it is kind of hard to see the contacts, but on the upshot view you should be able to get an idea. The plane flies very nicely balanced here.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:30 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
fokker ballance point

Thanks, that looks about like mine would have ballanced without the nose wight, with the short nose, it takes a lot of weight to make a small difference. Also, your top wing incidence does look angled down with respect to the bottom wing like mine, I'll just have to fly it and see how it goes. I do think I'll have to watch nose overs with that little forward weight, the gear location is such that it doesn't take much of a nose down position and it wants to go forward.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Got my first flight in

Well, I got my first flight in. You need to be very gentle on the throttle to keep the plane from ground looping, but I actually broke ground in about 20' at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. It needed full up trim, probably because of the nose weight I had to add, but set on the high recommended rates had good roll response and pitch response. Looked great in the air. One problem, I had my speed control cut the motor off after three minutes. I dead sticked it in and had a very nice landing with almost zero roll out, but of course it then hit a tiny pebble and nosed over, another crack in that stupid fragile cowl, probably the weakest part in the kit. I've reinforced it with tape now.

When i went over to check the model, the speed control beeped at me, like it was completely reset as when you plug the battery in, it is an electrifly silver series 25 amp control. I'm using a 10-4.5 slow flyer prop and 1320 TP battery with the recommended electrifly 950kv motor, so I'm sure I'm not over loading it. the speed control is mounted in the bay behind the firewall on the side of the fuse where airflow should be able to go over it.

I've had this happen twice before with another silver 25 speed control in a world models Voodoo mustang, I switched out the speed control to e-flite 25 amp control and haven't had a problem since. Has anyone else had this issue with these? We have a large pond around half of the flying site, and I hate dead sticks, especially on electrics. If the control overheats, does it completely reset where you have to run the stick down fully, up fully, then back down again? Could it be overheating anyway or are they just flaky?

This happened with three diffrerent xmitters, three different batteries and three different receivers, the only common part was the speed control type.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
another thing....

BTW, my pilot "Bruno" is wearing a nice white scarf that flutters in the wind
and he is also wearing his(painted on) Blue Max, although it's hard to see it, Bruno and I know it is there
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
Got mine.....

I got mine a couple days ago.. was going to hold off while I built a vac forming machine, but couldn't resist...

Mines all done except the motor install.

Echoing several other comments, but worth bring up with great planes.....

1. Aileron servo linkages are too short if you build like they show (horn centered in opening. I just made up a couple longer ones, but used their method.. works very well.

2. Aileron wire chase string is impossbile to route servo wires that way; I just fished it around to the bigger opening. It worked fine, but I hate fishing wires.

3. The little horns for the interplane struts were marked wrong.. had to go by the pictures.

4. Radio hatch access difficult once gear is on. Would be better with two dowels on the back end, and the screws just in front (where you can get to them).

Overall:
> A bit nervous about no shock protection on the landing gear.. A rough landing will beat it up won't it?
> Built like a brick; I can't believe how strong it is. If you break this one, you probably earned it! I bet they could lighten it up a couple oz and still be plenty strong. I wonder if this was intended as a gasser?
> Construction and covering job were top notch - not a flaw anywhere.
> I wish it was more "ARF".. they should do like real airplane companies and call these "Quick build" kits.
> Odd that some decals on, some off, some holes pre-drilled, some not etc.

I hope to fly it by this weekend after I make up a motor mount.
Anybody using a Eskay 400XT?
** Edit ** Eskay works fine.. Amps are a bit high, but just don't hang it on the prop at zero airspeed and its fine
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Nov 28, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Anybody using a Eskay 400XT?
Nope but I am curious to know if it is enough....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel
Elfwreck - can you post some pics of your motor installation? It would of great interest to me and many others I'm sure. I'll be picking up one of these beauties today!

Cheers!
Hey now,
You want pictures? Of a flat triangular piece of plywood with eight holes drilled in it? Dude! Um, I'm not web savey enough to get the thing to load right o.k. I'm an idiot, I admit it. But this really is a simple fix as I wrote it up. Really, just try following my instructions and it'll work fine.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:16 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
New speed control works fine now

Well, I went back to the lhs at lunch and swapped that silver series 25 amp controller for a castle phoenix 25 plus some $$. Put it together and swapped out the landing gear screws and radio hatch screws for some hex heads, so I can use my ball driver. One stupid thing is that to get at the radio, you have to remove the landing gear, and it's hard to get at two of the landing gear screws once the landing gear wing is in place

Anyway, we had about 10 mph winds, so of course I flew anyway since I have no self control. Had a very nice takeoff and flight, it handles the wind quite well, I actually cut the throttle and it hovered in the head wind nicely, landed after 7 minutes with about 1/3 throttle till touch down.

It sure is a sweatheart and looks just great.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:04 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel
Elfwreck - can you post some pics of your motor installation? It would of great interest to me and many others I'm sure. I'll be picking up one of these beauties today!

Cheers!
Kudos to elfwreck and his post #84.

Serban
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigelus2k3
Kudos to elfwreck and his post #84.

Serban
Ha! You beat me too it.

I decided to go with the Eskay400XT since its on the bench, and made a motor mount tonight.

Despite the fact that I have 3d cad (solidworks) and a cnc mill, I just taped the provided mount to a hunk of aluminum, drilled the holes on a mini drill press, put the other mount on, drilled again, did some sanding on the grinder and viola! Took me about an hour, most of that griding and dipping in a bucket of water to keep from frying my fingers off.

Its shown here mounted on my Eskay400XT, with an APC 10x4.7 that I hit with a brown sharpie, then smeared with my finger; came out better than the picture shows, and finally a home made prop saver to go with it.
I'll finish wiring up and maybe maiden on Wednesday if the weather cooperates.

** Edit **
Here's a couple other pics.. I used some spray paint and a sharpie to add some black shadows/details, and some rubber tubing slit in half to make the border around the cockpit. The pilot is the old one from my Wattage Eindecker, and saved me from painting the one it came with. I wasn't sure exactly how to mount the guns, but I didn't like the balsa piece just stuck on top, so I cut it out and recessed it in (Much better). Looks like I will be right at 22oz AUW.
Last edited by spinnetti; Nov 20, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:08 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Its shown here mounted on my Eskay400XT, with an APC 10x4.7
Let me know how that works - what battery 2s or 3s? Pretty big prop for that motor...

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:26 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Let me know how that works - what battery 2s or 3s? Pretty big prop for that motor...

Mike
3s.. it's only a 4.7..

I run the same motor in the 13oz FSK FW190 you can see in the picture with a 9x7 3 blader on 2s, and the 19oz Me109G on the wall there with a 9x7 3blade on 3s and it's hardly loaded (neither motor or battery is warm on landing) - shouldn't be an issue.

I'll give it a try and see what happens. If motocalc is close, it should do just fine.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:00 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
You might want to stick a meter on it - you might be surprized! I use a 9x5GWS HD prop for about 110w (10w over it's max). I have also used a 8x6 GWS HD on it for about 120w but that is as far as I push it.

I suspect with the 10x4.7 you are 13-14amps! But it is a $20 motor afterall - not a huge risk!

I have a Skatty sitting around - let me know how you like it, I just may join you!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
You might want to stick a meter on it - you might be surprized! I use a 9x5GWS HD prop for about 110w (10w over it's max). I have also used a 8x6 GWS HD on it for about 120w but that is as far as I push it.

I suspect with the 10x4.7 you are 13-14amps! But it is a $20 motor afterall - not a huge risk!

I have a Skatty sitting around - let me know how you like it, I just may join you!

Mike
Thats not overdriving much, and there's always that funny little stick that goes up and down - it can be kept off 100% most of the time

In either case, I'll probably meter it static tomorrow when I hope to get my speeed control, and see in flight..

** Edit **.... Even though its cheap, I never like to distroy machinery - a lot of work goes into them. Good call on amps.. Its about 14 amps static, but I don't hang on the prop at WOT, so it seems to work fine (where did you get that number? - Motocalc only guessed 10 amps)
Last edited by spinnetti; Nov 28, 2006 at 08:41 PM.