HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Edgewood, KY (Cincinnati)
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
I wondered about the wheels myself. But, I'll probably destroy the landing gear struts before I wear out the wheels! Hopefully my landings will get better.
Bruno Stachel is offline Find More Posts by Bruno Stachel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts
Thanks for the input on the Rimfire guys.

In relation to the balsa cowl I made for the DVII, I am wanting to give the cowl a finish that will resist blemishes as we all know balsa can get dents and gouges in it quite easily. I don't think simply painting it will fix that. Can anyone advise what a good option may be? I was almost thinking about brushing on a thin coat of thin CA or alcahol thinned epoxy just to harden the surface slightly. I know I need to keep an eye on weight so I am not sure if this would be a good option. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Phil
VAScrats is offline Find More Posts by VAScrats
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Eskay 400XT on 2S Lipo

Hi,
I was wondering if the 2s Lipo and the Eskay 400xt will work in the D-VII? I was wanting to use this motor but my 3s Lipo is a 10C 1100 mAH and probably won't take the higher current. I have some 2s 1320 mAH that should work. I was planning on using the 1047 APC prop.
Thanks for your comments.
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:37 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Hi,
I was wondering if the 2s Lipo and the Eskay 400xt will work in the D-VII? I was wanting to use this motor but my 3s Lipo is a 10C 1100 mAH and probably won't take the higher current. I have some 2s 1320 mAH that should work. I was planning on using the 1047 APC prop.
Thanks for your comments.
Ray
I run a 1047 and 947 on 3s with the 400xt, and it does great, but 2s? Maybe with the 10x6 or something, but it would be marginal I think - if you have motocalc, run the numbers and see.. if not, its a good investment..
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
400xt

Thanks Spinetti.
What capacity lipos do you use that fit in the D-Vii?
Thanks,
Ray
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:20 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Spinetti.
What capacity lipos do you use that fit in the D-Vii?
Thanks,
Ray
I use a 1300 "hextronic" from china. The plane will fit practically any battery.. I mounted it the normal way, but eventually I just knocked out the whole tray and mounted it vertically with some foam hot glued in to block it in place.

Motor comes down smoking hot even on the 9x47 and the battery pretty warm too. This motor is really too small for this application, but hasn't failed me yet. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't push it over 10 amps. If I remember right, I pull around 12 with the 947 and 14 with 1047. the motor and 947 has plenty of power for more than scale flight, but it just gets too hot to touch.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
THanks Spinneti,
Just one more question how much thrust should the motor have fo the D-VII? UH has a TowerPro motor (2410-08Y) that looks like it might work well with a 1047 prop.
Thanks,
Ray
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:38 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
THanks Spinneti,
Just one more question how much thrust should the motor have fo the D-VII? UH has a TowerPro motor (2410-08Y) that looks like it might work well with a 1047 prop.
Thanks,
Ray
That motor is right at the top of its power rating and will probably work, but if you have a 400xt, I'd just use that. Both motors are a bit undersized for this plane.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
151 Posts
What About A Park 400/ 30amp Esc, & 2200 3s ?

ANYONE ?
BUCKSHOTRC is offline Find More Posts by BUCKSHOTRC
Last edited by BUCKSHOTRC; Nov 09, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:47 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts
Spinnetti,

Have you given any more thought to making those DVII cowls? gd

I was working on my balsa one but I may have to redo it. The project started without the initial intent on it actually turning out but when it took shape I went ahead and kept going with it. I got it painted and all and when I went to put it on I found that with the motor cocked to the side a bit for thrust, the prop comes too close to my cowl. Bummer. I think I will take what I learned from the first one and make a second attempt. I'll have to admit I had fun trying anyway!
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:48 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts
Oops , I have no idea how the 'gd' ended up in that post, please ignore!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hi all. Looks like this plane has a good fan base and lot's of you love it. After reading through this thread I picked one up at the hobby shop last week. It looks nice, but I must have got the friday afternoon before quitting time unit. The covering is applied pretty bad compared to most planes I have purchased before...it is wrinkled horribly all over the fuselage. I ironed most of them out, but the seam on the sides of the fuselage where the white meets the red...right aft of the cockpit...looks like chit. I might have to cut that portion out and try to recover it, or hide it somehow. The wings arn't too bad thank goodness.
I think I will go with the recomended Rimfire motor. I will definitely be using a CC Thunderbird 18esc and see that I will need the 2-3mm adapters. Do these adapter work ok? Any troubles to be aware of?
The only motor in my parts bin that isn't being used is a Park 400 outrunner. I saw an earlier post where someone was going to use this motor, but never noticed any flight reports. It seems like it might not be strong enough for this model. Just wondering before I order the Riimfire. I remember the Park 400 motor as only being a 10amp motor I believe.
Trying to recap....are there any "must do's" for this model as I build it? I will be flying it off of a paved surface.
Thanks for any suggestions...glad to be one of you WW1 buffs!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,048 Posts
This site will help you. Check out the review link.
I enjoyed putting it all together and have it fly and looks good doing it is what its all about. They are sweet to fly. Take-offs and landing are the tricky parts but you can almost float this B1-RD to the ground most of the time.
I used all recommended accessories except I'm using four HS55 servos.
Good luck on your build.
Hint: If your finished product looks like the picture on the box you did a good job.
If it doesn't then the picture on the box must be wrong. Either way just slap a battery in it and put it in the sky! We like pics.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1141.html
Max Headspeed is online now Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:55 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,260 Posts
I returned my first D.VII to Tower beacuse the red covering wouldn't tighten up. They didn't argue and the paid the S&H.

The Rimfire uses only the prop-saver screws to retain the shaft in the motor against the forward thrust of the prop. Some of us have had the motor spit the shaft all the way out in flight. I think this weakness in the motor design is exacerbated by the frequent nose-overs you'll get if you fly off of grass, especially during takeoff. If the prop strikes the ground on TO and is stalled, the rotor will spin on the shaft; you can hear it squeal. The shaft has no flats on it for the screws to bear on, you see. I turned the shaft around in mine to put the split-ring retainer at the rear.

Other than that, the Rimfire has plenty of power and those adapters have been trouble free. I use a 10x7 APC SF prop, fly it at half throttle except for vertical maneuvers.

Cheers,

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:53 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAScrats
Spinnetti,

Have you given any more thought to making those DVII cowls? gd

I was working on my balsa one but I may have to redo it. The project started without the initial intent on it actually turning out but when it took shape I went ahead and kept going with it. I got it painted and all and when I went to put it on I found that with the motor cocked to the side a bit for thrust, the prop comes too close to my cowl. Bummer. I think I will take what I learned from the first one and make a second attempt. I'll have to admit I had fun trying anyway!
Yeah, but had some other projects intervene and haven't got back on it. You could actually make a "buck" (just carve something up) and manually pull hot styrene over it pretty easy if you want to make some - I know I went through a number of the "factory" ones. Hopefully I'll catch up on some of that stuff this winter. My vac former design needs some tweaks to reduce the scrap I'm making too...