SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2006, 05:53 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Mike
You're a champion, I'll finish a few projects and see what the go is. Thanks for the kind offer.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2006, 02:11 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT:

Got the maiden in and then had to work tonight, hence the late post.

Conditions were overcast with little to no wind for the hunt....

As you can see the field I fly at has a rough landing surface. The DVII handled this fine for take-offs. Rolled out in 6-10 feet. Climb was strong and similar to the SE5a (same power system).

On the initial flight I needed four clicks of up elevator and the plane seemed to be flying fast-felt a little nose heavy in fact. I was pretty sure I had the cg at the recommended spot. Only 2 clicks of aileron trim was needed. For the second flight I moved the battery back into the middle of the compartment and that helped a little. I think it was still a little nose heavy and next time I will place the battery at the furthest aft position.

Being nose heavy this may bias the feel. But I will say the plane while easy to fly needed more speed than the SE5a. Turns were best with some rudder input. Even when I had the throws on the ailerons turned up the rolls were sloppy afairs-keep some altitude. The plane could turn on a dime however with rudder and stall turns were very nice. Loops were good.

I did feel like slowing down too much would drop a wing, but I didn't try to really stall test it as the light was low and I wasn't going to take that chance. So, that is still on the list.

The first landing I came in nice with a gentle touchdown and the plane rolled out...then it hit a rock and flipped . Nose heaviness probably didn't help there. There was no damage. I'd sum up that landing in a Kerryesque way-I actually did land it well before I landed it poorly...

So, for the second flight I dropped it into the tall bushes which while kind of ugly did not risk the airplane! If you have an unimproved field, be careful. Grass might be OK as long as it is short. There is not alot of clearance.

After just two flights, I would say the SE5a is easier to fly, slows up more and has better roll authority. It's also probably better in the stall. But I need to try once more with the Fokker's cg back more and see if that helps. I will say the Fokker looks great in the air! It also has great rudder authority and if you use it this plane will corner sharply. For relaxing flight right now I'd go with the SE5a.

I will be interested to hear other impressions once you guys get yours into the air.

Thanks to Chuck from CME for snapping the pics!

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:33 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,756 Posts
echoplanar: Thanks for all your help. Congrats, looks like a beautiful plane.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
cool ....

Congrats on the maiden .

continued good luck and happy hunting
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,971 Posts
Jon,
Thanks for the shots and flight report. Regarding the roll rate add more deflection and use some differential. I had to do that on a nitro DR1 I had many years ago.

A big box just arrived and it is raining. Guess what I will be doing this afternoon and evening
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Jon

Congrats on a successful first flight. It looked great in the pictures.

Keith

I just noticed your post that pointed out my use of D VIII instead of D VII. I could claim it was a simple typo, except I did it every time. I can assure you that I know the difference, so the only possible explaination is a defective keyboard. I will take the current keyboard out, smash it and replace it with a new one. Hopefully, that will correct the problem. My first builtup model (at age 8 back in 1951) was a Comet dime scale Fokker D VII. I wish I had a picture of that plane when it was finished. I now have an Aerodrome kit and a Dare kit awaiting build, but I went out and bought the Electrifly D VII as well. I used the rational that it will help me learn to fly the D VII so that I will be ready to fly the kit built airplanes when I finish them. Another possible (but not likely) explaination is that I am lazy and want the instant gratification of owning a beautiful WW I model with very little effort on my part. I wish that brown truck would hurry up and arrive.

Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:07 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Received mine on Friday, but unfortunately it was damaged. Not by shipping, but it was packaged with a crushed fuselage and lower wing. Now I get to send it back for a replacement. I hope Tower isnít out by then.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:23 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
Jon

Congrats on a successful first flight. It looked great in the pictures.

Keith

I just noticed your post that pointed out my use of D VIII instead of D VII. I could claim it was a simple typo, except I did it every time. I can assure you that I know the difference, so the only possible explaination is a defective keyboard. I will take the current keyboard out, smash it and replace it with a new one. Hopefully, that will correct the problem. My first builtup model (at age 8 back in 1951) was a Comet dime scale Fokker D VII. I wish I had a picture of that plane when it was finished. I now have an Aerodrome kit and a Dare kit awaiting build, but I went out and bought the Electrifly D VII as well. I used the rational that it will help me learn to fly the D VII so that I will be ready to fly the kit built airplanes when I finish them. Another possible (but not likely) explaination is that I am lazy and want the instant gratification of owning a beautiful WW I model with very little effort on my part. I wish that brown truck would hurry up and arrive.

Gerry
Gerry:

No prob with the DVIII and DVII Thought maybe I was missing something. I have a Eflight coming and already have a Sig DVII with no ailerons and very little diehedral it takes a country mile to turn it around. Bank it hard and your really in do do.

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:35 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,971 Posts
Buran,
Sorry about your misfortune. I hope you called them right away and let them know to hold one for you. Tower is very good about such things. I have had them ship anew even before they received the damaged parts in return.
Gary
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:39 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Thanks guys-I think that was my fastest build (if you can call it that ) and maiden. I really love ww1 planes and hope we continue to see more! I am looking forward to hearing what you guys think of the plane once you are flying-also hope to see great detailing as some pilots are doing on their SE5a's! Great stuff!

Gary,
Thanks for the suggestion-I will try that.

Buran,
Sorry to hear about the damage-I am sure they will set you right quickly.

-Jon
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:14 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,971 Posts
Jon,
I am sitting here looking at these hinges. I went ahead and did all the strut work, landing gear, motor etc. I have never seen hinges like this before. I thought of using some Dubro but the wood is so thin I am afraid it will ruin the surfaces. How did you hinge and did you use the supplied hinges? Are they used as single pieces or is that thing in the middle the hinge point? Thanks for any advice.
Gary
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Jon,
I am sitting here looking at these hinges. I went ahead and did all the strut work, landing gear, motor etc. I have never seen hinges like this before. I thought of using some Dubro but the wood is so thin I am afraid it will ruin the surfaces. How did you hinge and did you use the supplied hinges? Are they used as single pieces or is that thing in the middle the hinge point? Thanks for any advice.
Gary
I did use the supplied CA hinges. Each one is single piece so you need to break them apart. You should have 13 I think (3 for each aileron, 4 for the elevator and 3 for the rudder).

I insert each one half way into the slot of a control surface and tack it with a tiny drop of CA. Then carefully put the control surface in place-be careful the hinge doesn't slide! It shouldn't since it is partially fixed. Control surface should have just a thin gap and move freely. You should just see a little bit of the hinge when you deflect the surface. At this point if I am happy with the position, I add another 2-3 small drops of thin CA to the hinge from each side while it is deflected (so I can see the hinge well enough). That's it-make sure it moves OK and give it a gentle tug after the CA dries to be sure it won't pull out (never good in flight ) and you are done. I think these hinges work well and are fast to put in. The plastic hinge probably would work too but you might need to cut more wood out and it will be more effort to align them up. The slots they cut for the hinges are really wide and there is alot of room to work-I just put each on in the middle. For the rudder I did have to lengthen slightly two of the slots on the fuselage to fit the hinge.

I hope that helps.

-Jon
Last edited by echoplanar; Nov 14, 2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:34 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,971 Posts
Jon,
Thanks a lot for the info. I just had a hard time getting my head around a hinge that is only about 1/4 wide. There is enough of them so it should be okay though. Work progressing nicely now
Again thanks,
Gary
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Jon,
Thanks a lot for the info. I just had a hard time getting my head around a hinge that is only about 1/4 wide. There is enough of them so it should be okay though. Work progressing nicely now
Again thanks,
Gary
No problem-they are small but have good strength in numbers.

-Jon
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:55 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wilson
Gerry:

No prob with the DVIII and DVII Thought maybe I was missing something. I have a Eflight coming and already have a Sig DVII with no ailerons and very little diehedral it takes a country mile to turn it around. Bank it hard and your really in do do.

...Keith...
Keith
My Sig DVII is stock built except for a GWS 350 g/box for power. Strange thing is it turns on a dime, without exaggeration it almost stops in midair and swings around then carries on if I pull hard left or right. Weird how the same plane can exhibit differant characters but also part of the fun I suppose.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss