HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:45 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Thank you for the disertation on washout but I can assure as a life long modeler and a former free flighter I fully understand washout and wing construction. The D.VII is not prone to tip stalling if assembled correctly. The ones flying here have never exhibited this tendency. It will fly quite slowly without tip stalling. Yes it does require using the rudder just as its full scale bretheren did. I am a multi-rated CIFI so do have some knowledge of aerodynamics and flying...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
The D.VII is not prone to tip stalling if assembled correctly. The ones flying here have never exhibited this tendency. It will fly quite slowly without tip stalling.
Fully agree - mine is a gem...no washout or lifted ailerons.....

Still a handful to land on a grass strip without flipping over! I keep forgetting to switch to high rates for more elevator authority....

My rough field does not help either!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Thank you for the disertation on washout but I can assure as a life long modeler and a former free flighter I fully understand washout and wing construction. The D.VII is not prone to tip stalling if assembled correctly. The ones flying here have never exhibited this tendency. It will fly quite slowly without tip stalling. Yes it does require using the rudder just as its full scale bretheren did. I am a multi-rated CIFI so do have some knowledge of aerodynamics and flying...
Gary
Ops, sorry Gary...

I have lots of respect for Free Flyer (Fighter) types it's an art form!

Well, I am beginning to suspect a shot down from either RF interference at the club I attempted to fly this fine model or someone inadvertently turned on a transmitter nearby. Other members have complained in the past about lost RC models in more or less the same area and because of the club's close proximity to the Orlando International Airport it maybe that some line of sight RF equipment might be blanking our narrow band FM receivers (using Hitec Electron-6 dual conversion)?

Thereby, wash out issues are perhaps not founded.

Anyway, here's my VIDEO of today's flight and I will leave all the details of the flight for you all to see instead of writing a lengthly write-up

VIDEO!!

EDIT: Here's the FULL VERSION including the landing!
http://media.putfile.com/Great-Plane...I-Full-Version
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Mar 20, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Holy post count batman(guapoman2000) !
I was the person at my club that posted pictures of our weekend adventures when those early days when you only could post one picture at a time....several years ago.

Okay Robbin Now get me the Bat Belt
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:51 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Ops, sorry Gary...

I have lots of respect for Free Flyer (Fighter) types it's an art form!

Well, I am beginning to suspect a shot down from either RF interference at the club I attempted to fly this fine model or someone inadvertently turned on a transmitter nearby. Other members have complained in the past about lost RC models in more or less the same area and because of the club's close proximity to the Orlando International Airport it maybe that some line of sight RF equipment might be blanking our narrow band FM receivers (using Hitec Electron-6 dual conversion)?

Thereby, wash out issues are perhaps not founded.

Anyway, here's my VIDEO of today's flight and I will leave all the details of the flight for you all to see instead of writing a lengthly write-up

VIDEO!!

EDIT: Here's the FULL VERSION including the landing!
http://media.putfile.com/Great-Plane...I-Full-Version
Hey Carlos:

You got a GREAT! cameraman, very smooth.

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wilson
Hey Carlos:

You got a GREAT! cameraman, very smooth.

...Keith...
Thanks Keith!

I have a pretty good hand myself for Video and you can view others at:

http://www.putfile.com/guapoman2000/media

Enjoy!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:46 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Yeah nice vid...the plane looks pretty fast. I'm gonna have to give this thing wirl.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:00 AM
Bensenville, Ill. United States
Joined Nov 2003
627 Posts
Nice video Carlos.
Got my Foker all assembled except for the motor and ESC. LHS is waiting on backorder from GP. Hooked up the alerons and did away with the 2 piece control rod in favor of .047 wire and Dubro EZlinks and EZ connecters. Just didn't like 2 piece rods and shrink tubing, also I used full size CA hinges instead of the small ones that come with the kit. Got the idea from Mike Lee who wrote a great review in the April issue of Quietflyer. If you guys are getting interference like that maybe its time to switch to a 2.4G system.

Jim....
Jim Mayer is offline Find More Posts by Jim Mayer
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:15 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mayer
Nice video Carlos.
Got my Foker all assembled except for the motor and ESC. LHS is waiting on backorder from GP. Hooked up the alerons and did away with the 2 piece control rod in favor of .047 wire and Dubro EZlinks and EZ connecters. Just didn't like 2 piece rods and shrink tubing, also I used full size CA hinges instead of the small ones that come with the kit. Got the idea from Mike Lee who wrote a great review in the April issue of Quietflyer. If you guys are getting interference like that maybe its time to switch to a 2.4G system.

Jim....
Jim,

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the video! Did you hear us making the Machine Gun sounds....grown men playing with a little 34 inch wing span (ops 36 inch wing span if you include extended ailerons) ! Well, we are kids at heart for some things

Thanks, I will look up this review and perhaps make my model even more reliable and sound.

Yes, indeed this Club near the Airport in Orlando has claimed several models and with different channels (Channel 51 was the worse) and certainly been trying to get the Spread Sprectrum DX7 in eBay but, these things are going for hot prices (just the Transmitter and charger).

I am moving to another project as I have successfully flown, crashed, rebuilt, and re-maiden this nice little scale WW-I German fighter!

Thanks all, especially for your patience from all my posts and pictures!

See you all around the threads!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:36 AM
Bensenville, Ill. United States
Joined Nov 2003
627 Posts
Well just talked to the LHS and was told the motors are on BO until late Apr. and the ESCs until mid Apr. Guess I'll look around elsewhere
Jim Mayer is offline Find More Posts by Jim Mayer
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:10 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mayer
Well just talked to the LHS and was told the motors are on BO until late Apr. and the ESCs until mid Apr. Guess I'll look around elsewhere
Jim,

Tower Hobby has the recommended RIM FIRE in stock (Great Planes Rimfire 28-30-950 Out-Runner) which will propel both the Fokker and S.E.5a with ease unless you are talking about another motor?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWT6&P=ML
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:12 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Jim,
Order the motor from Tower. I have it in my D.VII with the black 10x4.5 slo-fly prop and it flies just fine.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:27 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I am going to certainly try to install a quality wooden propeller to make this wonderful looking Fokker RC Model look reasonably scale with it's true Wooden Propeller appearance.

Here's one suggestive brand/size/pitch assuming the hub of the propeller is not that thick or otherwise, I would need to seek a longer shank prop adapter.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ912&P=7

Here's some history about the Fokker, it seems like it was a very advanced WW-I fighter for it's time and it was pretty fast for a bi-plane...and I will quote, "Approximate speed for these two versions was 124mph and 117mph respectively"

http://www.jetplanes.co.uk/vintageai.../fokkerd7.html

EDIT:

Seems like the S.E.5a was faster!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_A..._Factory_S.E.5

Here's the wikipedia for the Fokker DVII:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.VII
Last edited by guapoman2000; Mar 21, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,981 Posts
TA-DA !!!

Nothing against red, but I grew tired of it after seeing so many red DVII's. I decided I'd do my "own thing". I wanted something different.

Nothing scale about it. It's my fantasy color scheme. I was just going to replace the red with blue, then got carried away and removed all the covering except the tail. Then I couldn't find any white to replace it, so I went with grey. By the way the wood under the covering is excellent quality. The glue joints are very tight.

The covering is Ultracoat. I still need to add cockpit combing,... later. DANG, I just noticed I forgot to add engine side panels.
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:26 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Very nice custom job NO STEP!

She looks super in that paint scheme!

Hey, anyone know where one can buy some scale light Plastic Machine Guns like these....... or that look very close...