Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
How are the "stock" motors? I haven't used a Rimfire motor before...Thanks!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:57 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,870 Posts
UPS has mine for delivery Monday. Can't wait to get started
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
I would also like to hear opinions about motor selection. I have an AXI (2212-20) but I do not think that is a good wind for this plane. Any suggestion would be apreciated as I will need to buy a new motor. The nice thing about the rimfire and GP speed controllers is they come with pre-wired connectors. I have one on the way so hopefully I will see it next week.
I sure would like to put some Losenge covering on it but I also want to just go fly as well. I reall do not like the red. Way to common.
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:16 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,870 Posts
I have other motors but I ordered the Rimfire they suggest. I plan on using a CC25 ESC. The motor has goofy connectors so I ordered the adaptors so I can use the 3.5's that are on the ESC already. Others have said the motor works fine. As for the color I don't believe any D.VII's were ever painted in that scheme. I have been searching for other color schemes. I really am not too worried about the color as I am the only electric flyer who goes to the field with any regularity. The only warbirds that show up are WW2.
Gary
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Quote:
I would also like to hear opinions about motor selection. I have an AXI (2212-20) but I do not think that is a good wind for this plane.
just my opinion ,,, but the 2212/20 would do just fine ... somewhere around an 8.5 x6 throttled back and you'd have ample cruise + enough to get a little wild if the mood struck .I fly the /20 on 4 different models .... one motor is over 3 years old and going strong...

on the se5a I'm using the recommended rimfire and performance is very nice...

take care
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:09 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Actually, the D VIII scheme looks pretty authentic to me. The markings are for Jasta 18 "Staffel Raben" who received their Fokker D VIIIs in July 1918 and were based at Montiingen, east of Metz to intercept enemy bomber formations. Staffelfuhrer August Raben (Raven) was their leader and there is a photograph showing their ready shack decorated the same as their airplanes, red and white with ravens all over it. Another photo shows 11 Fokker D VIIIs lined up, all in a similar paint scheme. I'm not sure who the pilot was of the model represented by Great Planes D VIII, but I suspect it is authentic as everything looks right. The underside of the wings should probably be lozenge and all the planes look to have a white scallop paint job on the front of the cowl, but for an ARF, it looks pretty good. All this info from Ospreys's book "Fokker D VIII Aces of WW I part 2" by Norman Franks and Greg VanWyngarden I ordered one of the D VIII kits.

Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:37 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
The DVIII is the single wing parasol fighter that came out after the DVII.

Gary
The paint scheme is as real as the plane is, I have a photo from WW1 that shows the DVII's of Rabens mob lined up in front of a hanger. There are some with the red front and white rear and some with a white front and red rear, the raven on the side is alternatively black and white. The photo is of course b/w but I imagine the dark colour is red.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
Yes, I agree that the colors are probably acurate the problem is I just do not like them because of thier commonality. I am currently building a 1\4 scale BUSA and I will be covering it with Glenn Torrence fabric in the Rudolph Stark scheme. (losenge and puple trim)
I will most likely end up leaving the plane covered red mainly because it is always tough for me to remove a pefectly functional covering job. It would be nice to get one as an ARC.
One more note on the Raben scheme, you sometimes see models using this scheme but in blue. It is pretty much understood that the color was red though.
If anyone is interested in some great documentation, get a hold of the Windsock data files on the DVII.
I am just very happy to see this model produced. I truly love this size.
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Nov 11, 2006, 07:31 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,706 Posts
It's a little tight getting the receiver in and getting all the wires out of the way. The lead exiting the fuse is for the aileron y-connector. This one has just the top wing ailerons.

There are 4 pairs of strut anchors, a, b, c , and d. It is a little hard to read some of them, but you can pretty much tell if it is correct by fitting it into the wing.

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 11, 2006, 07:48 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,870 Posts
Thanks guys for correcting me. Good to hear it is reasonably close to being accurate. I will have a look at those sites.
Gary

EDIT:
Found a nice link.

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/fokker-dvii.htm
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; Nov 12, 2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:47 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
echoplanar,
What does the tail skid look like? I hope its better then the Se-5a.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
Actually, the D VIII scheme looks pretty authentic to me. The markings are for Jasta 18 "Staffel Raben" who received their Fokker D VIIIs in July 1918 and were based at Montiingen, east of Metz to intercept enemy bomber formations. Staffelfuhrer August Raben (Raven) was their leader and there is a photograph showing their ready shack decorated the same as their airplanes, red and white with ravens all over it. Another photo shows 11 Fokker D VIIIs lined up, all in a similar paint scheme. I'm not sure who the pilot was of the model represented by Great Planes D VIII, but I suspect it is authentic as everything looks right. The underside of the wings should probably be lozenge and all the planes look to have a white scallop paint job on the front of the cowl, but for an ARF, it looks pretty good. All this info from Ospreys's book "Fokker D VIII Aces of WW I part 2" by Norman Franks and Greg VanWyngarden I ordered one of the D VIII kits.

Gerry
Gerry:

Do you mean DVII or DVIII?
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,706 Posts
Mike,

It's a wood skid.

-Jon
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:52 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,706 Posts
All finished and ready for the maiden if the weather cooperates...

AUW is 21.6 oz with the 3 cell 1320 pack.

I have to say this is a very nice ARF. If you have already built the SE5a this one will go even faster.

-Jon