Old Dec 08, 2006, 04:51 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss
Guys
Some DVII engine detail to help you along, note it does not show the channels that protect the rocker boxes from the muzzle blasts etc.

Steve
Nice.. do you have the source? 3DSMAX? I'd love to see the 3d model of the engine (solidworks or inventor)... I'm starting to build mini (running) IC models and that would be an interesting one...
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2006, 05:48 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Steve (floss) is my source for good WW1 airplane pictures, he knows where to find them. Steve,maybe you could tell me what parts of a SE-5a fuselage are fabric covered and what parts are metal covered? I think that just the top ,back of the cockpit is fabric. I want to add some panel lines to my SE-5a.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Dec 08, 2006, 06:23 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Spinnetti
The site is http://mwmiller.theaerodrome.com Can you show us some of the engines you build even though they are not on topic. I saw an ad in a magazine about 18 months ago about an auction that was taking place in Europe. It was one of the worlds largest miniature engine collections up for grabs. Full working mini aero engines etc, amazing stuff. There is a guy down here who builds 1/3 size WW1 aero-engines, the article said his neighbours complain when he fires them up in his driveway. Wish I could be one of his neighbours.

Mike
Will have a look around, keep up the good work.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:09 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Mike

Your best reference is probably this particular SE5a that was built to exacting standards and shows the definition between fabric, ply and panel.

Quote: "The fuselage was fabric covered except for plywood sides which ran from the removable panels on the nose to the front spar on the lower wing. There was also plywood surrounding the immediate cockpit area."

Some interesting facts:
1) The SE5a's tailplane incidence could be changed in flight

2)No 24 squadron re-rigged several of their SE5a's with reduced dihedral to improve maneuverability

3) The prototypes wings folded in flight killing the pilot.

Check out this site http://storage.mfa.free.fr/se5photouk.html
Old Dec 08, 2006, 08:19 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss
Spinnetti
The site is http://mwmiller.theaerodrome.com Can you show us some of the engines you build even though they are not on topic. I saw an ad in a magazine about 18 months ago about an auction that was taking place in Europe. It was one of the worlds largest miniature engine collections up for grabs. Full working mini aero engines etc, amazing stuff. There is a guy down here who builds 1/3 size WW1 aero-engines, the article said his neighbours complain when he fires them up in his driveway. Wish I could be one of his neighbours.

Mike
Will have a look around, keep up the good work.

Steve
Thanks for the info.. here's a little (.75 bore) water cooled gasoline powered 2 cylinder OHV 4 stroke spark ignition engine that was designed by someone else (hand drawn prints with 3 castings and the rest fabricated), and my progress so far including 3d cad redesign. The radial is my next project (all but the back cover fabricated) and I haven't started yet. Its a lot more work, and about a foot in diameter. I've been dragging my feet as I need to build a cam and crank grinder and other tools (I did just make a vac former tho

There's a 18cylinder radial too.. most amazing: check the fully scale Merlin.. I can't even imagine building it.

http://www.agelessengines.com/
http://www.bobshores.com/
Last edited by spinnetti; Dec 08, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 08:44 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Thats some nice work, the radial is out of this world. Gotta be the ultimate in modelling.

Steve
Old Dec 09, 2006, 09:21 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Dogfight!
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2006, 10:20 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Dogfight!
That is a GREAT picture! I wish I had somebody to dogfight with
I flew the DV for a couple touch and go's at dusk today.. finally getting my landings down without flipping over

Check this out: http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/Default.asp?page=60
For all I've spent on R/C, I could have the real thing! (been thinking about doing a DVII or DVIII instead of R/C)..
Old Dec 10, 2006, 08:04 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Mark Wolf,
I agree about dulling the finish. The way I do it is ,after cleaning with denatured alcohol I brush(use wide foam brush)on Liquitex matte varnish in one direction then when dry I brush on another coat crossing the direction of the first coat. It really gives it a nice fabric looking finish. After all thats what these planes were covered with except for the areas that were metal..
Mike

I just dulled my D-VII using the Liquitex matte varnish, and I will say that I'm very impressed with this stuff! It goes on very easy and a little goes a long way. I too used a foam brush, and the streaking affect really looks good. When the model is completed, it won't have that toyish look to it. You guys should give it a try!

Cheers!
imodel is online now Find More Posts by imodel
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
imodel-

any pics of it?

spar
sparrow1717 is online now Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:57 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
So, which one of these little birds flies best?
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:11 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
So, which one of these little birds flies best?
Well IMHO and by the slightest of margins the DVII. Both are excellent flyers.

MIke
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:00 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Any one try one of the Clone motors such as the HXT28-30CAL or the HXT25D28

They are a little hotter wind than the suggested Rimfire and a little longer, but the weight and amps seem right and I would guess either one of those would fly this plane good to great.

Any thoughts?

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Any 120-150w motor should work well......

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
I'm planning to try the Eflite Park 370 outrunner in mine as it is " on the shelf" so to speak, and it swings the same size prop as what is suggested, but it will be a couple days yet because I'm doing a lozenge colour scheme on mine before I assemble it. There's nothing really wrong with what comes on it, I just have to be different
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron