SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:18 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Mark Wolf,
I agree about dulling the finish. The way I do it is ,after cleaning with denatured alcohol I brush(use wide foam brush)on Liquitex matte varnish in one direction then when dry I brush on another coat crossing the direction of the first coat. It really gives it a nice fabric looking finish. After all thats what these planes were covered with except for the areas that were metal..
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:33 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Mark Wolf,
I agree about dulling the finish. The way I do it is ,after cleaning with denatured alcohol I brush(use wide foam brush)on Liquitex matte varnish in one direction then when dry I brush on another coat crossing the direction of the first coat. It really gives it a nice fabric looking finish. After all thats what these planes were covered with except for the areas that were metal..
Mike
That sounds like a great way to do it, I'll remember that for the future. I went the quick and simple route: wipe down with alcohol and a light coat of Testors Model Master flat clear from a rattle can.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:47 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Mark ,
I'm putting on the last coat now. I'll add some pics when its done.I weighed the wing before and will weigh it when done to see how much weight is added.It;s the wing for the SE-5a the fokker D-VII is still in the box.
Mike
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:30 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Mark,
Here are some before and after pics of the SE-5a wing. The after pics are with the matte varnish brushed on. It added 3g to the wing.I put the wing in the same place to show the wing in the same lighting.
Mike
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:36 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Mike that looks fantastic - where do you get that stuff????

3g per wing is well worth it....less than 1/2oz for the whole plane!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:37 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
That looks great! This technique will certainly come in handy for future projects!
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:44 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I got it from Michaels, but any craft or art supply store should have it.You can find in with the artists paints and stuff.
Mike
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:46 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Great Tip on how to dull it up! Mikey likes it. The Fokker looks sweet but I don't have mine yet, but my friend has bought one. Won't get to it until after Christmas with all that is happening. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2006, 06:05 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Hey Guys,
That 3 grams of weight is on my scale and its not a very good scale so it can be plus or minus . When using this varnish be sure not to put it on too thick and if you want you can thin it with a little water. I use it straight from the bottle just like my whiskey
Mike
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:20 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
So Mike you like how it "sticks" on the covering I take it??? I will grab a bottle this week. I was going to just clear coat it - but that fabric weave trick is kicking....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:33 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Mike,
It sticks real good and you can still shrink the covering with it on if you need to. Just be sure to clean the surface of the covering real good with denatured alcohol before putting it on.
Mike
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:25 PM
lakeridge VA.
Joined Jan 2005
77 Posts
mike,
bueatiful motor,
thanks for the link,
I have alot of work to get up to that level, good thing this plane came out in the fall/winter. bad weather leaves lots of building time
wpnguy is offline Find More Posts by wpnguy
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:42 PM
zahgurim
Joined Sep 2004
244 Posts
The flat finish really makes a big differance. At least finally we are starting to see some scale ARF's coming in a flat scheme. Check out this ME 109. This hopefully will be the shape of things to come. You have to pay for it, but If I could have gotten a lozenge scheme on my DVII, I think it would have been worth $10-$20. http://keyword.netscape.com/ns/boomf...Fwww.kmp.ca%2F
rperry is offline Find More Posts by rperry
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:00 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Guys
Some DVII engine detail to help you along, note it does not show the channels that protect the rocker boxes from the muzzle blasts etc.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:43 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Perfect Steve - looks great! I think just the top for me.......

Mike
RCG Plus Member