HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:52 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
rperry,
I agree you about this being a wonderful plane. We were playing "pass the Tx" at the field the other day. The others that flew the plane had the same grin that I get when I fly this thing. I use no mixing, a small amount of differential on the ailerons, 10% expo and the high rate throws. Flying coordinated with the rudder and ailerons makes it look so realistic. Keep up the speed on final and carry a bit of power as the wings have a tendency to wash out the elevator if you flair too early.
Not often do I build the same plane twice but I just ordered another kit to have a spare
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:40 AM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Gary,
What kind of flight times are you getting with the stock setup and a TP 3-cell 1320 pack?

Thanks,
Tony
HogCrewChief is online now Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Nov 30, 2006, 02:41 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
Tony,
I am getting an easy 8 minutes with a TP 1320 Prolite. I usually put back between 650 and 750mah depending on how much WOT I use. I use WOT for takeoff and only occasionally in the air as it make the plane fly too fast to be scale like.
Gary
Old Dec 01, 2006, 11:02 AM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Gary,
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to head out to the LHS and pick one up!!

Tony
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:09 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
879 Posts
Hey Tony!

Looks like we can do some formation flying come Spring! I'v got one waiting in the wings to put together.

Cheers ... Rick
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
FMS model

Mine is ready to fly, but looking at how beautiful it is, I don't have the heart to maiden it yet.

Never flew a biplane before and I'd like to get a first feeling of how it's different from other models. Is there a FMS model available that resembles the DVII so that I can practice a little?

Thanks,

Serban
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Dec 01, 2006, 04:49 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
Serban,
You seem to have some angst about the maiden flight. I pointed mine into the light breeze, held about 3/4 up elevator and opened the throttle. It wanted to go to the right at first because of the right thrust that is built into the firewall. A tap of left rudder put things right and it was in the air. Flies like a trainer with no bad habits. I checked mine carefully before flying and needed no trim or adjustments, a rare thing. Keep some speed and fly it down to the ground with a bit of power for landings. It likes to nose over if you get too slow when it touches down.
Have fun, it flies great.
Gary
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:18 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
I've only got one flight on mine so far (working dark to dark), but mine needs quite a bit of static up elevator for level flight. Otherwise it flew great. cg is right on per manual. Any thoughts? (slightly off wing incidence or something? - eyeballed ok)
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:01 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Rick,
Nice to hear from ya! That sounds like fun! What setup are you going to be using?

Tony
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:30 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
spinetti
sounds like the CG could go aft a little bit...maybe not much, but it sounds nose heavy to me.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:45 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
879 Posts
Tony,

My LHS didn't have the recommended motor in stock. But I've got an E-Flite 480 that I might use. I need to check the weight of it and see how it compares with the Rim Fire motor. To use the 480, I'd have to make a new mount for it. Someone did something similar a few posts back and it looked like it was easy to do. I won't be building it for a while yet, as I've got an A4 Skyhawk on the bench at the moment. This EDF bug has bit me pretty hard! The D-VII is pretty sharp though and has long been a fav of mine! The club has a small group of e-pilots that get together on calm mornings, they call themselves the "Dawn Patrol". The D-VII is very fitting then, eh!

Cheers!
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:53 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
That 480 is going to be two things, too heavy and too much power for the D.VII. The stock Rimfire will pull it vertical with the prop Tower sells and recommends.
Gary
Old Dec 02, 2006, 07:26 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
879 Posts
Gary....I know that the 480 has more power, but it's what I have on hand. I still have time before deciding though, as I have other projects that need to be finished first. Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Cheers!
Old Dec 02, 2006, 10:38 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,078 Posts
got some more flights in..

I moved my esc back a few inches and glued down my battery - elevator is now neutral. I mixed in a 30% rudder on ailerons which makes turns a single action, but also makes take off a little hairy unless I just punch it. I think I'll probably take most of the rudder mix back out.

I practiced a bunch of landings to get used to it, including one on the lawn. I nosed over the first 4, but finally got used to it and could set it down neatly in the street. I guess my worries about the landing gear are unfounded unless I really crash it in.

Inverted is pretty good with a bit of elevator, but rolls are still mighty slow. Trying to practice some elevator in rolls, then will add rudder, but still not confident unless I have lots of altitude..

Anywho, it sure is a nice little flyer for cruising around, though it doesn't seem to like the wind much.

Looks like the 400xt is more than enough motor and generally I didn't fly over 1/2 throttle (didn't look scale faster). It could probably fly fine on 2S.

Well back to the charger to see how its coming

** edit **
Did about 10 more landings, about 50% of which nosed over Doh!
But, I did determine that I can land it in my driveway which is how I liked to do it with my slowstick (which this replaces). I'm also wearing the wingtips off rubbing on the rough pavement.. going to have to put some plastic rub blocks on there.
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Dec 02, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2006, 11:30 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
I put a strip of velcro, the hook part, in the battery area. I can move the Lipo back and forth to establish the CG. Mostly forward for the TP Prolite 1320 Lipos which are more than adequate. I flew once with a TP2100 and the plane was very nose heavy. You are right about the wind. I flew mine the other day when the wind was gusting. It was all over the sky and the landing was not pretty
Gary