HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:06 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Discussion
120 inch plane.

hi guys i am realy thinking about making a 120 inch wingspan plane in like the style of a cap ore somthing...

could you guvs give me some arofoils what i could print off in to large scale?

gow do i work out what the with of the wing would be aswell??

thanks.
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Another one of your great projects that fizzle out after a week or so???

Why waste our time?
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:11 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
can u help me?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:32 PM
Suspended Account
Nebraska, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
no... Dude think about it, if a Great Planes 330 that has a wing span of 100" requires a 3-5.2 sized engine... That's a huge engine for a plane of that style with a 120" wing span. First, electronics will cost WAY more than a teen age job can support, also the engine, wood, plans, ect. Teens can't support hobbies THAT big. It's just not going to happen unless your parents will support you financially. I know my parents would just laugh at me. Sorry man, but think about it realisticly.
trab1925 is offline Find More Posts by trab1925
Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:49 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
spitfire123,

The successful planes I've seen that have met the 55 lb. rule with that span have been of the Cub variety. In order to keep the structural integrity at that size, you'll bust the 55 lb. rule and will need to get a waiver for AMA insurance coverage. That's in the range where expert piloting skills are required - get out of control with on and it's major carnage. So, do you have the piloting skills to handle one of those monsters beyond a Cub or Champ or that size? Do you have the place to fly it? Do you have to facilities and finances to build, and then attend to the care and feeding of such a monster? Oh yeah, do you have a large trailer to transport it?

If you really want to tackle a big fighter, look at Ziroli plans. Very well proven fliers by a noted and competent designer, otherwise look at building a Cub or similar. A Cub of that magnitude, like the Balsa USA isn't all that hard to fly and may make a second trainer if you have sharp skills, and do make a good third trainer or giant scale trainer.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:16 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
thank you verry much for your comments....

but i sorta have the funds to do it with............

and i can get ply extreamly cheaply for 3mm 8 foot sheets!!

and ive allready made up a rib..

what i did was some 1 on another thread posted a rib if a 40 sized cap and i maxines it to about 4-5 times bigger and technicly the compuer made it to scale for me because some 1 had scanned the rib off of planes and i just made it bigger!

so what do u recon?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:17 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab1925
no... Dude think about it, if a Great Planes 330 that has a wing span of 100" requires a 3-5.2 sized engine... That's a huge engine for a plane of that style with a 120" wing span. First, electronics will cost WAY more than a teen age job can support, also the engine, wood, plans, ect. Teens can't support hobbies THAT big. It's just not going to happen unless your parents will support you financially. I know my parents would just laugh at me. Sorry man, but think about it realisticly.

i have a 49 cc engne going spare is that enough?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:36 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
is that your mini max?
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:47 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire123
thank you verry much for your comments....

but i sorta have the funds to do it with............

and i can get ply extreamly cheaply for 3mm 8 foot sheets!!

and ive allready made up a rib..

what i did was some 1 on another thread posted a rib if a 40 sized cap and i maxines it to about 4-5 times bigger and technicly the compuer made it to scale for me because some 1 had scanned the rib off of planes and i just made it bigger!

so what do u recon?
Sorta have and actually have the funds are two different things.

Exactly what engine is your 49cc engine?

Plywood rib - is this a root rib, or where you planning on using plywood for all the ribs? If you're planning on plywood for all the ribs, you better do a good engineering analysis on them to maximum strength and minimum weight, then have them laser cut for accuracy. I've done plenty of ribs from plywood, and the weight will add up quickly.

Actually with the size of plane you want, you had better plan on doing a good stress analysis on the whole airframe if you want to keep the weight to a manageable level, or else performance will suffer terribly.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:43 AM
Suspended Account
Nebraska, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
I guess it could work out? I have a Super Tigre 3000 that I was planning on putting in a Decathalon or the huge Balsa USA cub but then I looked into electronics and I said screw it. Also the landing gear for the cub is expensive for me. I have to pay for ALL of my crap. So yeah I decided not to go with that plan and I ordered a Pheonix Extra 300s. Then I got an O.S. .46 AX for it used. I decided to stick with the 40s range. I think biggest I will go untill I get the money to support a big plane and it's fuel charge I'm going to stick with 40's - 60's sized engines. I'm happy having one plane!
trab1925 is offline Find More Posts by trab1925
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:14 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Sorta have and actually have the funds are two different things.

Exactly what engine is your 49cc engine?

Plywood rib - is this a root rib, or where you planning on using plywood for all the ribs? If you're planning on plywood for all the ribs, you better do a good engineering analysis on them to maximum strength and minimum weight, then have them laser cut for accuracy. I've done plenty of ribs from plywood, and the weight will add up quickly.

Actually with the size of plane you want, you had better plan on doing a good stress analysis on the whole airframe if you want to keep the weight to a manageable level, or else performance will suffer terribly.

Hogflyer

i was going to cut it with a gig saw not a lazer!!!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:15 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
its my mini moto engine what im converting...
its got about 5 hp stock and about 9,000 revs.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:16 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt
is that your mini max?

mini moto
LOL
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:59 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire123
i was going to cut it with a gig saw not a lazer!!!
OK, we understand now

You can let go of our legs now
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
hey i was close wasnt i. is that motor running yet and ready for a plane?
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Closed Thread