HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2006, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Discussion
Amazing Scratch Built Electric!!...30Lb. China Clipper Flying Boat

A little over a year ago, We were contacted by Mr. Dan Dewey and his father "Red". They explained over the phone that they needed 4 electric motors that would work on a flying boat. I told them to bring the model down to our facility.

They arrived at our facility with a model that had started construction in 1996. The goal was to re-create the Original China Clipper Flyin boat. They used the Original full-scale drawing reduced them and started building.....

The finished model has a 13' wing span and weighs 30Lbs. featuring Scale lighting both inside and out, detailed interior and exterior, detailed pilots and passengers, scale radial engines, scale size 3 blade props, scale hatches.

The model uses 4ea. Hacker A50-12L outrunners on 5S Lipoly turning scale 12x12 props with 4ea. X-70 Pro controllers. Each motor draws about 42 amps@756watts. Total power is over 3Kw.

Here are some pics with captions.

-Sean
Hacker Brushless USA, Inc.
Splummer is offline Find More Posts by Splummer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2006, 04:06 PM
Lockport, Ill
Joined Aug 2003
182 Posts
Sean,
Please don't stop now. We need more. How did the water test go? Is it ready to fly?
Oh boy , I have go and sit down.
Rich
houndsfour is offline Find More Posts by houndsfour
Old Nov 09, 2006, 04:10 PM
Lincs, England
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Thats like showing a kid a packet of sweets and telling him he can't have them,
MORE please
Doc.heckle is offline Find More Posts by Doc.heckle
Old Nov 09, 2006, 08:14 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Marina Del Rey California
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
What a fantastic model! More please! I would love to build one in a scale I could actually afford
Bomberguy is offline Find More Posts by Bomberguy
Old Nov 09, 2006, 08:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
The Martin 130 China Clipper was indeed an incredible flying boat...It started the long range 4 engine transport revolution,in many ways.

Sometimes Sikorsky S42s and Boeing 314s are also called China Clippers, but the name is only perfectly accurate for the Martin 130, as is modeled here.

That is a heck of a great model!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:21 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty damn intense...we need more pics...
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:22 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
The water taxi test went ok, the model was tricky to control at part throttle taxi speeds. The left wing is heavy and weight is being added to the right wing. Also the motors are set at 0 degrees right thrust. about 1.5 degrees of right thrust is being added to the motors.

The plane is now at the London Bridge Seaplane Classic being held this weekend in Lake Havasu, Az. here is a link for the event:http://www.deserthawksrc.com/page6.html

Best Regards,
Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:04 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
679 Posts
PanAm Clippers

PanAm referred all of their fleet as "Clippers". The "XXXXX Clipper" name was carried on up until the end of the company. In fact, PanAm trademarked the clipper name. When Piper produced the PA-17 Clipper, PanAm took legal action, forcing Piper to drop it and change the name to Vagabond. That's why there is a PA-15 Vagabond and PA-17 Vagabond. Do a search on PanAm and you will probably find all the clipper names used by the company.

This is an awesome build, I can't wait to see the video.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:37 PM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Gasp!
I wonder if they mortgaged the house for the power systems?
A real beauty though. I hope all goes well.
We'll just have to wait until after the event to get a report.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:14 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
879 Posts
All I can say is, WOW! Very cool project. Hope all goes well at the event this weekend.
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:09 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
May I ask where you acquired the propellers?

I would venture to say they are 3-blade VarioProps on 12C hubs because it appears the root joinals can swivel when not locked by the spinner. But the spinner (the screwable hub nut) looks a shade different and scale blades for the 12C hub don't come in 12-inch diameter.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Nov 13, 2006, 01:16 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
What Mike said...

There were 10 S42s in the Pan Am Clipper fleet (don't have the names), 3 M130s (Hawaii, Phillipine, and China Clippers), and 3 314s from Boeing (Yankee, Dixie and ?).

Gorgeous aircraft all, with interesting histories!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:55 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Maiden Flight

Fiday ended up being High winds with white caps on the the water, the maiden flight was postponed until better weather.

Saturday was perfect, no wind and calm water. The model was readied for flight all surfaces double checked and with the all packs charged the model was moved to the water. the model taxied to take-off position and the throttles advanced.

The model smoothly accelerated and lifted to about 2 feet above the water, then VIOLENTLY Pitched nose high and Snapped over, the wing tip caught and the the model flipped inverted , resting in the water upside down!!

Both Dan Dewey and "Red" were shocked and saddened by the crash, the model was dragged to shore (To Heavy to lift into the recovery boat as the wing had filled with water).

Dan stated the model will never fly again..............

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:04 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,528 Posts
That's a bummer. Hope they can get it all fixed up to at least be an awesome display model.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:31 AM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
614 Posts
Has anyone got any theories as to why the model would have suddenly pitched violently nose up, it almost sounds as if there was a cg issue or water had got into the fuselage and worked it's way towards the tail on takeoff. It's a shame she'll spend the rest of her days as a hanger queen, she'd have been quite a sight in the air if she'd been sorted out.
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978