HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2002, 07:25 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Another pic of a CD-ROM motor.

I thought I'd post a new pic of my best to date effort at making a useable motor from a CD-ROM drive. This is a 15 turn, 26 gauge motor out of a lite-ons drive. It uses 4 ball bearing from GWS drive systems. It's support is made from bout 1.5'' of a hornet boom that has 2 ball bearings inside for support. It runs very nicely and is a little stronger than the AF010 I've got on the 4.7x4.7 prop, although I don't know what the current draw is yet.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Last edited by Jim McPherson; Sep 01, 2002 at 07:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2002, 07:26 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Here's the pic.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 11:00 PM
Philadelphia, Pa
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
about winding these badboys

Ive never winded my own motor, so do you know of a site or info how I should go about winding one of these? These DIY brushless' intregue me cause you get nice power out of such a little package. Also what ESC should I look into for one of these? I already have all the parts disassembled and ready for conversion. Unfortunately in the process I tapped a hole in one of the bearings and dented the other. I just hope I can find replacements for them.
Otaku is offline Find More Posts by Otaku
Old Sep 01, 2002, 02:30 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
check out the homemade brushless thread below (or possibly above :-) ) for all the info on how to wind one of these motors.

-Jim
Old Sep 01, 2002, 10:33 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Nice work Jim.
My previous plastic work melt under 3amp loads. So if your current is less than 3 amps it should be fine.
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Sep 01, 2002, 06:01 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,791 Posts
Re: about winding these badboys

Quote:
Originally posted by Otaku
Ive never winded my own motor, so do you know of a site or info how I should go about winding one of these?
The home made brushless thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&goto=lastpost

A FAQ on diy brushless outrunner motors:
www.yahoogroups.com
-> click 'files'
-> click 'lrk-torquemax_FAQ.doc' (Word document)

Met vriendelijke groet Ron van Sommeren
lrk homebuilt outrunner e-motor discussion group.
E-fly-in & lrk meet, June 23, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Sep 01, 2002, 06:14 PM
Philadelphia, Pa
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
awesome

Thanks much Ron. I've been reading that thread for a while now and it seems as such their pretty easy to convert. But the controller/esc is another question. I dont see the idea of spending 50+ dollars for a BL esc for a motor ive so far put about 1 dollars worth of materials in.
Old Sep 01, 2002, 06:45 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
So far I have wound two motors, both 15 turns of #26, I have not put any bearings in them yet, although I have put some nice ones from a plexor drive together and intend to get there. I currently run the APC 4.5 x 4.1 prop and it draws 4 amps. Both use stock bearings and are pushers. I use a piece of fiberglass very much like the first post above to mount them. Both planes have flown nicely, the Pushy G. which was somewhat aerobatic and the F-22 which just looks real nice cruzing around. I have drawn as high as 6 amps using a gunther prop and haven't melted anything yet (pushing my luck there). My favorite motor controller is the TMM 08-03 which is really a perfect match for the motor. It seems to me that $60, and a little time, for a brushless motor and controller is a pretty good deal. I am real happy with the power/weight ratio.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Sep 02, 2002, 12:45 PM
Philadelphia, Pa
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
ok, im ready for winding

Just one question before I begin (just so I correct). Three equal lengths of wire, but where they begin, I have to join all three of these together, right? If so, do I scrape off a small bit enamel off the three winds to get an electrical connection?
Old Sep 02, 2002, 07:52 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
I start with a 3" piece dangling under the stator, come up behind and over winding 15 turns clockwise looking at the end of the stator. Move over two stators and go under and over the next and put 15 turns on that one. Skip two and finish putting 15 turns on the last of that set. The next set starts with the next stator clockwise from the beginning of the first set and repeats the same pattern. The last set starts with the next stator clockwise and repeats the same pattern. The starting wires are clipped to about 1/2", stripped and soldered. The three remaining wires, which are the ending wires of each of the three sets are connected to a brushless motor controller and there you have it. Usually I check the resistance of the windings prior to soldering the three beginnings together looking for a short. the stators are sharp and the first time I had to redo the job because i nicked the insulation and there was a short.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP